good air compressor ???

ski2we

Anybody have any brands or models of a decent air compressor that would work good for air wrenches and such things for at the track so obviously I don't need a giant one but what is the recommended size for these uses as well, appreciate the help

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I have a 20 gal. unit in the garage and it's been there for at least 14 years. It's not a name brand but it's held up for quite a long time. I would not reccommend one that size to tote to and from the track. I have a Porter Cable 2 gal. pancake compressor that came with a finish nailer and a brad nailer. It is perfect for the small job at home or at the track. My mother just bought me a Kobalt 2 gal. compressor to keep in the trailer to use at the track. I've used it this year and it's really nice. Don't expect to use either of the small compressors to run air tools for very long. They use up all the air quickly. Removing an axle nut or front sprocket nut would be fine, but changing your tires on the side of the road will take forever. I would highly reccommend not buying a Harbor Freight model. We bought an 8 gal. for work and it is hit or miss whether it will turn on or not.

tireatr

Go to Home Depot and get a Porter Cable model C2005 for $109. We make then at our plant in Jackson TN. very reliable unit, 6 gallon Pancake with a few basic accessories. If you were closer I'd score you a deal, but shipping would eat into the savings.

some guy #2

What air tools do you need at the track? Unless you're running a business out there that is some serious overkill. All the compressors to run air tools for any length of time are pretty big, loud, and use a lot of juice.

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
tireatr;224586 wrote: Go to Home Depot and get a Porter Cable model C2005 for $109. We make then at our plant in Jackson TN. very reliable unit, 6 gallon Pancake with a few basic accessories. If you were closer I'd score you a deal, but shipping would eat into the savings.
I'm glad to see Porter Cable is still making tools in the US.

HokieRider

I would recommend going cordless instead of a decent size compressor. you can have a small compressor for filling tires, but have everything else cordless so you don't have to worry about hoses and everything.

cordless impacts and ratchets have come a long way recently and can compete with the air powered stuff.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Buckeye96;224676 wrote: So what do you guys use to fill tires?
At the track, I just use one of those portable air tanks, a.k.a. the "air pig". You can get them at places like Home Depot for around 40 bucks. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202958910/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I've seen them cheaper than that, or maybe it's because mine is like 10 years old! :D

I have a large compressor at home. I just fill the air tank before each event. If you don't have a compressor, it can be filled at the gas station. It's convenient and doesn't need electric.

I also over fill my tires by a couple of pounds, so I just have to bleed them down when I get to the track.

some guy #2

Buckeye96;224676 wrote: So what do you guys use to fill tires?
As long as the bead is set on the tire I've inflated completely flat tires with a bicycle pump. The pump has been way handier (and easier to store) than my 5 gallon air tank.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
some guy #2;224685 wrote: As long as the bead is set on the tire I've inflated completely flat tires with a bicycle pump. The pump has been way handier (and easier to store) than my 5 gallon air tank.
Hmm, good point. If you're changing tires, I don't think the air tank will set the bead. It might have enough air to fill one completely flat tire. The max psi on it is 100-120, and of course once it gets used down to about 30, or whatever your tire pressure is at, it's done.

HokieRider

even the small air compressors that you plug into a cigarette lighter has enough pressure to set a tire bead, but i wouldnt want to. if you shop a little you can get a small compressor that has enough pressure and volume to use at the track for around $70-$100.

I bring one that i bought for $80 and it works great for almost everything.

ride_hard

Crafstman makes a cordless compressor that uses the same battery as all the other 18v tools. The Dunlop guy showed me at the end of last season. It's like $45. If I didn't already have a free 5 gallon air tank I would get one.

Motofun352

Control Rider
I have the larger size portable tank and it is more than adequate to reset a bead...of course after the bead is set there is usually too much air in the tire. Starting at about 110 psi there was about 70 or 80 psi left after setting the bead...more than enough to adjust pressures on tires that already pretty close.