Great weekend at Blackhawk!

awhicker

Thanks everyone for helping me out, the cookout rocked, and the fireworks that didn't take place were awesome too!

Question:

Who the hell numbered the turns at blackhawk? Is this a 10 turn (possibly a 9) track to anyone else? Is the turn directly after "6" theoretically not exist? So am I supposed to say, "what do you do after turn 6, you know the unnamed one?" when asking about it?

Matt

the turns at BHF are

3 (carousel)
3d (bus stop)
?? (un named left bend after bus stop)
6 or 6 gate or 6a
6-silo or 6b
the kink

I heard they kept it labeled that way to keep it a "7 turn" track. I have no idea what the significance of it being 7 turns is though.

danch

According to the map here: http://www.blackhawkfarms.com/about.cfm the kink is 6a, and 6 'silo' has no number.

On the other hand, I've heard them called 6, 6a, 6b! I prefer 6, 6-silo, 6b, personally, but that doesn't matter a hill of beans if the person I'm talking to is on a different page!

Also, you forgot the little left before the bus stop.

It's best to have a map so that you can point and grunt.

stkr

The turn numbers don't make any sense. It's not just your imagination. :D

Here's THEIR track map, and also the satellite view from google. The old track used to go straight from the carousel (T-3) directly into T-4, but they had way too many crashes there, so the bus-stop was put in. This created the extra turns that aren't numberd very well. I'm not sure about the turn after T-6 and why it's not numbered.

I've attached my numbering version below. The blue numbers make it a 12 turn track. If you're leaning, you're turning. The magenta numbers are if they kept most of the same, but actually designated them with something.

BlindGoldfish Z

I had a blast on Sunday. Playing in "A" is always fun when you have to learn the track, but I got up to speed pretty quickly. Still not nearly as fast as some of the guys out there though...

I saw 2 or 3 people taking pictures in the morning and I don't think any of them were Matt. Any idea who they were and if they will be posted somewhere?

ERB68

awhicker;67182 wrote: Thanks everyone for helping me out, the cookout rocked, and the fireworks that didn't take place were awesome too!
It was a lot of fun hanging at the track.

That was one heck of a buffet Saturday night.

Mental note; DON'T DRINK WITH MARSHALL IF YOU WANT TO BE COHERENT FOR RIDING THE NEXT DAY!

Congrats on the beer pong title Marshall.

And THANKS to all the good people of Nesba that make these weekends possible.

Sklossmonster

I believe the reason the turn numbers are so out of whack at Blackhawk is because years ago there actually were 7 turns, but there was an incredibly dangerous left (T4) at the end of what used to be a straight shot from the carousel to Turn 4.

If you look carefully, or take a track walk, you can still see the old track layout. Somewhere along the way they added a left, right, left "Bus stop" chicayne to slow everybody down and make T4 a lot safer.

Rather than renumber everything to make sense, they just added a few letters to some of the old turns.

At least that's the way it was explained to me years ago when I asked the same question.

Sklossmonster

I see this thread had taken a different tack while I was on the phone in the middle of my reply ...

Good times on Saturday night, as always. Great food, great fun, not so great hangover the next morning.

And on that note, my deep and heartfelt apologies to all those good people whose sleep we interrupted in our series of Beer Pong grudge matches long into the night.

Ian and Jason won the Official Beer Pong trophy early, after a titanic struggle with Miguel and sleeper Ace Sonia. Their first ever Beer Pong adventure and they took it to the wire with Ian and Jason.

Once we got that out of the way, things got serious as Jordan and I wanted revenge for the early elimination from the tournament.

Needless to say, this old man learned a thing or two about how to play Beer Pong, and still managed to teach a few trash talking youngsters why age and guile often out perform youthful enthusiasm. :D

Many thanks to all!

beac83

Great weekend all. Even the continual drizzle during track time Saturday did not dampen spirits as the cookout/party rocked and Sunday dawned as an awesome riding day.

Thanks Brett for hauling in the "Monster Grill" and doing the lions' share of the cooking. Thanks to everyone who brought food to share. Everything I tried was tasty!.

Sunday was a great track day with lots of fun and learning. I finally got some of my geometry issues sorted better, and it was like being on a new bike - one that can actually hold a turn without a fight. And as always, a shout to Fred, the CR's and the members. The things you contribute to NESBA are what makes this club great.

See you all back at BHF in August for 2 more days of riding and the Chili Cook Off!

cecilio64

BlindGoldfish Z;67201 wrote: I saw 2 or 3 people taking pictures in the morning and I don't think any of them were Matt. Any idea who they were and if they will be posted somewhere?
I got a card from Pat Ryder, corner worker in the bus stop/chicane, who was taking pics. He wasn't sure if he got one of me but gave me a card and said they're downloadable. his site is mygrainproductions.com.... I have yet to check them out since I'm not sure how quickly they'll be uploaded.

Great times on Sat night with the monster grill and wonderful food!!!! Now all Sonia wants to do is play beer pong. Discovering beer pong was a life changing moment for her.
She walks around the house saying I'm heating up.......I'm on fire!

