Gingerman

fizzer

The calendar at Gingerman's website has 3 Nesba weekends on it and nothing yet here in the track dates section. Will there be track dats at Gingerman? I've personally never been there, what's it like?

beac83

Do a search in the Forum for Gingerman.
Some of us really like this track, others don't.
Apparently this years' contract with NESBA isn't done, as the dates are not on the NESBA calendar yet.

fizzer

Do you like the track? Is it more fun than Grattan, for instance? I've only been on Beaverun and Barber on a motorcycle. I found Beaverun to be lots of fun and easy to learn. Barber was awesome, but very far away. I'm definately going to try Nelson's Ledges this year. I want to get some variety.

Matt

Gingerman and Grattan are both very cool tracks. Not sure which I like better. The pit atmosphere at Gingerman is better IMO. More like a park than a parking lot.

I like that both of those tracks can be run backwards. for some reason I get a kick out of running tracks the other way.

beac83

I've never ridden Grattan, so I can't compare them.

Yes, I like Gingerman. If you do a search, you will find threads about Track Days there. There is also a thread where we aren't supposed to talk about how great and fun Gingerman is, as so many don't show up to that track that we have a great time there.

Of course, that may be why the contract isn't done yet as well. :( I'm still hoping the Aug-Sept dates there come through (I'll be at Iowa for the May dates).

steve p

Fizzer, Unless there is absolutely nothing else going on in the universe, I would look for another track to ride other than nelson. I personally like Gratten better than Gingerman however I hear they are making changes to Gingerman. I also have more time at Gratten and have only been to Gingerman once. Both are good choices and you can't go wrong either way.

Corn Fed

Gingerman is a fun track, some do not care for it because of the seams in the paving. They can be a little disconcerting when you cross them. They may be considering lengthing it as well. You should try it.

dlockhart5x

steve p;40507 wrote: Fizzer, Unless there is absolutely nothing else going on in the universe, I would look for another track to ride other than nelson. .

:agree:

I sort of liked Nelson, but I think it makes Blackhawk look safe and smooth. I think it is T4 that looks like it was carpet bombed, then again the fast guys still go fast through there.
The other + is the mid atlantic staff seem to be pretty good peeps. Must be something to do with having "mid" in their name.

gingerman is terrible ;)

fizzer

Well, I've been to Nelson's in a car so I know it fairly well, it was my first racetrack ever. Plus it's only like an hour away. I thought all tracks were that bumpy! Then I went to Beaverun... so smooth. Looks like I'll have to try Grattan because Gingerman sucks so bad ;-) Thanks for all the replies!

BillFred

I've done Grattan also. I think both are fun. Everyone made a big deal out of the seams at Gman, I didn't think it was really that big of an issue.

Every new track I run I love, so I guess I'm not a good judge.

Have fun.

Matt

fizzer;40630 wrote: Well, I've been to Nelson's in a car so I know it fairly well, it was my first racetrack ever. Plus it's only like an hour away. I thought all tracks were that bumpy! Then I went to Beaverun... so smooth. Looks like I'll have to try Grattan because Gingerman sucks so bad ;-) Thanks for all the replies!
grattan was rough, they put some pavement over the top of the old crap and it looks better, I can't remember if it really is or not.

rk97

IMO - a weekend at Nelson (or any track with surface issues) is a good reminder of how nice some other places are, and builds your confidence.

If i ever reach "A" pace, I may feel differently, as run-off area can be an issue.

Rosey was talking about a race at NL where he only had to finish 2nd-to-last to get the points he needed; so he figured he'd just wait until someone crashed out. As he tells it, he was 'hanging back, running like 1:15's...' (1:09's are normal pace i guess) - i was happy to be breaking 1:20 that weekend. Needless to say, he and I have pretty different concerns about the run-off area :p

The seams at Gingerman did make me nervous. Just cross them with some strong resolve - if you half-ass across them, then yeah, they can get you wiggly.

the layout is very point-and-shoot. It was hard for me to find a 'flow' there. I'd like to go back (wtih NESBA) and take another shot at that track.

every track is worth trying once :)

Corn Fed

every track is worth trying once
+1, or twice, three times, well 4 maybe....ahh well, I'm easy. If it is close by, trumps all else. Some may say Grattan is more technical than Gingerman. The hump can sneak up on you.

ceptorman

Hey Fizzer, not sure where in Ohio you are but Putnam (45 miles west of Indy on Hwy70) is a great flowing track. A favorite of many.

riddler

+1 on Putnam! My favorite...
Between Gingerman and Grattan... I go with Grattan. Such a challenge to learn that track. Still haven't got the chance to run it counter though.