For those of you with 2 track bikes....

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I'm faced with a dilemma. The wife says I can get an 09 R1, but I have to convert my 07 ZX6R back to street and trade it in. But I'm thinking I could just take the money I'd spend on the difference, and get a 2nd track bike (that already has some goodies on it).

So for the people that have 2 bikes, should I go the one bike route or get a second used one. I'm thinking that riding 2 bikes on the same track would be more fun, and wouldn't end my season should one of them go to motorcycle heaven. But then I've got two bikes to buy parts for and tinker with. arrrrrrgh. HELP!:banghead::dunno:

Gorilla

Control Rider
Two bikes, plus you can get a good used trackbike already set up for half the price of a new one.

dlockhart5x

I went with bikes at the opposite ends of the spectrum which allows me to develope a more full range of skills. The 250 is all about preservation of momentum and corner speeds. The Mille weighs 200 pounds too much (any bike over 200 pounds is too heavy) but has that wonderfull big twin grunt on corner exit so it requires a much different approach. I don't see a need for two of the same unless you are racing and need a "B" bike to guard points loss to a DNS or set up as a rain bike on those iffy weekends where you have to make the wet/dry call last minute.

Demps

I understand this is all subjective and it really matters what you want, but I think it is obvious.........

2 freaking bikes no question about it. The 09 R1 is sweet, but you don't want to lay that down and have to pay to repair it. Keep the 07 ZX6R as your nice track bike and get another 5-6 year old 600 (or liter, whatever you are into) that is already nicely set up suspension wise and make it your track slave. It can be something that you can ride that crap out of and learn on that you are not worried about wrecking. You can push it harder with no fear of wrecking an 09 R1.....

Love to be in your spot....get 2 bikes.

:D

minman26

If you said any other bike besides the new R1 (ok, maybe a 1098R, etc), my answer would have been 2 bikes in a second. After thinking about it for a bit though... I still have to go with two bikes. Let them refine the new R1 over the next year or two. In the meantime really hone your skills on the track. I would lean toward recommending a liter bike since that is where you are heading. Then you'll know which you like better. A lot of people prefer a 600 on the track. Heck maybe in two years the R6 will have the cross-plane engine!

jasonhise

I have a designated track bike, a 2003 ZX-6RR and a 2006 GSXR 1K that does double duty. I have considered selling the GSXR, but still like to ride on the street occasionally. That being said, there's not too many things cooler or comforting than having a second bike available at the track in case you wad one of them up and not yourself. I feel more comfortable on the little bike than the big one, but I just need more track time w/ the GSXR. If you can have two set up bikes, go for it!!!!

PJZOCC624

For me, if I were to get a streetbike, it'd be a cruiser. I think if you got the R1, you're gonna wanna put it on the track at some point. Then you start to worry about crashing your brand new street ride.... Sport bikes just arent fun on the street anymore (at least, for me), especially when doing track days. So, I guess I'd go with a 2nd track bike.

Motofun352

Control Rider
I started out on a '00 R1 then bought a fully prepped '05 GSXR 750. I ride the 750 almost exclusively though I haven't switched the R1 back to street...not worth much I guess but the insurance is still high so I just kept it in track set-up. Having 9 other bikes for street/dirt riding helps with the dilema, though....:D.

I think it would be hoot to take one of the old 2 strokes or the CBX out on the track but they'd be so slow I'm afraid of being a target, plus I really wouldn't want to crash them. I wonder if anyone has given any thought to an "AHRMA" type track day???

MB3

I run two Zx7r. One set up for the track, the other street. Although I would love to step up to more modern hardware, this situation has worked rather well. When I wadded up the track bike I just cannabalized the street bike and was ready to get back on the track the following weekend. Then took my time finding used parts on ebay and put it back together cheap without any down time. Another bonus is never having to buy new tires for your street bike again. Take-offs work great at street pace and you don't even need to take them off, just swap the rims and get new tires at the track. I cant come to grips with taking a brand new bike to track, especially if it isnt paid in full.

Prix

ninjamansc;39759 wrote: I'm faced with a dilemma. The wife says I can get an 09 R1, but I have to convert my 07 ZX6R back to street and trade it in. But I'm thinking I could just take the money I'd spend on the difference, and get a 2nd track bike (that already has some goodies on it).

So for the people that have 2 bikes, should I go the one bike route or get a second used one. I'm thinking that riding 2 bikes on the same track would be more fun, and wouldn't end my season should one of them go to motorcycle heaven. But then I've got two bikes to buy parts for and tinker with. arrrrrrgh. HELP!:banghead::dunno:
Personally I would never buy new, wait about 2 months or so after they come out someone will buy one then return it or want to sell it, and you will get a bike for about 2,000 less with a few hundred miles on it, and lets face it if you treat a Japenesse bike well they can last over 100,000 miles, so whats a few hundred or even a few thousand. As far as getting two track bikes, I would love that but cant afford it.

Prix

TheGrouch;39890 wrote: 100k miles on a trackbike? Puff puff pass! Obviously you're bogarting the good stuff.
Ya your right I meant a street bike. I am on my second trackbike and the 1st I sold as a streetbike and only did 3 days on it so I couldnt comment on it, cause I have only done 4 on my current bike.

stephenjpauls

MB3;39808 wrote: I run two Zx7r. One set up for the track, the other street. Although I would love to step up to more modern hardware, this situation has worked rather well. When I wadded up the track bike I just cannabalized the street bike and was ready to get back on the track the following weekend. Then took my time finding used parts on ebay and put it back together cheap without any down time. Another bonus is never having to buy new tires for your street bike again. Take-offs work great at street pace and you don't even need to take them off, just swap the rims and get new tires at the track. I cant come to grips with taking a brand new bike to track, especially if it isnt paid in full.
:agree: This is the route I would like to go... I have been trying to figure out how to tell the wife I want to get yet another bike. I understand having two bikes that are way different being fun... but the advantage of having a "parts" bike as a backup would be GREAT! That also helps with the dilemma of having to have to set up two bikes for the track. Buy one with all the goodies your current bike doesn't have. Move them over to your "A" bike. Have your "B" bike as a backup in case you crash... then if your short of cash just move parts from one bike to another until you have the funds to get the second going. That said there is another part of me that would LOVE to get a little 250 cup bike just because they look so fun. :dunno:

cheers,
Steve

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I think I'm gonna go the 2 bikes route. I don't ride on the street anymore and if I got the R1 it'd be 90% track 10% street. So I'll get a second bike and maybe in a couple years when the aftermarket has caught up and any production problems are sorted, I can use it as my "pretty" track bike.

I don't want to do the "two bikes the same" thing, and don't really want another 600, so would an SV1000/650 be enough of a difference to up my skill level and still maintain the dichotomous fun factor, or a 2-3 year old 1000 inline four?

dlockhart5x

ninjamansc;39901 wrote: would an SV1000/650 be enough of a difference to up my skill level and still maintain the dichotomous fun factor, or a 2-3 year old 1000 inline four?
Wink would be a good person to ask. He has everything from a KWS GSXR 1K ama bike, a gixer 6, a SV650, and Aprilia cup bike and ???? He may have a few more track bikes somewhere.

Wink is one of the few people who is able to hop bike to bike and be fast on all of them.