Full Exhaust worth expense?

tankslapper

Was thinking of adding a full exhaust on my GSX-R 750 but not sure if worth expense or whether it gives any signficant gains in HP or mid-range. Running competitive times in CRA last year and realize I have more seconds to gain from a rider standpoint vs a bike standpoint, even so is it worth considering or will my properly mapped Arrow slip on be all I really need.

Thanks

Matt H

IMHO, the cost/benefit of a few HP of a full system at our level is hard to justify. If you have the money? Sure then. And on some of the newer bikes the OEM system is HEAVY - that weight savings is more worth the money of a full system than a few hp (which you typically only get after a map too). Spend the money elsewhere - tracktime, school, suspension, etc - unless you still have money - then do it!

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
It is not in my opinion necessary. But there's something to be said about the sound of a bike with a kick-ass exhaust. Listen to a new R1 with a Graves full system and it's hard to say no. A slip-on will get you there a little and the cost is drastically less. Maybe that's the route to take.

Meat

Matt H;113432 wrote: IMHO, the cost/benefit of a few HP of a full system at our level is hard to justify. If you have the money? Sure then. And on some of the newer bikes the OEM system is HEAVY - that weight savings is more worth the money of a full system than a few hp (which you typically only get after a map too). Spend the money elsewhere - tracktime, school, suspension, etc - unless you still have money - then do it!
+1:agree:

NCDave

Unless you are riding at a level where a tenth of a second makes the difference between winning and losing, then no, it's not worth the money. Money spent on learning to ride better will help your speeds more than those extra few HPs.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Sometimes it's a matter of function/fit.

I had to remove the cat (boat anchor) off my 056 GSXR600 to get the race bodywork to fit, so while not a full system in my example, I had to put a slipon in place so I would not have to cut my bodywork.

Maybe on some bikes, a full system makes fitting race bodywork easier because the system is shaped narrower.

Also, there are some Dave Moss videos that show an exhaust install on a GSXR750. The bike gets 106 on the dyno with the stock system..and it's not functioning properly..so it's choking the bike. Just installing the system, with no Power Commander, they get over 130 on the same bike. Pretty impressive.

http://www.onthethrottle.com/content/view/548/73/

tankslapper

Thanks fellow NESBA riders/racers for your input. Yeah, talent trumps HP for sure. I suppose that notwithstanding I would consider a full system if it somehow liberated the bike from an emascualted, air pollution limiting street bike into a snarling full-on face bike. Racing is certainly expensive and it all comes down to choices (tires, race fees, replacing bent rear sets, etc). If money was free, a no brainer (lighter, freeer breathing), but otherwise an expensive trade-off.

rk97

losing stock exhaust weight is a great argument for 160 lbs. pro racers - for the rest of us, not so much.

I'm sure a moderate diet and a nicer helmet would help me lose at least as much weight as my exhaust saves over stock.

I'm a bit of a hypocrite, because I do have a full titanium Arata system on my bike, but it was purchased and installed by the previous owner (who then installed a power commander, and mapped the bike for 87 octane! not sure i understand that call...)

what does a full system cost anyway? $800? I'd seriously consider trading mine for stock + cash (or trackday credits)...

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Keep in mind that any HP or Torque increase is at WOT. If you're racing and need those couple tenth's of a second go for it. The only way to win a track day is by not crashing.

Meat

Now if you are going for cool looking and great sounding then a full exhaust is nice, but if I didn't have a bunch of cash lying around, I would just go with a slip-on. that way, it looks cool and really sounds cool. Since, I hear my bike the entire time I am on the track, I want it to sound good to me.

It is the same reason I get a professional paint job on my bike. Definitely doesn’t make it faster, but I sure do like it more.

Ruhe52

The point of this sport is to spend all the money you have on it and then a boat load of cash you don't have. A full system will help you get to the top of that box faster.

When it can all be over in a second don't plan for 10 seconds ahead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tested and proven for 41 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Folly1

Get "Sportbike Performance Handbook" and you will understand how much engineering went into getting the most from the factory exhaust. I think many of the after market ones don't have the engineering and you actually lose power. The high end ones might get you a small boost. Yosh was the only one that I know of that actually duplicated the length of the pipe for the 06 750 as it was originally folded in the cat.
Of course all of MY purchases ( and 3 marriages ) are based on sound and logical reasoning.

Rant has it right.

Ben.