Front end wobble under heavy braking

Teh_K

Dang, thanks for all the feedback guys - looks like I have a lot of things to check, with a majority of people suggesting to start with the suspension.

When I got the bike, I set all the suspension settings to factory defaults, and then slightly stiffened up the front (like 1 click, or 1/4 turn) just because I equated track riding with a stiffer setup (super technical, I know :D ). I'm 150lbs without gear, so I suspect the OEM springs will work for me, but I've never set sag or anything - so, regardless of this issue, I still need to get Chuck to set me up.

I'll also give my rotors a look-at and clean them up before my next day - couldn't hurt.

The issue is worsened when combined with engine braking, but I suspect that is causing even more front-end dive... not necessarily the rear sliding around. The '08s have slippers, so I thought those were supposed to prevent the rear from doing this.

barry38;279313 wrote: My bet would be your bottoming the suspension. And if you are locking your arms under braking and transmitting that energy into the bars/forks, all you have left is the flex in the tire carcass. If the forks aren't sprung for your weight, and you haven't set the compression/rebound properly, you are asking for issues. Get your baseline suspension set-up, ride it, and if you are still having issues, then start looking at other things.
This and make sure your anti-rattles in your front brake calipers aren't keeping the pistons from retreating, thus the pads are still dragging on the rotors.

Found that out and took 2 seconds off my time.

moto1320

You can get it set and then check back in with Chuck and tweak more if needed for $40.00. Well worth the cash. He changed my set up a good bit. You're going faster now, don't rule out anything based on weight. There are really fast guys that weigh the same as you but use springs stiffer than what is baseline for me (and I'm 55 lbs. heavier).