Good times a the 'Bolt!

erick1670

BigBird;141713 wrote: Wonder if the lack of cones also contributed to the parking lot in :b: group on Monday :notsure:
most likely!

how many peaple raise the hand, when ask first time at this track or for that matter at track day?

noupf

erick1670;141787 wrote: most likely!

how many peaple raise the hand, when ask first time at this track or for that matter at track day?
about 15 people were new to trackdays and or that track.......

erick1670

EngineNoO9;141619 wrote: I was talking to a coworker who was at the grand am race and he said that with about 8 laps to go in the race one of the cars started smoking pretty bad and it kept going around the track. Motor never completely blew up but it was leaking for sure. Even said they showed an in car camera from the guy behind him and the guy's windshield was covered in oil.... That's why there was oil all over the place. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Good on the CR's and corner workers for getting it straightened up for us.
I was waching the last 15 minutes of this race and I was thinking to my self hope that track was clean, obiosly not.

The race was exithing to wach.:D

erick1670

noupf;141829 wrote: about 15 people were new to trackdays and or that track.......
And that's not counting the 2nd, 3th, 4th & so on timers, the cones are your friends or our friends when we get to new tracks...

For example when I went to Mid-Ohio in May, in the riders meeting they ask how many pleaple were new to that track, about 75 to 85% anwers, including me. Those cones were there, at least in the most critical parts of the track.

PJZOCC624

I never realized how dependent on the cones I was until Monday! I think I had my reference points down by the end of the 2nd session, but it was odd not having the cones out there...

slowpoke

I know the cones weren't out in the early morning b/c the blower and clean-up crew were out on track trying to clean up significant amounts of oil which is why the day was delayed.

From what I saw, that was the top priority: making certain the track was safe for us and that the downtime was minimized. It took a Herculean effort by Mike Moore to get everything resolved for us to ride that day on a safe, oil-free track. The amount of oil on the track was surreal, and I was relieved to see that we even got to ride that day.:congrats:

I realize it was tough for some folks not having cones out there, and it's definitely not the norm for us. I don't want to speak for Mike, but I believe his priorities shifted once he was thrown that oily curve ball first thing in the morning.

noupf

slowpoke;141866 wrote: I know the cones weren't out in the early morning b/c the blower and clean-up crew were out on track trying to clean up significant amounts of oil which is why the day was delayed.

From what I saw, that was the top priority: making certain the track was safe for us and that the downtime was minimized. It took a Herculean effort by Mike Moore to get everything resolved for us to ride that day on a safe, oil-free track. The amount of oil on the track was surreal, and I was relieved to see that we even got to ride that day.:congrats:

I realize it was tough for some folks not having cones out there, and it's definitely not the norm for us. I don't want to speak for Mike, but I believe his priorities shifted once he was thrown that oily curve ball first thing in the morning.
I completely understand and appreciate the safety aspect of what happened that day. If it was as bad as everyone says, than yes, it was nice to be able to at least get to ride the track......just disappointing for the newbies who need the cones to make the day much more enjoyable. Thats all i was saying.

A+ to those who got the track open for us at the very least.

jtsgsxr6

I'll just blame my slowness on the lack of cones:D Really though, I didn't notice till afternoon when someone mentioned they were not out. But I like the excuse of them slowing me up.

Vitamin_J

vinny337;141353 wrote: Thanks PJ,
Same here, it was a pleasure meeting you although It would have been nice to meet you on better circumstances :eek: You’re super cool dude...:cool:
Vinny, you rock dude! Congrats.

miller

Control Rider
I did not know there were no cones until I actually rode the track. I noticed right away. Honestly, I was glad they were not out. Before I get jumped on, let me say that I understand why people are upset with the fact that they were not out. I realize they are a great help. BUT, what I am saying is that it will make you a better rider if they are not there (in my opinion).

Years ago the club NEVER put out cones. This is a relatively new occurance. When you went to a track you had to find your own brake, turn, and apex markers. It forced you to pay attention. If you could do it right, you came up to speed quickly. If not, you were inconsistant and unpredictable.

I found that not having the cones made me concentrate on fine tuning my riding before attempting to go fast. Why would I do 150 mph on a straight when I had no idea when to brake or where to turn?

I understand people were upset that the cones were not out. Rather than being upset, maybe you should take the time to really think about how you ride. Do you really know what you're doing out there? Can you find your own markers if you had to? What are you going to do if this happens again? Does it make it a bad day, or just slow you down for a session or two until you get your markers figured out?

