Front wheel chock

jfeagin

Question for those of you using wheel chocks like the Baxley product or similar. Any particular reason to prefer one over another? I'm considering getting the one from Harbor Freight. Here's why I ask.

I built this: (Not my bike or garage, here).
stand.jpg

Directions are here, if you're interested.

At 2 ft. tall, it seemed a bit much, so mine is 18 inches. May even cut it down to 15. I think adding a chock would help with stabilizing and supporting the bike, but I'm also pretty poor right now. Anybody have any experience with the HF chock?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Baxley. No other choice in my opinion. Excellent quality, superior construction compared to other "look alikes". Awesome customer service, small US company.

gkotlin

Watch the generic ones like the harbor freight and other cheap bent tube models. There are occassions where the brake rotor on one side gets close the chock. If the bike leans over or the straps holding the bike compress the tire and the bike leans, you can bend a rotor.

The Baxley's are nice.
We've had great luck and fabulous customer service from Condor. Just between my 2 friends, they probably own 10-15 for trailer and pit use.

Tony A

I have the HF one you are refering to and while not as nice as a baxley it will be fine.
I have used mine for transport (with straps)when in someone else's trailer, and i use it in the garage when bike is off the stand

some guy #2

I have a condor but the HF one will hold a bike up. I can't remember how solid it holds the wheel so it may lean a little one way or the other but it will hold it up.

Buy a used baxley, totally worth the money.

Meat

If it is for your shop only, you can get front wheel vices (or whatever they are called) that go on motorcycle lifts to help hold it more securely. Just an option. Sorry I don't have time to find a link to one.

jfeagin

Cheapness of build is one thing I'm concerned about with the HF. But then it is just for use in the garage. I don't expect to ever have help with putting a bike on the box, so something to keep it upright while I get straps on is necessary.

Will have to look around for a wheel vice. Hadn't thought of that. :doh:

I have a HF chock. I bolted it to a 29" square 3/4" ply wood base. I put the bolts in reverse (put in through the bottom, threads on top) so I can use it as a mobile piece, instead of fixed. It fits the big Brembo brake rotors of the Ducati Streetfighter just fine. I've never had any problems with it for clearance or stability.

greeny

why don't you get a normal front stand so you can do work on the front as well? that's the point of your little table. right?

Matt

I bent rotors on the good harbor freight chock. (Not the tube type) figuring out a way to shim the front wheel up a little would help prevent that problem.

be careful whit them. some bikes will be fine.

jfeagin

greeny;164462 wrote: why don't you get a normal front stand so you can do work on the front as well? that's the point of your little table. right?
I have both a front fork stand and a steering head stand. I'm just looking for an easy way to keep the bike upright while I get it strapped down. Might be easier to get a different rear stand for my Triumph, on which the arm is wider than the wheels, so doesn't fit. Anybody know how wide the Pitbull rearstand for single-sided swingarms is?

dlockhart5x

We have used that type table for several years now. It travels to the track with us everywhere we go. I hate laying on the ground to work on a bike now. It seems so uncivilized. :D
I have never "strapped" a bike down on the table yet. Just get the bike up on the stands and start working. For rear suspension work, jackstands under the pegs are not a issue on the table either.

dbakerpa

I have the HF chock in my trailer for the SV. It does not even come close to impinging the rotor. It is well made. The SV has a 120 front though.

jfeagin

dlockhart5x;164471 wrote: We have used that type table for several years now. It travels to the track with us everywhere we go. I hate laying on the ground to work on a bike now. It seems so uncivilized. :D
I have never "strapped" a bike down on the table yet. Just get the bike up on the stands and start working. For rear suspension work, jackstands under the pegs are not a issue on the table either.
Yes, civilization is a beautiful thing! :D I did notice how nicely the table will stack in the trailer for transport. But one thing I've never gotten the hang of is using jack stands. How do you get the bike up on them?

Fencer

Harbor freight has 2 chocks. I have used them both

with a coupon you can catch this one for $29
image_5312.jpg

And you can catch this one for $39
image_3963.jpg

I used the first one for a while but got rid of it because if a bike is stored in it (trailer) for a while, I found the "V" of the chock imprints (crushes) the points of the rim it contacts and I did not care for that.

I have 2 of the second one that I transport bikes with and have no problems with it. Also with the second one, if you have an odd size tire (scooter/pit bike) you can drill it to make it a tighter fit.

dlockhart5x

jfeagin;164513 wrote: Yes, civilization is a beautiful thing! :D I did notice how nicely the table will stack in the trailer for transport. But one thing I've never gotten the hang of is using jack stands. How do you get the bike up on them?
With fixed pegs it is pretty easy. Get the bike up on it's rear stand and position the stands.

carefully lower rear stand, allowing the bike to settle onto the pegs

depending on the heights of the pegs Vs the stands, you may need to remove the rear
wheel prior to lowering the bike onto the pegs.

If you do not have fixed pegs/ aftermarket rearsets, you can place a steel rod through the swing arm pivot bolt.

That does not really help much if you are pulling the swingarm. ;)

Mikey75702

Fencer;164518 wrote: Harbor freight has 2 chocks. I have used them both

with a coupon you can catch this one for $29
image_5312.jpg

And you can catch this one for $39
image_3963.jpg

I used the first one for a while but got rid of it because if a bike is stored in it (trailer) for a while, I found the "V" of the chock imprints (crushes) the points of the rim it contacts and I did not care for that.

I have 2 of the second one that I transport bikes with and have no problems with it. Also with the second one, if you have an odd size tire (scooter/pit bike) you can drill it to make it a tighter fit.
I used the first one on my cousins trailer, liked it so much figured i woul buy one for my trailer. Friend got a new trailer and bought 2 after i suggested them. No complaints from any of us. They have had a cbr1k in them, my tlr, an rc51, a couple of zx6r's, and a gsxr 1k. No problems with rotor contact on any of those bikes. They also have a few holes for adjustment, so set them right and you are fine. The only problem I can think of is if you load the bike with warm/hot tires, the tubes will leave little indents when the tire cools. But those indents go away as soon as the tire gets warm again.

some guy #2

On the top type HF chock, my buddy's front tire would get stuck in chock. I didn't think about it (or see it) but that one definitely needs to be adjusted to fit SB tires. It also did look very close to the rotors with the metal tubing.

The black one, IMHO, is the better one to buy.

Mikey75702

some guy #2;164580 wrote: On the top type HF chock, my buddy's front tire would get stuck in chock. I didn't think about it (or see it) but that one definitely needs to be adjusted to fit SB tires.
The tire is hard to get out, but I think it is supposed to be like that. The bike is super secure in there once its in there. You can strap the rear down to tie downs and not have any pressure at all on the front forks.