Good deal on Q2's

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
In preparation for this years track days, went ahead and snagged a set of Q2's from Dennis Kirk. So, I hope all you guys are right in saying they are a good tire. :D Got a 120/70/17 and 180/55/17 for $220 shipped...not bad!

madriders86

I'd be checking the date code on tires that cheap. Not to say that there's anything wrong with them; just saying there is probably a reason they are that cheap.

Us modern shoppers are a tough customers eh chuck?

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
madriders86;232753 wrote: I'd be checking the date code on tires that cheap. Not to say that there's anything wrong with them; just saying there is probably a reason they are that cheap.

I'll be the test dummy for it, I suppose.

Regardless...I doubt my skill set can outrun tires that are a few years old. ;)

some guy #2

madriders86;232753 wrote: I'd be checking the date code on tires that cheap. Not to say that there's anything wrong with them; just saying there is probably a reason they are that cheap.

Those tires would have to be old OLD to notice any problems with them. That's a good deal for sure!

Gorecki

some guy #2;232778 wrote: Those tires would have to be old OLD to notice any problems with them. That's a good deal for sure!
Last batch I bought on a *deal* (better than the OP's actually) they were stamped 5 months prior (I think). Just rotating stock I presume....

And yeah, Chuck needs a web based store! :D

Actually, so does nesba now that I think about it...hmm, one need, another need....hmmm... ;)

Readfast

Otto Man,

Did you get your tires from Dennis Kirk, I ordered 3 rears 190/50 at $123.00 ea, I got and order confirmation, they billed my credit card. Two days later I received a phone call from Dennis Kirk and was told they could not honor that price that it was a mistake on there website. I argued with them, talk to 3 managers and still did not get anywhere. They have not as of today refunded my credit card! Just wanted to know if you had the same problem? Please let me know, so when I call back, I have a little leverage with them.

Personally, I will probably never do business with a company that does not honor a price. I own my own business that sells to retail clients and wholesale customers. I personally have made pricing mistakes in the past and have, no matter how much I lost, honored my written quotes. It integrity!!!

Thanks in advanced for your response.

Gorecki

I haven't used DK much but never had a problem. If they charged your card and not issued a refund, that's theft! I think they're allowed a time period to refund the money but otherwise you've got a beef for sure!

I understand the 'honoring the price' thing, I feel the same way. However there's no legal bearing on a booboo. There are 'bait & switch' laws in various states where someone advertises something they don't actually have.

denbsteph

Sportbiketrackgear has them for 218.00, I'm pretty sure they are not selling three year old tires, no shipping charges either.

Lonewrench

Date codes don't mean a thing guys,really on Dunlop product. As far as me matching that stuff not a chance,I'm sorry but the way I price our tires is so I make 20.00 per tire. I try to compete with those guys but in the end its really the service we give that justifies our existance. I just cant get into pricing wars,and for what? I think we are fair,and honest but if I give it all away you guys are gonna be looking at an empty spot where PC used to park,know what I mean? I am really grateful to our loyal customers,we wouldn't be here if it weren't for you.:adore:

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
denbsteph;233524 wrote: Sportbiketrackgear has them for 218.00, I'm pretty sure they are not selling three year old tires, no shipping charges either.
Remember to figure in your mount/balancing costs, if you don't have your own tire changer and balancer.

Your local guy's going to charge you $50-$100 (.5 to 1 hour's Labor rate) to do that for you.

You bring them to the track and have Chuck do it, $40.

So at best those tires are REALLY $258.00, potentially $318 if your local guy's going at the $100/hour labor rate like many of the local shops around here in the Baltimore area are charging.

With Chuck, you pay for the tires, he mounts/balances them, you bolt the wheels back on and your up and running.

I've got my own No-Mar setup, so I mount/balance my own because I hate to hassle with tires when I'm at the track. I'd rather just have it done before I get there..personal preference. But, I've been and will continue to buy tires from Chuck and my NESBA vendors.

