Good BP... Clean line.... buttttttttt....

motorkas

Add three more to BZ's camp of "equipment" may be the limiting factor. . .not in the sense of that the bike or gadgets will make you faster, but in the sense that different sensations, thoughts and feelings can all contribute to your sense of comfort.

Both my brother and I got BMW's - not for the power, but for the electronics. The thought of TC helped us stop worrying about our fear of losing the rear, ABS helped us stopped worrying about locking up the front. Funny thing is, neither of us have ever had ABS engage; and all the way up from N group to A group, could probably count on one hand the amount of times TC went off. Contrast that with Rob - also has a BMW - turns all aids off. It's not that he's braver (or crazier:) than us - he has more training, skill sets, and confidence in his abilities then we do. To your point about being a mother, my brother and I's mantra when we bought them for the track was "anything that even slightly improves our chances of getting home to our families at the end of the day. . .".

That's the same reason we started using slicks in N group. Were we fast enough to get our use out of them? HELL NO. One of my favorite stories is telling people about the time I was in I group and pulled a slick rear off and gave it to Sanders after it had 6 days on it (because I absolutely knew it was "done":rolleyes:. . .he used it for another 7 days and made sure to tell me about it being the same tire every time he passed me. . .Absolutely 100% didn't need slicks from a time or speed perspective. . .but what they did for our "confidence" when "pushing it" was invaluable.

Same with our friend Anthony. He was stuck in I group for a couple of years. Rode a stock 600RR on Q2's (great tire). . .had several crashes in a short period that played a decent head game on him. He got a 750 with TC and slicks (for the first time) and was in A group 4 days later. Was it the extra 250cc, TC or slicks that got him the bump. . .nope. But that was what he needed to get his confidence back.

Wendy, don't be afraid to play around with equipment (finances permitting of course). . .sometimes, just switching that up is all you need (obviously a good craftsman/woman never blames their tools and there are people who can ride a 30 year old bike on shagged tires seconds faster than us. . .but sometimes blaming something else is just what the doctor ordered:D

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Buy the NUTS on a pouch. ;-)

301.jpg

Eric Graham

Some really good insight and one of the reasons I enjoy the N2 family, they are happy to work with you and pay attention even when you think they are just out flying past people.

Mikey75702

With some of the CR's saying that you need to relax, I will add my suggestion. I found that when I go out and "try" to run faster, I end up running slower. What I ended up doing that seems to work well for me is to: 1) do back to back days on the same track, I used to only do one day events, but found that Sunday ends up being the day I improve the most.
2) ride comfortably.... I go out one session, and find my comfort limit with the track. After that I ride at 70% or so of my comfort limit. After a few short sessions, I find I am no longer riding at 70%, but more like 50%, so I speed up to 70% again.... This also allows me to follow and work with CR's at a pace that I can digest everything fairly easily.
3) I have to work on my marks.... The one thing I absolutely focus on is committing brake, turn in, apex, and exit markers to muscle memory. I spend how ever long I need to saying each marker out loud in my helmet as I reach each one until I no longer have to think about them. This helps with the comfort thing as well.
4) have someone help tow you to a faster pace gradually. It took me forever to learn the basics in B group, but then once I got my I bump, a friend (JJ) went out with me at summit, and towed me around from a 1:35 (ish) from the last time I was there, to a 1:23 my first full weekend in I.... Without his help, it would have probably taken me a long time to find 12 seconds.

This is supposed to be fun, go out, ride, relax, and have some fun. (It does get much more fun when you can pass everyone with ease.... Then they bump you to I.... :( )

glen521

Control Rider
I see you recently switched bikes. Is this one better or worse ? Are you used to it yet ? Do you have faith in it ? At the end of the day, have you enjoyed yourself or are you frustrated ? What are your long term goals ? I or A group ? proficiency or to be the fastest woman ? Short term goals- should be to learn something each time that you can add to the "toolbox". What are your strong points ? If one of them is not braking, you will not be able to go faster. Anyone with sense will not go faster if they do not feel they can stop.
I will not suggest to follow just anyone " if he can do it, I can !" That often does not end well. Each individual has different skills and equipment. Instead, find someone that is around your ability-preferably a little better- that you can build each other up together. If not, there are enough of us that have gone to YCRS that can give you pieces that should help. You have to have an open mind and put all the past behind you though. YCRS is all about braking and how to use it to increase comfort, control.
Having never worked with you, I do not know how you respond to input. Sometimes it is just hearing the same thing said in a different way, that the lightbulb goes on.
To quote Mike Moore, " have a plan.....work that plan, otherwise you are just burning gas and tires." And enjoy yourself.

CBRtist

Thanks again for all the responses. Reviewed this thread and put some stuff to practice. Found out it's not all about speed and there's more than one way to skin a cat on the track!

HavocCat

Chris
But to add to the conversation here, I will add to relax and just ride your ride.

The more seat time/practice you get, you will find the speed start to come to you, or you will get a bit more bold with the twisty grip the more confidence you build.

And don't forget to keep having fun!

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Isn't there a "Retired Forum" for you to post in? Or is posting the first step to your come back?
Nothing is forever. Who knows I may get the itch to ride, but right now I got to focus on the family and getting everything in the new house in order. Besides Kas thinks he's getting faster so I may need to put him in his place. :D

Sorry Wendy but don't follow the dudes with their names in their leathers. They've been around a while. :D

motorkas

Don't let him fool you Dave, he is still slow!

I don't know what's worse - you writing it. . .or NYPD liking it. . .:p

And to the retired guy - I know you have spies everywhere so have to keep up appearances so they keep on repeating to you that you have nothing to worry about. . .:D