Gateway round 4

jkrueger

Alright well this past weekend I went to a new track, a Nascar track, that people told me to not bother going to. For the most part they were right, it is a rediculous track that has no business hosting bike events. The layout and walls and poor pavement make for a bad combo.

Saturday was a trackday put on my MCRA, it was supposed to be my day to learn the layout and try and pull myself up to speed. That didnt happen so much, it was a crashfest with the track being shut down multiple times for crashes, punctured airfence that needed to be replaced, and oil on the track. Shortened sessions were the story of the morning, and then for me the afternoon was spent fighting electrical gremlins on my bike. Turns out the positive lead to my battery must have fatigued and snapped in half (it was hidden under the insulation and intermittently connected and then shorted out, also it was about the last thing I decided to check)

Raceday

HWSS I got a great start and led 5 laps, then local fast guy Jimmy Brown got me into turn 6. i stayed on his wheel and was setting him up for a last lap pass effort when we came up on a lapper, he took him on the inside, i was going to take him on the outside but the lapper got spooked by the inside pass and stood it up into me pushing me into the grass. I passed the lapper on the grass and took 2nd by a healthy margin.

ULSS Decent start and i was 2nd into turn 1 the lead guy was on a 1000 and was moving, he had me on the power and i didnt have much for him on the infield so he crept away through the race. 2nd again

HWSB the rain had started to fall and ugly weather looked like it was heading in. to make matters worse a bike on hot pit almost went up in flames, so while that was going on we were waiting to take our warm up lap with our tires cooling off and the rain falling. one expert gridded up in front of us, the am field started in row 6. The race started in a mostly dry track with rain falling I went into T1 behind Jimmy Brown, in front of the expert, we went through 2 laps like that, on the 3rd lap the rain came down harder and lightning was streaking to the north and west of the track, coming through the infield i was wondering why the hell i was out riding a couple of times (but one of the coolest things to take notice of midrace, something i wont soon forget) on the 3rd or 4th lap going into T1 i turned the bike and the front tire didnt like something, the front wheel slid hard and pushed me out way wide, i was looking at a cement wall going way to fast, i made the turn without losing position but shattered any confidence i had in the front end of my bike. Scott Stall got me on the brakes later in that lap. I checked behind me and 4th wasn't in sight so i brought it home in one piece and let myself settle for 3rd.

I had fun and am glad I went to experience the track, yes it is a bad bike track but I would go again if there was another round there. for going in and learning a new track I am happy with the results I brought in.

Bob750

Nice write up Jesse. You were looking pretty fast, especially for a first timer. (I'm the guy that finished third by a healthy margin and spoke to you at tech.)

The track isn't so great but it is all we have in STL. I wish it didn't have so much concrete. And I am still dealing with oil dry in the eyes! They were very liberal with that stuff.