On another note dragged my knee for the first time, on the last session on Sun. Thanks to all the CRs. Especially Marshall for taking me around and showing me lines on your one and only CR session in B.

Trent1098S

I had a great time this weekend. Even the 80mph slip&slide I did out of 6 was a blast, although I wish I would have felt the ground more before trying to stand up.. I patted it once, then went "ok, I'm stopped". WRONG. Tuck & tumble. Came away without a scratch tho, and got me and my bike off track before anyone else came around.

To anyone else reading this.. first day in the rain, even if you're running rain tires, LISTEN to what they're telling you. I was stepping out the rear on turn 6 the last five laps before that, and as it started drying out.. traction changed. The good news is when you're hanging off the bike right, you don't fall that far. Easy crash. :)

Sunday was much better but my confidence was shaken from the previous day and after seeing the rider down in the first session, it totally chilled me out. I couldn't find the stomach to twist the throttle until I was out of the turns completely, and it slowed me way down. Around lunch I was getting very discouraged but a pep talk from Murf had me working on other things and it took my mind off of it.

(Thanks Murf, you salvaged my day dude!)

So I forgot all about trying to go fast, and worked on body position, lines, brake markers, shifting points, turn in points, etc. It worked out real well in the end and I was riding consistently. Not fast, but consistent. Not quite the adrenaline rush but much more productive I think.

Big thanks to Tom at Turn One Racing for getting my parts in, and for having spares on hand after my crash. Big thanks to Joe at Turn One Racing for solving my brake fade problem (good call man!), getting my rain tire setup working, and for the track-side repair of my crash damage. I wouldn't have been able to ride Sunday if it wasn't for those guys, and my weekend would have been a wash.

Big thanks to Murf for the pep talk and help with my problems on turn 5 - what you suggested worked like a charm and I was carrying about 20mph more speed through the rest of the day, and not getting stuffed in the brake zone by people passing me on the outside.

To those in B.. please don't pass on the outside DURING turn 5. If you can carry the speed and get back inside before the brake markers, it's not a big deal. But I watched three guys screw up there Sunday before I fixed my line later and started carrying more speed through. When they did this, I had to tighten my line, let off the throttle give plenty of room for them to scoot over before the brake markers - but each of those three times they'd run wide out of 5, straight down the middle of the track in to 6, and miss their brake & turn in points.

Don't get me wrong, most of the passes were cleanly set up, but I don't want to catch flak again from a CR that I stuffed someone when *I* was the one getting passed illegally in a turn and I gave plenty of room.

Why not just wait until after 6 and take the pass on the back straight, rather than risk your day? If you show me a wheel coming out of 5, I'll know you are there and I'm GOING to let you by on the back straight!

CR's please cover this in the B meeting on the next BHF day. Seems to be a reoccuring problem. Last time someone got hurt there, and an intro rider went down as well. Maybe stick a corner worker on the inside of 5 in the empty tower to spot the illegal passes? And caution people about the tight turn / tight brake marker if they DO try to pass? Very easy to get in big trouble on a liter bike.

Anyway off the soapbox.

Kawtipping

A little insight on the 7 turns at BHF. There was a race car series way back in the day that ran on tracks that were limited to 7 corners. Instead of being left out of the series, the track got very creative in the corner numbering system. I believe that track maps from back then also looked nothing like how the track was truly laid out as well.

As for this past weekend, I could only spectate, but it was great seeing a bunch of you guys (and girls) out there!!

awhicker

I have to own up.

I had two really bad passes between turn 1 and 3. I tried passing a waving CR on the outside once and another beginner the same way earlier. I'm sorry, both times it looked so good to start with. Then I hear myself go, "Why didn't I see the correct line, ofcourse the rider is going to swing out, I need to go along the inside" Sorry about that. I only had a few times to pass, and I really need to get my race line worked out. Passing is something that seems to be difficult for me. I never tried to do anything to crazy, if anything I would hang out behind someone way too long because our speeds were so similar that it was hard for me to get a good solid pass and I didn't want to make the day anymore dangerous.

Anyways, I need to get the racelines set and then the passing should become a lot easier.

Sklossmonster

To Trent and everyone else who Turn One Racing helped out this weekend, it's our pleasure and we're glad you appreciate what we do for you out there.

To Ian and Jason, you better watch out now, Sonia's got a new game and from what I saw of she and Miguel over the Beer Pong table we could all be in for a major ass-whoopin' next time they decide to grid up in Beer Pong.

And Miguel, it's so rewarding watching riders like you putting it together. I wish I would've been physically able to do more than just the one "B" session, but I'm so happy we were able to hook up. It really showed in your next sessions, and I'm sure you'll keep improving. Nicely done.

Now if I could just remember who that one "B" rider was I bumped to Intermediate, I'd give him a shout out, too ;) Nice work, Doug, you were rollin' out there. Can't wait to get fit enough to work with you in the "I" group sometime.