I need to support the support I need.

denbsteph

D-Zum:

That is all taken into consideration, just no need to go thru it on this thread. I will say if the tire I buy on line is 40 bucks cheaper than Chuck and I take them to him at the track for mount and balance for 40 bucks , I'm good with that, I'm even. I'm willing to throw Chuck and his crew a few extra bones because I may need some guidance or have a question I need answered or better yet something done on the bike. I have said it before, throwing those extra bones to Chuck will pay dividends in the long wrong whether it is in the form of advice or Chuck looking at something that may need to be adjusted/fixed that I was unaware of.

Anyone having issues not receiving replies to threads?

I have not had a chance to be a loyal customer to Chuck yet, full year of TD's will be this year starting with VIR. I do know, I will be one of the first in line Saturday afternoon to get my suspension dialed in. Maybe that's where I will become a loyal customer.

Motofun352

Control Rider
PC and Chuck are a first class resource to have at the track. Anything close to reasonable and he's in like Flint in my book. Those of you not around in the sixties wouldn't know what I'm talkin' about. :D (Yes, I mean Flint...not Flynn.../you'd have to be around in the 30's to know that!)

JLove

I bought tires from Chuck at VIR and I was very happy with the service. Grateful to have trackside vendors.

D-Zum

denbsteph;233533 wrote: D-Zum:

That is all taken into consideration, just no need to go thru it on this thread.
Actually, I'll agree to disagree on that point.

While you've considered these details, others may not and think they're saving money by taking advantage of some online order tire deals, then not considering actually getting the tires on the bike, they get the rude awakening that they actually ended up spending more money than if they'd just have gone with the NESBA on site vendor.

I'm actually not even sure how buying your tires online, having them shipped, hauling them to the track and ending up paying the same money as Chuck's on site price at the end makes sense..but OK..whatever works.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
My tires came in, no hassles with shipping or billing. Dates are legit, can take pics if somebody wants proof.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
D-Zum;233529 wrote: Remember to figure in your mount/balancing costs, if you don't have your own tire changer and balancer.

Your local guy's going to charge you $50-$100 (.5 to 1 hour's Labor rate) to do that for you.

You bring them to the track and have Chuck do it, $40.

So at best those tires are REALLY $258.00, potentially $318 if your local guy's going at the $100/hour labor rate like many of the local shops around here in the Baltimore area are charging.

With Chuck, you pay for the tires, he mounts/balances them, you bolt the wheels back on and your up and running.

I've got my own No-Mar setup, so I mount/balance my own because I hate to hassle with tires when I'm at the track. I'd rather just have it done before I get there..personal preference. But, I've been and will continue to buy tires from Chuck and my NESBA vendors.

I need to support the support I need.
Lots of assumption there. I realize you and I are not the majority, but I have my own tire changer now. It bolts to my trailer...that my bike rides on. No problem-o changing tires at the track. So, in the end, my tires still only costed me $220. ;)

D-Zum

Otto Man;233556 wrote: Lots of assumption there. I realize you and I are not the majority, but I have my own tire changer now. It bolts to my trailer...that my bike rides on. No problem-o changing tires at the track. So, in the end, my tires still only costed me $220. ;)
Nah..speaking from experience. Most of the time I offer my 2 cents not because I'm a shit..but because I learned the same exact lesson the hard way..and I'm trying to save a few folks from the same. I mean..I AM a complete shit...but that's beyond the topic.

Bought some tires thinking I was getting a better deal than at the track some years ago only to eat the turd sammich when I had to pay $75 to get them mounted/balanced at the local Cycle World, and I got a $25 break because the step-son of the owner and I knew each other.
Found another local tire dealer that would do it for me for $30/set, but they didn't balance the front correctly on the first set they did for me..so I had a front end wobble at between 90-110mph. I lost a session that day because I had to take the tire off and give it to Chris Moon (yes..that dates me) and get him to re-balance the tire.

After those couple of debacles, I decided to suck it up and buy my No-Mar due to my preference to have my tires mounted/balanced before I get to the track. I also do tires for my local friends when they need it done.