Front tire ???

booboo1

I know, another tire question. Running q2's I have always flipped the rear because of CMP. How about the front??? Any difference?? Thanks

noupf

I beleive Dunlop reccomends not flipping the q2's ( front or rear ). I do believe some riders do it however and have no issues. I do recall reading somwhere that a flipped q2 began to show signs of seperation where the rubber is fused together.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Gorilla;255608 wrote: Do not flip a front. They're built to deal with braking force in one direction.
+1...Also if you flip the rear do not ride in the wet.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
noupf;255606 wrote: I beleive Dunlop reccomends not flipping the q2's ( front or rear ). I do believe some riders do it however and have no issues. I do recall reading somwhere that a flipped q2 began to show signs of seperation where the rubber is fused together.
This happened to my rear tire...it happened while it was flipped. Is this what you're talking about?

booboo1

Otto Man;255619 wrote: This happened to my rear tire...it happened while it was flipped. Is this what you're talking about?
Wow, myself and 3 others have had that exact cut in the rear after flipping it.

madriders86

noupf;255606 wrote: I beleive Dunlop reccomends not flipping the q2's ( front or rear ). I do believe some riders do it however and have no issues. I do recall reading somwhere that a flipped q2 began to show signs of seperation where the rubber is fused together.
Eh I remember steve B. posting about this. He essentially said that the separation was only on the surface and was not a safety issue at all. I've ran a Q2 flipped for several days without issue, even with the odd separation effect in one or two spots. The integrity of the tire isn't really compromised. I'll try to find the post later. It's in the tire info section somewhere.

noupf

madriders86;255675 wrote: Eh I remember steve B. posting about this. He essentially said that the separation was only on the surface and was not a safety issue at all. I've ran a Q2 flipped for several days without issue, even with the odd separation effect in one or two spots. The integrity of the tire isn't really compromised. I'll try to find the post later. It's in the tire info section somewhere.
Seperation of rubber isnt a safety issue when taking turns at 100+ mph ?? Thanks, but ill stick to a new pieec of rubber before i ride with something that looks like that.

rugbydawg13

I've run plenty of laps on flipped Dunlops that did that. It is no different than the siping performance-wise. If you have an issue with a tire that had that seam showing, its likely due to the reason you flipped it to start with, i.e. its moderately worn.

...Sent from three hours behind you

JRA

I've seen it many times in the Buffalo tires, but Dunlop seems to have solved the issue now because I haven't been seeing it in the newest GPA tires. The UK tires are made a little differently and have never had this issue. I flip rears and fronts and have for years. When you ride a lot you have to get the maximum you can from your tires. Of course you should do whatever you are comfortable with doing.

JRA

booboo1;255673 wrote: Wow, myself and 3 others have had that exact cut in the rear after flipping it.
It's not a cut, it's where the tread rubber overlaps. Dunlop knows people will flip their tires, and they also know that tires are going to accidentally get mounted in the flipped position. They have tested this condition. I am comfortable running a tire that looks like that.

JRA

Dunlop will actually recommend not flipping any of their tires except for the newest rear tire that is made to run either direction.

LOrtega

Control Rider
JRA;255963 wrote: It's not a cut, it's where the tread rubber overlaps. Dunlop knows people will flip their tires, and they also know that tires are going to accidentally get mounted in the flipped position. They have tested this condition. I am comfortable running a tire that looks like that.
NOT TO STEP ON JOHN's feet that tire may be fine to ride with but "IF" the tire looks bad you may not pass tech. So also keep that in mind before rolling to tech with a flipped, or any, tire thats ripping, tearing, or in any unsafe looking condition ..