Front Steel Braided Brake Lines

puck

The OEM configuration for brake lines for the GSXR o6 is 1 line from the MC and another line going from the right caliper over the fender to the other. Many of the brands make a 2 line system - 2 lines from MC then one to each caliper. I am asking for feedback on these 2 configurations. Pros and Cons from your experience - For best braking should I stay with the OEM routing or would the 2 line configuration give me just as good a Feel? Thanks!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
puck;298713 wrote: The OEM configuration for brake lines for the GSXR o6 is 1 line from the MC and another line going from the right caliper over the fender to the other. Many of the brands make a 2 line system - 2 lines from MC then one to each caliper. I am asking for feedback on these 2 configurations. Pros and Cons from your experience - For best braking should I stay with the OEM routing or would the 2 line configuration give me just as good a Feel? Thanks!
There's little difference in feel between a split system and two individual lines. I've ran both back to back on my R6, and I can't tell a difference. Those that can feel the difference have a bit more skill than myself (AMA/WSB/MotoGP), and even then, it's a preference thing, much like brake pads. I prefer the split system because it makes the hose routing much cleaner and easier to set up properly so there's no binding/hitting anything with the brake lines while turning the bars.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
I currently have the 2 lines from the master one to the each caliper…I've never seen the SBK lines until Chuck posted ~ I'm going to change mine to the SBK lines as soon as I get my order. :D I'll tell you if there is a noticeable difference or not.

leanangler

Control Rider
I've run the 2 lines system on both the Ducati and the R6 and I cannot tell the difference. Also a tip to facilitate bleeding is to "inject" fluid from the calipers UP the lines to the MC using a syringe. Makes it a little easier since you're forcing the air upwards into the MC vs. trying to force the air down the lines.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Now that I think of it, I’m always checking my lines for air...just because

avizpls

#11-A
I still maintain that the technical difference between a bridge and two direct lines shows itself in the pads. There is always a slight variation in thickness of a worn set of pads for me, and I think its from this. So I say the better way is two lines, but its NOT something you have to worry about if for whatever reason you have a bridge. Mine is currently a bridge, but I'd like to convert it to a splitter sometime. I don't want two lines though, just for ease of routing and real-estate at the banjo of the master.

Meat

avizpls;298864 wrote: I still maintain that the technical difference between a bridge and two direct lines shows itself in the pads. There is always a slight variation in thickness of a worn set of pads for me, and I think its from this. So I say the better way is two lines, but its NOT something you have to worry about if for whatever reason you have a bridge. Mine is currently a bridge, but I'd like to convert it to a splitter sometime. I don't want two lines though, just for ease of routing and real-estate at the banjo of the master.

So you are saying that the hydraulic pressure on one side is greater than the other side and the calipers are functioning exactly the same (especially the retraction of the caliper pistons at the same rate)?

Better call Newton on this one.

avizpls

#11-A
yeah, yeah. I know. Ive had the same occurrence on two sets of calipers, so I dont think its because of a stickier caliper on one side. I totally see why it SHOULD be the same, but 3 sets of pads and all the same results. Its a very small difference FWIW.

puck

"The best brake line routing is one line to a T to two lines one to each caliper. When you add another line you automaticlly ad banjo fittings and a place for air to hide and braking force is less. Look at how a superbike line kit is laid out. Every body makes one just pick one and be done with it."

I agree - sadly this set-up is twice as much as the 2 line.

Brakes - not something to skimp on. Versah Pads

Looking forward to getting my "new to me" 848 to Barber in April. Never had a Duc before, but likin it so far.

I'll get new tires & suspension set-up for it:wow: - LETS GO

Teh_K

I'm in the same boat - looking to get new lines, and can't decide b/w the bridge over-the-fender or the 3 lines with a T. I was leaning towards the T, as I like single banjo fittings at all end-points, but I'm not a fan of how the lines flay out in front of the forks... seems like they would get caught or snag on something...

I guess I shouldn't be concerned about this?

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I routed mine behind the forks...my brake lines don't flay out to the sides. They follow the similar set up to the OEM setup.