Front brake questions

crash675

I don't seem to have much bite in the brakes on my 09 zx6. It will stop. No noise or pulsing. I could not do a stopple on this bike if my life depended on it. I just put braided Galfer lines on after my last track day due to running off track at end of the straight at Vir. Thought the lines expanded on me. I have plenty of material left on pads and I flushed system when I installed new lines. Any Ideas?

Greg ZX6R

I don't think the stock pads had an incredible amount of initial bite on them, but they worked well the first season I used them. The only brake modifications I've done are Goodridge lines and Performance Friction 07 pads, with ATE Super Blue fluid. The bike has more stopping power than I'm currently capable of exploiting to good use. Perhaps aftermarket pads are in order.

HokieRider

how does the lever feel? if its spongy or gives out you might need to look at the master cylinder.

if the pads dont fix the issue, make the the caliper pistons are moving as intended and not seized or stuck

denbsteph

lemondrop;242901 wrote: new pads. I use Carbone Lorraine.
:agree: I second that!

I remember you blowing by me at turn 1 and off into the grass. I'm glad you didn't plow into me :eek: I was like "where the f&*k is he going, does he know a short cut"

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
If it's a track only duty bike, some Vesrah XX's will do ya just fine. It's what I'm running. Couple of hard stops to get them warmed up, and you'll be endo'ing without trying.

stkr

I have had good luck with the Vesrah RJL pads, and last year I switched to DP Race pads and Braking wave rotors when I found some damage. Both pads work very well. My damage was from buying a used bike and ME not inspecting the brakes close enough. I wore through the pads and trashed the rotors. Expensive mistake on my part.

One thing to keep in mind is having a fully bled brake system. Don't forget to bleed the master cylinder as well as the calipers. It makes a huge difference in the feel and power of the brakes. Disassembled and cleaned calipers make a big difference also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorecki

Sounds to me like something isn't right. My '09 6R has had the rear wheel come off the ground a couple of times while braking completely stock other than brake fluid. I bleed/flush the system with Motul 600 once a year and that's about it! Have even been a little hesitant on putting Vesrah's on for fear they will bite too hard for street use.

shocker718

Lacking Brakes

Try EBC Double-H. They have always had great stopping bite. Also when you changed lines did you use a phnuematic brake bleeder. Because no matter how hard you try with the old conventional way of pumping and breaking the bleeder you can't get all the air out. Good luck.

Mitch 718

crash675

The lever feels great. I did buy the bike used. I test drove it before i bought it. I drove it again when I got home with it, but cant really test the late brakes on the street...enough tickets already. I took the bodywork off to paint it and do the lines and such so i still hadnt drove it. Now that the bodywork is painted and back on Im trying to hustle on the brake issue before this sunday. Im going to try new pads hope that helps. thanks for the replies peeps. Oh buy the way denbsteph I did not like that short cut at all. That shit stayed with me all day. Our CR said i needed to work on my braking into t1. i told him of my situation. I was letting off at the bend after the 3rd session.

Evil Cupcake

Control Rider
My 03 ZX-6R stops great...I got a used Aprilia RSVR Brembo master cylinder for 80.00, Goodridge lines, EBC-HH pads and Braking WK directional rotors and the bike stops great. It was all pretty affordable until I bought the rotors (469.00), but that was a good deal too. Cobie at California Superbike School was pretty happy with my braking.

crash675

Thanks for all the advice. I Belive I have some glazing issues. Im gonna clean the rotors up and install ebc hh pads today. The ebc hh is about the only thing I can get my hands on before Sunday at Vir.

crash675

Hit the rotors with some 120 sand paper and installed new pads. This seems to have solved the problem for now. Now I just need to bed them in and everything should be good.

Gorecki

Good to hear. That seems sort of course to me. I've used a little more like 220 sanding sponges but hey...if it worked, it worked!

trekuhl

Control Rider
i had XX on my old gsxr and they felt amazing compared to regular vesrah rjl's (stock master, steel lines) I went XX at the time because needed them ASAP for TD...they are a bit pricey, but i haven't done a cost comparison for wear life vs less expensive pad.

on my 09 zx6 it originally came with SBS? something pads, didnt like them. tried the ebc double H pads and they felt ok for the first few weekends than started fading hard.

i just switched to carbone loraine c59 pads and feel decent so far but only 2-3 days on them so far...i have steel lines but stock master. may try the XX pads again on the zx6 next go around to see if they are as good as i remember.

ive always run stock rotors and ATE blue/gold as well. ive noticed a bit of fade with the fluid the zx came with (think prior owner used motul?) and swapping to ATE seemed to negate that. even run ATE in truck.

so best bet is prob try a some of the recommendations for pads, lines, and fluid and see what feels comfortable for your riding style.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
trekuhl;243371 wrote: i just switched to carbone loraine c59 pads and feel decent so far but only 2-3 days on them so far...i have steel lines but stock master. may try the XX pads again on the zx6 next go around to see if they are as good as i remember.

ive always run stock rotors and ATE blue/gold as well. ive noticed a bit of fade with the fluid the zx came with (think prior owner used motul?) and swapping to ATE seemed to negate that. even run ATE in truck.

so best bet is prob try a some of the recommendations for pads, lines, and fluid and see what feels comfortable for your riding style.
Yes...they are as good as you remember. I have the same calipers as you on my bike, with SS lines and stock M/C. When I attended the California superbike scool a few weeks back, I demolished the braking drills. I cheated, and did a couple of stops before the drill to get the pads nice and toasty. I was 2 finger endoing my bike, and set the record stopping distance for the class by several meters. There were several expensive Brembo setups there...but she held her own. I can't wait to see how they do at VIR this weekend. :D

In all honesty, I expect them to be damn good. Better be, for $250... :banghead: The only thing I'm kind of worried about is rotor life, I haven't seen much if the XX's eat rotors or not. Time will tell.

trekuhl

Control Rider
but this begs the question, what is better over the long run? 1-2 sets of XX pads a season (my pads dont last a full season typically, but that is not with the XX pad itself)

or

a brembo master with a pad like the CL59/vesrah srjl which is more than $100 less than a set of XX pads?

in one season could pretty much cover the cost of a basic brembo master i believe...

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
trekuhl;243389 wrote: but this begs the question, what is better over the long run? 1-2 sets of XX pads a season (my pads dont last a full season typically, but that is not with the XX pad itself)

or

a brembo master with a pad like the CL59/vesrah srjl which is more than $100 less than a set of XX pads?

in one season could pretty much cover the cost of a basic brembo master i believe...
My decision is made for me, as for my calipers, they only make them in the XX's. No SRJL's, no RJL's. XX's or nothing, if I want to stick with Vesrah. If they do make the other models, I'll be damned because I searched for about 2 weeks and found nothing.

My experience this weekend will tell me if I want to stick with them. If I can come in blazing hot time after time, and they don't glaze over like my EBC HH's did and turn into shit, don't fade, etc then I'll be a happy camper.