Friggin' new bodywork

Swodi

So I ordered some new bodywork (motofairings if you care) and the sh!t just doesn't fit right. I'm used to this since this is my 2nd set of cheapo bodywork, but does it have to be this way? Do the more expensive brands like sharkskinz and/or armor bodies fit right out of the box without having to dremel the crap out of them? And of course the bodywork doesn't fit over the stock exhaust cat so now I have to jury-rig a mid-pipe or get a full exhaust (which I was going to get *eventually*). As it stands there will be many dremel sanding discs sacrificed to the gods of false economy. :banghead:

j_fuggin_t

i've got 2 sets of armor bodies, with ALL bodywork you have to take your time, now with that said i just drilled the dimples they had laid out put a little muscle behind it and they fit near perfect

Swodi

I'm going to get the exhaust one way or the other. If it were just the matter of the exhaust I'd make do. I tried and tried, but this bodywork can't be made to fit without cutting (which I'm ok with) and additional fiberglass fabrication (which I'm not ok with). It's too narrow, too short, and the upper fairing does not align with the fairing stay. I hate to do it, but I'm going to have to pack that crap up in the giant box of packing peanuts and send it back.

Swodi

j_fuggin_t;173659 wrote: i've got 2 sets of armor bodies, with ALL bodywork you have to take your time, now with that said i just drilled the dimples they had laid out put a little muscle behind it and they fit near perfect
I'm thinking about getting armor bodies. How much work were they to install? I've got some concerns about the tail section for my specific application, so if you know of anyone with experience with a GSXR I'd appreciate any and all info.

j_fuggin_t

Swodi;173682 wrote: I'm thinking about getting armor bodies. How much work were they to install? I've got some concerns about the tail section for my specific application, so if you know of anyone with experience with a GSXR I'd appreciate any and all info.
i had them drilled & mounted in less than 1.5 hours, they are a great company if something was wrong

Saltman

jfeagin

Armour Bodies are excellent! The hardest part about installing mine was taking off the stock bodywork. I just drilled the dimples they provide and the skins fit nearly perfectly. I did elongate a hole on each side where a bolt goes into the frame spar on either side of the engine. But that was maybe another two minutes and probably attributable to user error. I have no experience with other brands, but several of those at the $600 - $700 price point have good reputations. You probably can't go too far wrong with any of them.

Swodi

Thanks for the links. It amazes me how they just merrily start drilling before they get the stuff *really* fitted. I'm always checking and double checking, mocking it up with duct tape and a friend to see if it's going to actually fit before I get out the drill. Either they pre-fit it before they made the video or armor bodies really is that good.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
My Armourbodies fit well. ('07 gsxr 600). It took me some time, as it was the first set I ever did. Everything lined up really well for the most part. The first set I got didn't fit with the slip on exhaust (Yosh R55) as I have the stock cat and headers. Armour Bodies redesigned the lowers to now work with the stock headers/cat and they (Woodcraft) shipped me the new lowers at no cost. This was a couple of years ago, so I don't know if they still have 2 different lowers, but it would be something to ask about.

For the tailsection, if I drilled where the dimples are marked, then the tab for that under tail section didn't slot into the frame down by the shock. I just drilled a little farther up. Others who drilled where the dimples are just did a little duct taping to hold that under-part.

Wink

Armour Bodies, Attack, and Sharkskinz bolt right on, NO work whatsoever.

FWIW - I have about 15 sets of body work, the good ones are good. The cheap ones... are CRAP.

jfeagin

Swodi;173702 wrote: Thanks for the links. It amazes me how they just merrily start drilling before they get the stuff *really* fitted. I'm always checking and double checking, mocking it up with duct tape and a friend to see if it's going to actually fit before I get out the drill. Either they pre-fit it before they made the video or armor bodies really is that good.
They were that good. My experience was almost exactly like in those videos. Except I have less hair.

j_fuggin_t;173840 wrote:
:agree: their tail section for the 09 is a one piece which i would have rather had than the 2 piece from armor bodies
Zip ties, FTW!

some guy #2

I use Eracing or Optimal and nothing fancy was required. Some of the holes didn't line up but the test fit showed me where to drill. Crashed twice (flipped it even) and only one mounting point needs to be reinforced.