Geometry #'s and Starting point shock length on a 190/60 R6 08

krisnet55

Got an R6 a couple months ago and setting it up but dont know much about the bike as far as geometry goes. Im coming from a GSXR which I know the sweet numbers that worked for me pretty well and would like to learn them on the R6.
I have read various threads but many are for the 06/07 and others using a 190/55, im using 190/60

Couple of questions I have.

*Shock length eye to eye using a 190/60 (with or without the spacer)

*Fork height? Ohlins 30mm kits

*How far back or how for forward on my Rear wheel. Axle blocks position?

Any other info will be much appreciated. I know that the GSXR 600 likes to run stiff springs (worked for me), not sure if any similar info is also known on the R6.

Thanks in advanced for the help

steve gould

First off, I have no clue, which leads to my point. Do yourself a favor and take the bike to a pro who sets up bikes for a living and has real world data and feedback from pro riders. Asking the gen pop a question like this will result in a lot of info and probably not all of it good. Letting a pro set your bike up initially will give you a great starting point and the confidence in your set up that a lot of us need to go fast. We have a REAL AMA pro wrench in the SE at Performance Cycle works.

krisnet55

steve gould;297733 wrote: First off, I have no clue, which leads to my point. Do yourself a favor and take the bike to a pro who sets up bikes for a living and has real world data and feedback from pro riders. Asking the gen pop a question like this will result in a lot of info and probably not all of it good. Letting a pro set your bike up initially will give you a great starting point and the confidence in your set up that a lot of us need to go fast. We have a REAL AMA pro wrench in the SE at Performance Cycle works.
Steve Gould I am not seeking for the perfect set up by asking this question, I am looking for a starting point, a base. Basically the average numbers that people tend to put this bike at. Now with that being said I bought the shock thats currently on the bike from Chuck but had lost his number and didnt remember the store name before posting this, I also wanted to hear different opinions. I dont think its such a terrible thing to gather info from other riders to see what could work and what not or what works for them. I always use tuners and have no problem paying them, time and time again. Some tuners have been spot on and some info gathered from other riders has been spot on and vice versa. Im also the type of person that likes to learn, and suspension is one of my main interests in the bike world.
Currently on my GSXR I tried 2 different set ups from 2 tuners and none of them worked for me. I ended up asking this very same question in another forum a while back and got a couple of responses. A couple of guys said a couple things that really made sense to me based on what I was feeling. I contacted them and got some numbers. After a few minor adjustments they worked perfect for me. Im not saying tuners have no clue what they are doing but sometimes it could be that they set up your bike based on what works for another rider but may not work for me. Either because im not at that level, have a different riding style, simply dont feel right, etc etc.

avizpls

#11-A
You're both right. Good suspension setup takes a pro. General tips can come from anyone willing to give them. Just take with a grain of salt, as it appears you have.

Meat

krisnet55;297768 wrote: Steve Gould I am not seeking for the perfect set up by asking this question, I am looking for a starting point, a base. Basically the average numbers that people tend to put this bike at. Now with that being said I bought the shock thats currently on the bike from Chuck but had lost his number and didnt remember the store name before posting this, I also wanted to hear different opinions. I dont think its such a terrible thing to gather info from other riders to see what could work and what not or what works for them. I always use tuners and have no problem paying them, time and time again. Some tuners have been spot on and some info gathered from other riders has been spot on and vice versa. Im also the type of person that likes to learn, and suspension is one of my main interests in the bike world.
Currently on my GSXR I tried 2 different set ups from 2 tuners and none of them worked for me. I ended up asking this very same question in another forum a while back and got a couple of responses. A couple of guys said a couple things that really made sense to me based on what I was feeling. I contacted them and got some numbers. After a few minor adjustments they worked perfect for me. Im not saying tuners have no clue what they are doing but sometimes it could be that they set up your bike based on what works for another rider but may not work for me. Either because im not at that level, have a different riding style, simply dont feel right, etc etc.

I don't think Steve was trying to attack you. I honestly think he is just trying to give what he feels is solid advice.

I happen to agree with him on getting a pro, that truly knows their stuff, to set your suspension up. Then go ride and tell them what changes you would like to see, or what issues you don't like.

And I do understand wanting to know how everything works and how to do it for yourself. I had Chuck (and I'm not saying that Chuck is the only person in the world that can do this well) set up my R6 and it handles better than I thought a bike could. Honestly. I just don't have the skill and Chuck does. Chuck is definitely the guy that does ALL of the work on my bike, but if you are intimidated by his sexiness or don't like the way he pees, then I would go to another pro and have them set your stuff up and ask them questions.

JBZ1k

Chuck and Jerry have vast knowledge in the ways of the R6. As soon as I get my bike done by them I will be able to let you know. They told me they could get it set up so well I would not have to change a thing. Convinced me to put the ole ZX6r up for sale and purchase an R6.

mmmfishrighton

Control Rider
You may find more information over on the R6-forum. I have an 07 and a different shock so take this for what its worth and I'm going off my memory.

I believe my JRi shock is 282mm eye to eye. My forks are flush but you have 10mm longer forks. I cant remember wheelbase numbers right now but I can measure tonight if you would like. Gearing is -1, -1.

I'm no fast guy and not sure what your pace is but the R6 seems to be fairly easy to set up for the common rider.

steve gould

krisnet55;297768 wrote: Steve Gould I am not seeking for the perfect set up by asking this question, I am looking for a starting point, a base. Basically the average numbers that people tend to put this bike at. Now with that being said I bought the shock thats currently on the bike from Chuck but had lost his number and didnt remember the store name before posting this, I also wanted to hear different opinions. I dont think its such a terrible thing to gather info from other riders to see what could work and what not or what works for them. I always use tuners and have no problem paying them, time and time again. Some tuners have been spot on and some info gathered from other riders has been spot on and vice versa. Im also the type of person that likes to learn, and suspension is one of my main interests in the bike world.
Dude, I wasn't trying to impugn your knowledge or mechanical capability, just offering up some hard earned advise. Good luck on your search, I hope you get the data you're looking for.

krisnet55

steve gould;297790 wrote: Dude, I wasn't trying to impugn your knowledge or mechanical capability, just offering up some hard earned advise. Good luck on your search, I hope you get the data you're looking for.
No offense taken man. I guess we both read in the wrong way.
I have contacted Chuck and got the info I needed. Thanks for the advise.

Lonewrench

mmmfishrighton;297784 wrote: You may find more information over on the R6-forum. I have an 07 and a different shock so take this for what its worth and I'm going off my memory.

I believe my JRi shock is 282mm eye to eye. My forks are flush but you have 10mm longer forks. I cant remember wheelbase numbers right now but I can measure tonight if you would like. Gearing is -1, -1.

I'm no fast guy and not sure what your pace is but the R6 seems to be fairly easy to set up for the common rider.
Hey bud if your shock length is 282 your crashing at every corner, not to mention I don't think the shock can be collapsed that far. I think the number is more likely to be 292 mm and I would utilize the std 3mm shim under the clevis as well
Forls work well with 5mm + the fork cap sticking out on 08 and up. 06-07 they need to be flush for sure.
Also gearing you guys should all be running 15-43 for nearly every track you ride its very friendly. This bike needs to be long, so if the axle is more than 50% forward your leaving a lot on the table. The bike will want to really back itself into the corners under hard braking.