Good repair shop in NY?

I do a lot of external work on my bike but my confidence about getting inside the engine is low. I could use suggestions for a good motorcycle repair/performance shop in the Rockland County, NY area. I would get in touch with Markbuilt but that's a 3 hour drive from me (one way). Suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

toptaz1000rr

what do you need done? i am in NY about an hour and 15 min from you ..
or my good friend that does my work that i cant do owns a honda/yamaha dealership and is about 45 min from you .. i could send you there too

Well, I'm not sure what needs to be done yet but I have a place to start looking. This is for my track bike, an '03 GSXR750. I spoke to a local tuning "guru" and he gave me an idea what the problem is. If it's what he says it is I can handle the work (swapping out the throttle bodies). If it turns out to be something inside the engine I may need help. But I need a good shop anyway. The last shop I trusted with my daily commuter bungled the job and robbed me blind.

toptaz1000rr

where in rockland are you ?
i run a bodybuilding show at rcc in july ..

let me know whats wrong with it and what 'he thinks' whats the bike doing ?

I'm in the Nanuet area. The symptom was that the bike, after running well, very quickly started running roughly and was lacking power. After being questioned about the year make and model, I was told that the culprit was likely (if I recall, something like...) the sub throttle assembly or sub throttle body or something to that effect. Apparently it's a known problem with the bike I have. His explanation was that the gears on the throttle servos are plastic and they break or strip or something and exhibit the symptoms I described to him. Anyway, the idea is that I need to take off the air box and with the battery connected, turn the ignition on and observe the throttle valves. They should open and close smoothly on power up. If the throttle valves don't open and close, or if they operate roughly the throttle bodies will need to be replaced.

toptaz1000rr

does the bike run smooth at idle?
does it break up soon as you give it throttle
or does it take a little for it to break up ?

something just does not seem/sound right

toptaz1000rr

329;226646 wrote: . Anyway, the idea is that I need to take off the air box and with the battery connected, turn the ignition on and observe the throttle valves. They should open and close smoothly on power up. If the throttle valves don't open and close, or if they operate roughly the throttle bodies will need to be replaced.
ignition on and bike off wont tell you anything
you would need BIKE ON to see whats going on ..
but im still confused.. is it doing it off idle ... or under load.. and what type/how much load before it breaks up

when was last tune up ... when was last time you changed plugs and had someone go through the bike in whole?

if you rotate throttles bike off or on if there is a binding or "gears that are off" you would notice it bike on or off

yeah, all good questions. When the problem happened on the track the first thought was get the heck off the track and turn it off before I blow it up or make a small problem a big problem. My recollection was that it runs ok at idle and breaks up in upper rpm range. I have been a little busy and haven't had a the time to start running through some of the tests you mentioned. I'm going to try to get to it this week/weekend.

toptaz1000rr

let me know .. i may have some time this weekend if you wanna meet up ..
i could take a drive up and take a look with you
keep me posted

dj life

Hudson Valley Motorcycles 179 north highland ave Ossining NY 10562 914 762 2722 Ask for Richie Alexander. I work there during the summers. Rich is a good guy and wont screw you over.

Chris

Ok, I took a look under the airbox today.

Turning the ignition on, there was no movement from the valves in the throttle bodies. I started the motor and there was still no movement in the throttle valves. I'm still not exactly sure what I'm looking for. The bike idles fine. When I crack the throttle open there is still good response. I let it rev a bit higher and it still sounds ok. I don't want to let it scream because I don't want to bother the neighbors too much. But as I recall from when the problem happened at the track, the roughness was pretty much in the higher rpm range. I really need to be at the track or at least a deserted road somewhere to test in that rpm range.

So what should I look for next?

toptaz1000rr

get a can of compressed air
make sure you have the long red hose that comes with it (like the one on a can of wd40)
start the bike
blow air around the boots where the carbs meet the head
see if the engine stutters..

if yes.. you have a leak
if no you dont

you have something going on thats not making sense