Front fender required?

Ol El Pablo

I just ordered some tire warmers and last night while working on front stand, I noticed that there is not much clearance between tire and fender. Not having the warmers yet to check but it looks like it will be really tight to snake those things on? I could try and modify the holes to move it up or just take the whole thing off. Is that okay for track days - no front fender. :dunno:

This is on my :haha: little SV with the 120/70 tire, BTW.

Thanks, see you next week at BIR.:D
Paul

I was going to post this in tech discussion but seems like this one gets more action.

tym2fly911

I'm not sure about the no front fender, it might depend on the class you're in. I've seen naked bikes in B pass tech with no problem. Also, I too have very little clearance btwn my tire and fender but my warmers still fit (somehow). I suspect, once you get them, that they'll probably be able to squeeze in there.

riddler

I don't use tire warmers, but... my 2 cents...

They are strapped on at the bottom, then the tire is spun as thought the bike is rolling forward until the whole tire is covered.

The lead in/clearance at the back of the fender allows the tire warmers to slide smoothly under the fender.

I don't think you would need to remove/adjust a fender, and I don't know the rule on it either.

JonnyZ!

I did some paint work for a guy and in my rush to get him "on the road" from the shop to VIR I inadvertently forgot to put on his front fender.:argh:

When I realized what I did I hopped in the truck.(trailer in tow ;)) and ran all the way to VIR to get him this fender that I believed he needed to pass tech.

By the time I arrived......... he was already through tech and getting ready to head out for his first session.....

So.......................................

If you have the upper on the bike........... you don't even notice the fender and the upper more than acts as a barrier to keep following riders from harms way...

Also.......... on those particularly nasty hot days, it's not uncommon for the 125 guys to remove the fender to increase airflow through the rad

So........... you can get away without a fender..

The lead in/clearance at the back of the fender allows the tire warmers to slide smoothly under the fender.
Problem is that the warmer still has to be pulled back through to remove....unless he wants to fish the wire/plug through the wheel.... kinda a pain after while

:idea:
You can easily remedy this height problem by taking some aluminum strip (Home Depot) and drilling it with the fork/fender spacing and then moving the fender up the plate 1/2" and drilling again.
Mount to the fork with the lower holes and mount the fender to the upper....Voila!

Smiley

The fender is needed to protect your forks from debris.
I wouldnt' run without one.
Wait till you get the warmers you may be surprised it works fine no hassles.

oldschool

Tire warmers aren't that thick. They rub a little bit when put on and taken off but not enough to create any problems on my R6.

ronhix

So, we are at Wink's house one day over the winter and have the bikes all stripped down and getting his shiny new 1000 ready for the up coming track season. He takes the bike out with no fender, no fairings, no seat, no tail, etc. Just a frame and motor and forks practically.

he does fine his first pass, then he goes to turn around and the SS brake lines get pinched between the tire and the forks because there is no front fender on it. Down he goes at like 5 MPH in the middle of the street in front of all the neighbors. It was funny.

Moral of the story, hang around Wink...funny stuff always happens.

Wink

:banghead:

Ron's point is.... FENDERS ARE REQUIRED.... (and highly recommended!!!)

LOL!