Gas Tank Rust

jon704

I know that there have already been a couple of posts about this but I why not start another. I have a small amount of rust around the gas cap and in small areas in the tank. I have read all kinds of ways to get rid of it but since there is only a small amount of rust i don't really want to use any of the linings processes (Red-Kote, POR-15, etc). I was wondering what you guys out there are using. I was thinking about using some kind of acid wash but not sure what to use to make sure the inside doesn't begin to rust since it is etched metal. Let s hear what the best solution is!

07yzfr1

my tank was FULL of rust and I used good old 'soap and water' solution. Then rinse. Repeat. Until water was coming out clean. Then, I flushed with Alcohol. Finally, I filled with treated fuel and I make sure it's filled full when storing. I haven't had any issues yet.

adamsys

If you still have rust after the soap and water treatment, those kits use muriatic acid. You should be able to find that at a hardware store, too. It will be prone to rusting again. You might want to coat it with engine oil instead of a liner coat.