Fuel and rubber don't mix!!

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Just wanted to post this in the hope that others may learn from my mistake. I opened up the trailer today to move some things around and found that one of my bikes has been leaking fuel. Created a pretty bad pool on the floor of the trailer. Well, I just happened to leave a brand new tire laying flat on the trailer floor from the last time I was in there and it was sitting in the pool. The part of the tire with fuel on it bulged up real bad. I've never seen anything like it before. Anyway, I will definitely be more diligent in the future about hanging things like tires or other gear that could be affected by spills. So ticked at myself...brand new tire!! :banghead:

noobinacan

adotjdot;296735 wrote: Just wanted to post this in the hope that others may learn from my mistake. I opened up the trailer today to move some things around and found that one of my bikes has been leaking fuel. Created a pretty bad pool on the floor of the trailer. Well, I just happened to leave a brand new tire laying flat on the trailer floor from the last time I was in there and it was sitting in the pool. The part of the tire with fuel on it bulged up real bad. I've never seen anything like it before. Anyway, I will definitely be more diligent in the future about hanging things like tires or other gear that could be affected by spills. So ticked at myself...brand new tire!! :banghead:
ah dude..that sucks

betarace;296736 wrote:
I would light up a smoke in the trailer and reflect on what you did to dzum to deserve this
lol ^

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
How the heck did I get dragged into this? I was out roller skating. I'm innocent!

betarace

Fuel and rubber don't mix!!

D-Zum;296742 wrote: How the heck did I get dragged into this? I was out roller skating. I'm innocent!

Dude. Always the victim. A nice guy would buy a A J some new tires. I would but I am too busy on my RC-181 project

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ruhe52

Sometimes the best lessons learned are ones with real financial or painful consequence. This was financial always better than painful.

Sorry AJ but when did the norm change from bummer that dude just got F@&$ED. To the world should chip in and UNF@&$ that dude.
I think that is probably where personal responsibility has been lost.
If we never feel the sting of our failures then lessons never become knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruhe52;296746 wrote: Sometimes the best lessons learned are ones with real financial or painful consequence. This was financial always better than painful.

Sorry AJ but when did the norm change from bummer that dude just got F@&$ED. To the world should chip in and UNF@&$ that dude.
I think that is probably where personal responsibility has been lost.
If we never feel the sting of our failures then lessons never become knowledge.

Stupidity should be painful and expensive???:confused:

Ruhe52

This wasn't even stupid. We all leave stuff on the trailer floor that fuel would chew up.

Tell you this AJ is on top of his stuff but if he didn't have time to source the origin of the leak right then and there. I bet he doesn't forget to check it later.

I look at it this way Shit I ruined a tire. Hey as a result of me ruining the tire I may have discovered a condition on my bike that could cause it to burst into flames as I ride it. Hmmmmm best $280-$300 I ever spent in my mind. Hell toss a front into the mix.
Can't get upset about things being damaged or costing this or that in this sport. It just costs $X and that number changes all the time.
In the end if you are in one piece none of it matters.
Get that bike fixed AJ. See you in the spring son!!!

I wasn't saying anyone was stupid!!!!! Let's get that straight right now. An old, cranky carpenter friend of mine who taught me most of what I know about the exhibit industry used to say that and I've always repeated it to myself (yes I talk to myself--a lot:eek:) when I pull a bonehead move that I feel I should know better than to have done.

As to the cost of this sport, and my attitude towards it, I'll add one of my own lines that I firmly believe....."It's only money".

I am beginning to hate this forum for the simple fact that nobody can see the smile on my faceor hear the inflection of humor in my thoughts when I post something up. I love this sport and I have nothing but respect for the fine people that I've met in the paddock and on the track. With that said, I look forward to seeing everyone this spring, if not before.

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Ruhe52;296751 wrote: This wasn't even stupid. We all leave stuff on the trailer floor that fuel would chew up.

Tell you this AJ is on top of his stuff but if he didn't have time to source the origin of the leak right then and there. I bet he doesn't forget to check it later.

I look at it this way Shit I ruined a tire. Hey as a result of me ruining the tire I may have discovered a condition on my bike that could cause it to burst into flames as I ride it. Hmmmmm best $280-$300 I ever spent in my mind. Hell toss a front into the mix.
Can't get upset about things being damaged or costing this or that in this sport. It just costs $X and that number changes all the time.
In the end if you are in one piece none of it matters.
Get that bike fixed AJ. See you in the spring son!!!

Oh I will wholeheartedly admit that there was a certain level of stupidity on my part. :D This bike had a leak before but that was a few months ago and I thought I had fixed it. Ran the bike a few times this season with no issue and it has been sitting in the trailer for a while now with no issue. I actually was in the trailer 2 weeks ago and there was no leak. Not sure what changed. Need to pull the tank and see what's going on.

And yes, I am VERY happy to only lose a tire and not have this happen while I am on the track!

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
The biggest lesson learned here for me is that there are some changes I need to make to my trailer to avoid these kinds of issues in the future. From using this trailer a lot this season I have discovered some things I need to add such as a place to hang tires and wheel stands, a few tie down areas on he floor for securing loose gear, and I really want to put new lighting in as I know I will eventually bang my head on one of the florescent bulbs in the ceiling and shatter glass everywhere.

betarace

adotjdot;296775 wrote: And yes, I am VERY happy to only lose a tire and not have this happen while I am on the track!
yzusadyq.jpg

Doublea

Lawl, just an off-the-cuff comment I figured I would add-

My good friend in college, his dad raced Asphalt Modifieds for 30+ years...his trick for a really hot qualifying lap was to coat the tires liberally with Kerosene.
Not at all suggesting you should do this, or that it would work with bike tires, but the dude held the hot lap record at his home track. Apparently the tires would stick like saints for about 1.5 laps, then you were dead.