PLEASE DON'T MISUNDERSTAND WHAT I AM SAYING. I'm not knocking anyone, or putting anyone down, or saying anything bad about anyone's riding. ALL I'm saying is THINK about your riding. THAT'S ALL.

EngineNoO9

miller;142127 wrote: I did not know there were no cones until I actually rode the track. I noticed right away. Honestly, I was glad they were not out. Before I get jumped on, let me say that I understand why people are upset with the fact that they were not out. I realize they are a great help. BUT, what I am saying is that it will make you a better rider if they are not there (in my opinion).

Years ago the club NEVER put out cones. This is a relatively new occurance. When you went to a track you had to find your own brake, turn, and apex markers. It forced you to pay attention. If you could do it right, you came up to speed quickly. If not, you were inconsistant and unpredictable.

I found that not having the cones made me concentrate on fine tuning my riding before attempting to go fast. Why would I do 150 mph on a straight when I had no idea when to brake or where to turn?

I understand people were upset that the cones were not out. Rather than being upset, maybe you should take the time to really think about how you ride. Do you really know what you're doing out there? Can you find your own markers if you had to? What are you going to do if this happens again? Does it make it a bad day, or just slow you down for a session or two until you get your markers figured out?

PLEASE DON'T MISUNDERSTAND WHAT I AM SAYING. I'm not knocking anyone, or putting anyone down, or saying anything bad about anyone's riding. ALL I'm saying is THINK about your riding. THAT'S ALL.

I agree. I've been evaluating my riding from this past weekend the last few days and am trying to work out exactly what I need to do to make the next step.

PJZOCC624

For me, personally, I wasn't upset/mad about the cones not being there. They were noticably absent, and a point of conversation in the paddock. More like "Hey, there's no cones out today" "Yeah, I noticed that too"... those kind of comments. I did find other reference points. And that's all I use the cones for - reference points. My reference points can change for certain tracks, be it a tree or a skid mark or a dirt spot/brown spot on the grass, etc., and I change them as my speed and ability changes.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
miller;142127 wrote: I did not know there were no cones until I actually rode the track. I noticed right away. Honestly, I was glad they were not out. Before I get jumped on, let me say that I understand why people are upset with the fact that they were not out. I realize they are a great help. BUT, what I am saying is that it will make you a better rider if they are not there (in my opinion).

I must :agree: Mr Miller

erick1670

As for me, I would I agree with Mr. Miller to a point. But when someone is new to a track you need the cones to learn the track quicker, specially at a fast "I" or "A" so that way you not slowing anybody up, and in turn not risking the chance of getting bump down from your group.

Because that's exactly what happen to me about 4 years ago.
It was my first time at Summit Main(fast track) and I got there wayyy late( took the family, they held me up), well my first session was after lunch, it was cold(mid-octuber) by that time every body was flying and I am allover trying to learn the track(no cones) a CR took me out for one lap to show me around, but I count follow him b/c I stiff from driving, being cold that day, not trusting the tires in the cold b/c being my 1st session so he to me out the track and said you are a "B" rider, he dint give me a chance. I know he was doing he's job to keep track safty, no argument from me there.
Since then I did maybe 2 or 3 track days, until last year I took a friend to the SED event end he love it then we went to next track day and both got bump to "I" but I knew I belong in this group, and at 6/14 event I was ask if wanted to bump to "A" and I happyly reply YEAH.
It felt great b/c the CR told me all the good things that I was doing. I know I still have to learn more. Anyways cones do help, for someone that is first time at that track or first timer.

Pascal

PJ- Glad the journey went well. I would seriously consider replacing those brackets, especially the one. Just happy I got to use my grinder, what a great tool :). Only second to the reciprocating saw!

Landshark

Control Rider
IMHO cones are a riders aid. Analogy wise they are like a "review" prior to a test. Those that know the task at hand don't need it.... But those that that don't are sure glad they got the help. Now that everyone knows enough to get by you don't need to stop and get everyone on course.
However I'd rather not need the "review".

seepy01

njmp 7/19

hello all
monday was a great day i love when we sit an extra hour and then pick up an hour after lunch i feel after lunch most of the riders get alittle faster and especially after the afternoon meeting some of the early bullsh@@ is gone.. great riding with the cr's u guys make my track days....

noticed no cones first turn on the track i actually like not having the cones ,...it forced me to find my own lines and reference points (corona sign )

oh yea and to all the beginners i know your beginners but please ride the bike ...there is now way any of you ride like that on the street (if u do stop riding)
just my 2 cents

had a great time can't wait for august weather.....