Glove care/washing thread?

raylee

I remember someone mentioning a thread or article back on the N1 boards about how to properly clean/wash leather riding gloves, but I can't seem to find it. I'm determined to try and get the palms on these gloves to last longer than a season.

motorkas

1) submerse and soak in water (you should see the oils start to come into the water after a while - I let them soak for about an hour)
2) use a mild soap and vinegar and hand wash both inside and outside (5mins per glove)
3) thoroughly rinse with water (5 mins five minutes per glove)
4) place on a towel to dry (I put a fan on them - greatly reduces the drying time)
5) as they are drying, periodically put them on to shape them to your hands (wait until they have already dried out a bit (but still damp - about 1.5 to 2 hours) until you put them on the first time) - also as you are taking them off, don't pull on the fingers to get them off - you'll stretch them)
6) about the 2nd or 3rd time you've put them on to shape, start adding leather conditioner to the whole glove (I usually put them on every 1 to 1.5 hours to check how they're drying).
7) once they're almost done drying - turn off the fan and let them sit overnight to airdry. . .

It's a bastardization of the Held instructions but it's worked well so far. . .got 40 days and 4 washes on these gloves and there's still alot of life left in them.....:)

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
1) submerse and soak in water (you should see the oils start to come into the water after a while - I let them soak for about an hour)
2) use a mild soap and vinegar and hand wash both inside and outside (5mins per glove)
3) thoroughly rinse with water (5 mins five minutes per glove)
4) place on a towel to dry (I put a fan on them - greatly reduces the drying time)
5) as they are drying, periodically put them on to shape them to your hands (wait until they have already dried out a bit (but still damp - about 1.5 to 2 hours) until you put them on the first time) - also as you are taking them off, don't pull on the fingers to get them off - you'll stretch them)
6) about the 2nd or 3rd time you've put them on to shape, start adding leather conditioner to the whole glove (I usually put them on every 1 to 1.5 hours to check how they're drying).
7) once they're almost done drying - turn off the fan and let them sit overnight to airdry. . .

It's a bastardization of the Held instructions but it's worked well so far. . .got 40 days and 4 washes on these gloves and there's still alot of life left in them.....:)

I'll just drop mine with Kas