Generator Deal at Home Depot

beac83

If you buy/have one of these, then two options:

1) park FAR AWAY from the rest of us, cause that thing's real LOUD.
2) fashion an additional muffler to quiet it down.

I hear that AFM has instituted a special section for loud generators. Maybe we should do the same?

Meat

beac83;189535 wrote: If you buy/have one of these, then two options:

1) park FAR AWAY from the rest of us, cause that thing's real LOUD.
2) fashion an additional muffler to quiet it down.
Installing a big muffler usually won't quiet these things (including the coleman powermate)down enough.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
beac83;189535 wrote:

I hear that AFM has instituted a special section for loud generators. Maybe we should do the same?
That's definitely worth consideration, especially as more and more cheaper 2000w inverter knock-offs of the Honda and Yamaha are now becoming available. They claim to have the same db level, but they don't, they are louder. Maybe not all of them, but some for sure. A friend of mine got one (don't know the brand), as it was much less expensive and claimed the same low rating. Not what he found when he fired it up.

Not wanting to offend, this has been discussed in multiple threads before. I understand not everyone can shell out the bucks for the Honda or Yamaha. That's fine so long as you pit far away from everyone else.

LOrtega

Control Rider
+1 Those "economical" generators will not make you any friends in the pits,
if you buy one buy a 300' cord, and plan on anyone near the thing commenting on how much you and your generator suck....

I know a shop by me is now doing a minimum 10% off any Yamaha generator for N.E.S.B.A. members on some models they are doing as much as 25% OFF... and they offer financing ...

depending on which one you buy it could be like 45 bucks a month, do everyone a favor and think about it... at the CCS race over at Thunder this weekend some guy had a lynch mob after him ... He was in the garages with some Gene from Harbor Freight and you could barely stand in the opposite site of the garage and talk

Dave561

Control Rider
And don't be that idiot that moves his gen out of his pit and into someone else's. Thsts just rude, yet some don't have any problem with doing it

avizpls

#11-A
lol what a tight knit bunch of loosely associated friends we are all...until a mother effer brings a loud generator....GET HIM!!!

beac83

Well, we are warning any potential buyers before-hand! :D That's what friends are for, right?

Race and track days can be very stressful when you are working on things and/or things aren't going right. No one wants to come back to their pit only to have their thoughts, much less their conversations, drowned out by a loud generator running nearby.

avizpls

#11-A
Oh, I wasnt disagreeing. I've considered packing a pitch fork and torch assortment for these days.

People are usually pretty courteous so I havent needed them yet

Dave561

Control Rider
Honda generators do have one fault, they're so quiet sometimes they run out of gas since you can't hear them.

Through the day, a louder gen while not preferred could be used. But as the day ends you really appreciate the guys that spent the extra for the quieter models

tittys04

slow_honda;189604 wrote: Honda generators do have one fault, they're so quiet sometimes they run out of gas since you can't hear them.

Through the day, a louder gen while not preferred could be used. But as the day ends you really appreciate the guys that spent the extra for the quieter models
That's better...

As I was reading this I couldn't help but think "damn, chill out people." At night, yes, if you are running a genny, figure out a way to be quiet. If that means buy a crazy expensive one, go for it. If that means buying a 300' extension cord and placing it in the back 40, that's ok too. but during the day... as loud as everything is... a little genny isn't adding much noise (that is... as long as you're not placing it directly in someone else's designated area... that will get you bag-tagged real quick). Just use common sense, and no one is going to bother you.

Now... chill out genny nazis.:nutkick:

Saltman

I have my 5 year anniversary coming up. Honda generator is not an option. But then again I won't be spending any nights at the track. I'm not trying to get the loudest but it won't be Honda quiet either. I guess I'll just have to bring extra beers to hand out.