Glove life

Macon663

Don't buy Kangaroo if you want longevity. Its typically thinner and wears out more quickly as a result of day to day use.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Macon663;209891 wrote: Don't buy Kangaroo if you want longevity. Its typically thinner and wears out more quickly as a result of day to day use.
That's not true. Kangaroo is used because it's 4 times more durable than regular cowhide leather even when it's thinner. Kangaroo has smaller pores which also makes the hide more abrasion resistant. Held also uses Stingray in strategic places in the Phantoms and Titans because that's 10 times more abrasion resistant than regular cow or goat leather.

All the MotoGP suits are Kangaroo because they're lighter and more durable.

I've been on a little glove comparison this season and I currently own:

Held Phantoms
Held Titans
RS-Taichi GP-EVOs
And I just took delivery of a pair of Dianese Full Metal Pro gloves.
I've also had A-Star GP-Techs, which I think suck. They're too bulky and I feel like I lose too much feel at the bars with them.

They're all good gloves, but in the over $200/pair category if I had to own just one pair of gloves, the Held Phantom wins hands down (no pun intended). You get the protection of Kangaroo and Sting Ray, the more customish sizing of the Held's numbered sizes, and they're not quite the price of the Titans.

The Titans are the ultimate glove. No two ways about it.

If you have longer fingers and narrow palms, unlike me or Kaley, the Full Metal Pros may offer you a nice fit.

Macon663

D-Zum;209907 wrote: That's not true. Kangaroo is used because it's 4 times more durable than regular cowhide leather even when it's thinner. Kangaroo has smaller pores which also makes the hide more abrasion resistant. Held also uses Stingray in strategic places in the Phantoms and Titans because that's 10 times more abrasion resistant than regular cow or goat leather.

All the MotoGP suits are Kangaroo because they're lighter and more durable.

I've been on a little glove comparison this season and I currently own:

Held Phantoms
Held Titans
RS-Taichi GP-EVOs
And I just took delivery of a pair of Dianese Full Metal Pro gloves.
I've also had A-Star GP-Techs, which I think suck. They're too bulky and I feel like I lose too much feel at the bars with them.

They're all good gloves, but in the over $200/pair category if I had to own just one pair of gloves, the Held Phantom wins hands down (no pun intended). You get the protection of Kangaroo and Sting Ray, the more customish sizing of the Held's numbered sizes, and they're not quite the price of the Titans.

The Titans are the ultimate glove. No two ways about it.

If you have longer fingers and narrow palms, unlike me or Kaley, the Full Metal Pros may offer you a nice fit.
The part I was trying to bring light to was the fact that Kangaroo does not hold up as well as leather with regard to sweat and moisture. Sweat and moisture degrade roo faster than leather. I've heard that from 2 different gear manufacturer reps that I know. And I've experienced it myself in a pair of Spidis where the palm tore in half. Which is part of the reason why its not as common as it used to be in gloves or suits these days. When its in perfect condition, yes its stronger, lighter, etc than leather. But it degrades faster so its a double edge sword. Unless of course you don't sweat. Than it shouldn't be an issue.

And the REV'IT Jerez is fantastic. I've worn Astar gp techs, held phantoms, Spidi carbo 6's, and pentas. The REV'IT glove is more comfortable for me. And I've crashed in them quite a few times. More than I care to admit. The seams hold up well and the combination of hi tech fabrics and hard parts provide great abrasion and hard impact protection.

Just my 2 cents.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Sorry Dude..I didn't catch that message from your initial post.

I still don't really agree with your point on Kangaroo leather and sweat/age. I've had my share of Roo gloves as well as a full MotoGP suit and never had any issues like those you describe, nor have I seen any. But I'm not going to discredit your experiences.

Rev does indeed make some nice stuff, I just don't see many places to buy their stuff. They just don't seem to carry a large market share in the US.

bmart

Control Rider
I've never worn through a set of any gloves I own, not in nearly 25 years. I think you guys are holding on too tight. :)

LOrtega

Control Rider
D-Zum;209918 wrote: I still don't really agree with your point on Kangaroo leather and sweat/age. I've had my share of Roo gloves as well as a full MotoGP suit and never had any issues like those you describe, nor have I seen any. But I'm not going to discredit your experiences.
I have to agree with D-Zum I am in the business and all the upper manufactures have wear ratings and tons of experience with wear levels for Cow, Goat, Sheep, Kangaroo, ETC just about every hide used....

Maybe its the blend of Leather and Kangaroo in the gloves you have used or the thickness of the kangaroo used in the gloves you have owned, but with proper care Kangaroo should out last all other leathers by almost 40%.

I have had a TON of gloves in my 10+ years in the Road Racing / Track Day games and the only +$200 pair of glove I got burned on was the last A-Stars pair I bought. They lasted me less than 10 days (WHICH SUCKS NADS).

Over the last year I have been jumping back and forth between 3 different gloves to give my company feed back....and when the glove we have been developing comes on the market I really hope it gives guys and girls the most bang for their buck, because I know how much its sucks to spend 300 bucks on a pair of glove that fall apart in 3 months..and all the gloves have Kangaroo Palms and none of them show much sign of wear at all....

D-Zum if you need some Rev It contacts let me know my friend was a rep for them, I may be able to give you some places that may still carry them, They are dealer direct dont have a distributor, that is why they are hard to find....

kubricky

Control Rider
Director
I was going through two pairs a season for a while there and buying a 100.00 pair -- lesson learned.

Put the Heroic SPR on your paw, they are GREAT gloves and feel great. The A*s have always felt good too. I do like the fit and finish of the Heroic though and will stick with them. I think I will get a few seasons out of this pair!

chaveezy

I got exactly two days out of a pair of Alpinestars GP Pro gloves! Finger stitching came apart, easily fixable while at home but not so much at the track. Guess I need to start bringing a sewing kit with me if I'm going to rock the Alpinestars gloves! My Held Phantoms from last year lasted the entire year, to include a low side with VERY minimal damage. Sold them at the end of last year and they are still going strong with the new owner!

HELD = BEST