From 1 trackday to insufficient funds

slowpoke

I'm trying to laugh about it, but....

thought i might enjoy buying a second streetbike other than a harley to cruise around town and take the occasional aggressive ride without my better half on the back. oh, what's that? the yamaha comes with a free nesba track day? what's nesba stand for again? and the r1 is track-ready off the showroom floor and ready to go with no prep, really? oh, the track is to make me a safer street rider?

55 days later:
4 completed track days and signed up for 14 more

paid for:
suspension set-up
new arata rear sets (they were on clearance so it REALLY made sense)
2 oil changes and new coolant (engine ice only $50/ gallon)
new rear tire
tire chock and handlebar tie-downs, ratchet tie downs
towing hitch on the girlfriend's car + flowers for girlfriend since i didnt tell her she was getting a tow hitch
integrated tail light so less stuff to break off
tire gauge, plexus, couple of wrenches, number decals
u-haul rentals
frame sliders, spools
two helmets - first an Icon which i was later told to save that for the street so now - Arai
Alpinestar 1piece race suit
Alpinestar back protector, boots, and gloves

to do list:
race body work, trailer, more flowers for the girlfriend, tons more trackdays, maybe jewlery for the girlfriend, new levers, clip-ons, lap timer, easy-up, stands, tire warmers.

after i complete the to-do list, i figure i should be ready to get a bike that's more suited for the track like a 600 so i'll buy that and take a big loss on my then beat up low-sided, high-sided R1.

funniest part is that as i write out this list and really see where the money has gone, I still can't wait to get back on the track.

Thanks for the free track day!

Don't do what I did and wait to get track bodywork. Take off your OEM bodywork and sell it while you can haha. I decided to wait and crashed my first day out. That day I decided to quit street riding haha.
This hobby is so expensive but so worth it.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Welcome to the club, man. You can got away with all that for some flowers? SWEET! Definitely agree with getting race bodywork. The deal through Woodcraft is killer.

Oh and you forgot generator, front and rear stands, chain and sprockets, race exhaust, power commander, quickshifter, and lots and lots of tires. :(

You could always sell the Harley and pay for lots more days.:D

slowpoke

ninjamansc;64783 wrote: Welcome to the club, man. You can got away with all that for some flowers? SWEET! Definitely agree with getting race bodywork. The deal through Woodcraft is killer.

Oh and you forgot generator, front and rear stands, chain and sprockets, race exhaust, power commander, quickshifter, and lots and lots of tires. :(

You could always sell the Harley and pay for lots more days.:D
stands (easy ups?) i had, but totally forgot the generator to power the tire warmers that i hope to get. any suggestions on where to sell the OEM body work? looked on some of the yamaha forums and ebay but prices seemed very low for others who were selling theirs (about 800 and i was thinking more like 1500 including all lights including integrated).

As sacriligious as i once believed I actually considered selling our latest Harley to eliminate all street riding, but if I did that there aren't enough flowers in the world to keep her around b/c she loves riding 2-up on that thing (it's one of those comfy, old man baggers).

CptCurt

It won't be long until you are checking Craig's List for Toy Haulers and a Ford F250 dually to pull it. Trust me on this one.

ToddG

Control Rider
Director
This is why in the riders meetings Dutch (The Man, The Myth, The Legend) always said "Welcome to Our Addiction..... Slightly Less Addictive as Crack without the Rapid Weight Loss"

So, Welcome to Our Addiction!!!!!!!

BrianK01

i think i am in big trouble. i am already having trouble thinking about anything but my upcoming 1st trackday. i wonder if my wife will mind if i sell the house and car for trackday equipment:notsure:

krw

Yeah, join the club. I had a "budget" when I set out this winter to build a track bike. So...I try not to think about (or speak of) the "budget" anymore.

Bucky Badger

CptCurt;64823 wrote: It won't be long until you are checking Craig's List for Toy Haulers and a Ford F250 dually to pull it. Trust me on this one.
Its true...got the 2500 Diesel..now i'm looking for the toyhauler. :agree:

beac83

CptCurt;64823 wrote: It won't be long until you are checking Craig's List for Toy Haulers and a Ford F250 dually to pull it. Trust me on this one.
:haha:
It's true! In my case the enclosed trailer came after the 5th track day. :eek: The heavier duty tow vehicle came two track days later.... but before I destroyed the transmission on the Caravan.

Stock up on flowers and jewelry - you are going to need them.

JRA

With some people the progression from street bike, open trailer, and GF's car to multiple race bikes, HD diesel truck, and maxed out race trailer takes a few years. With others it happens almost over night. It's interesting to watch because members who have been around for a while have likely experienced this progression and seen it in others as well. The on track riding is what pulls you in, but over the long term the friendships you make, and the good times you have at the track riding and hanging out with friends will be what keep you coming back year after year. You don't necessarily have to have all the high dollar equipment to have a good time, but it sure does make things easier.

I'm also glad to again see that the NESBA/ Yamaha alliance is working out for both organizations. Somebody make sure Bob sees the first post in this thread.:)

Welcome aboard Slowpoke_R1!

NoBull

slowpoke_r1;64805 wrote: looked on some of the yamaha forums and ebay but prices seemed very low for others who were selling theirs (about 800 and i was thinking more like 1500 including all lights including integrated).
Don't expect 1500 unless you're also talking tank. Maybe if you sell it in pieces on ebay you will get more but it's also more work. 1500 is still high.

Welcome aboard.

rk97

BrianK01;64840 wrote: i wonder if my wife will mind if i sell the house and car for trackday equipment:notsure:
i'll save you the divorce hearing - yes, she will mind. ;)

trekuhl

Control Rider
slowpoke_r1;65360 wrote: black - yes 7/4 and 7/5
i just remember seeing a brand new red r1 lowside @ summit main last month or so...think it had 30day tags on it. felt bad for that guy...