Getting to VIR from DC area.

bronsonj

I'm heading to VIR from Md. Am I better off going down 95 or down 29? Also am I better off leaving late Friday to be behind rush hour, or leaving REALLY early Saturday. This is for the Saturday track day.

Fastguy

I prefer to take 95 due to hopefully a constant flow of traffic. I've never taken 29.

Its about a little more than a 4 hour ride for me. I probably would leave late and dark :notsure: early Saturday morning.

NoBull

95 is faster but Friday night is more than likely to suck ass big time. I came home from a vacation in the south last Friday and traffic northbound on 95 was fine but southbound from DC to where the HOV lanes meet the regular lanes sucked big fat donkey balls. That was around 8pm. You will probably have to go later than 10pm. Early sat morning is no good at all. Too far to drive. You may have to give Rt 29 a shot even though it takes longer on a normal drive.

betarace

from GBurg, I would go across whites ferry, down 15 to 29... easy ride and no BS. plenty of stops along the way for road sodas etc... make sure to take the bypass around Crltsville.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
LOVE the 29 route.

Went to the AMA races on the first run there in 2001...drove down Friday after work to camp for the weekend. Spent FOUR hours in the Alexandria mixing bowl south of DC..never again.

MD 29 South hits 495W, to 66W to 29South works just great for me.

And as far as Saturday goes..you'll want to leave Friday night after work.
You could probably get up at like midnight and drive down..but really..do you want to be on a racetrack unrested and not at your best when it comes to being mentally focused when you need to be focused the most?

physicistkev

Control Rider
i will be taking 29. I am coming from the Reston area. 28 south to 50 south to 15 south to 29 south. the last 2 times I have done it, it's about 3:45 to 4 hours. With a gas stop around Charlottsville, cheaper gas :).

LUCKEDUCK

I live in Charlottesville and it is smooth sailing from here south.. Def leave friday evening early enough to get to danville and get a room or something.. You will need the rest for the next day.. I only live 2 1/2 hrs away and I still get a room, only did the drive down in the am one time and I was done for by lunch time.. Need that rest!!

alphamale

29 FTW! 95 sucks ass on a Friday. I even tried the HOV-3 for the WERA event, and it was miserable. Took 2 hours out of my life. 29 is awesome!

wesmith443

I faithfully use 95 although I havent tried the scenic route to go that far. Then again I plan my driving hours so that I dont hit any major cities during their rush hours.I travel 95 so much i know where the speed traps can be. But... 95 northbound from the 295/95 northernmost merge (richmond area) to the Woodrow wilson will suck if there is any light out on Sunday. When I say suck, I mean it can be 4+ hours