Forks????

1literduceater

I have only done about 6 days on my current 03 600rr track bike. Feels nothing like my prior 04 - same exact setup in the front - Racetec fork springs, same fork oil, weight, amount, etc - Penske in the rear. I have played around with the suspention alot. As well I have put on new rotors, tried different wheels, etc. I had a good friend pull them apart this winter for a fluid change, check the springs and all checked out i.e. right spring weight, etc. Bike still doesnt turn in the way I like. I was at a Roger Lyle day recently - took the bike over to CTR - the dude played with them for a few minutes and told me they were "screwed up" and he wouldnt be able to tell what it is until he took them apart. The thing that I really cant get is the rebound screw goes on and on and on....I think my last bike the screw stopped at the top or just a bit in the tube. Anyhow I am contimplating buying new/used forks and pulling the springs in my currect forks and placing them in the new ones.

The problem I am experiencing is at turn in. Left turns the bike dives in very fast, somewhat out of control, and feels as though I will lose the front at any moment. I cant just get it to come down, roll through the turn and then left up as I get on the gas. I feel like I am making constant changes in left turns. Right turns I need to put more input into the bars (not a crazy amount but some input) and once I am banked in it feels very solid and stuck to the track. Under heavy breaking the bike feels stable. Over rough track surface the bike feels fine...its just those dang left turns. If I get up to about 20 mph and let go of the bars the bike wants to pull to the left. I have double and tripple checked the forks are lined up correctly - one is not sticking out of the triple tree farther then the other.

Now I am NO suspension expert so there may be something minor or something major going on here. I know a little bit of the bike history - it has hit the ground a few times - once with me. My thinking is that the left fork or possibly the triple tree may be slightly bent from a prior crash thus causing me to feel what I am feeeling.

Thoughts?? Thanks!

Drewbie

Check the forks, triple, steering head, frame. Is the rear wheel aligned right? Sounds to me like somethnig is bent.

GMD computrack would be the 'best' way to get it checked. But thats very pricey. Start with the forks and rear wheel alignment. If the fork clickers arent right then something is wrong internally and needs to be fixed.

Just my quick thoughts.. busy at work.

ta2kutz

as for the rebound screw not working. most forks when taken apart to do springs need to be set with a starting measurement of the screw at a certain depth. when i got my zx the screws didnt have enough adjustment. 5 clicks was supposed to be 13. when i went in for the springs i reset the screw depth and then it was fine. thats what mine was.

physicistkev

Control Rider
It sounds like an alignment issue. Could be caused by the forks being mounted at different heights, bent forks, bent triple trees, bent steering head :(, bent swingarm, rear wheel not straight (one side of the axle further back or forward than the other) or even a bent front axle.

Long list, but try with the simple stuff. Get your forks checked out by one of the suspension shops. The screw should bottom out at some point? Check your swing arm and rear wheel alignment. Check your mounting height on your forks. Check your front axle. Beyond that, take it to GMD. They will let you know if your bike is not straight in any way shape or form.

greytop

One can put different rate springs in the front to achieve a "mid weight" (1.0 and .95 for ex...) so I doubt your issue of it turning easier one way over the other is in the front end...although the free turning rebound screw is something I would want to fix...

I'm with the mis-alignment or bent bike crowd...

JRA

took the bike over to CTR - the dude played with them for a few minutes and told me they were "screwed up" and he wouldnt be able to tell what it is until he took them apart.
Jon Tyus knows what he's talking about when it comes to suspension. If he says he can feel a problem then there is definitely something wrong.

1literduceater

Thanks for the feedback. I contacted Tom Kaley yesterday to see if he wouldnt mind taking a look at it with his new alignment tool. Hopefully we can meet up this Saturday morning. Think he will be able to give me a "yea" or "nay" on the swingarm.