Greeting NESBIANS - First Timer Looking for Guidance.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Hey Pete, no sweat! My first trackday was long ago, but I went with a friend who knew the ropes. That helped a lot.

Ducati Pete

betarace;248096 wrote: Ducati Pete- welcome to the club, on tuesday I turn 47 but dont look a day over 70... anyway here is my "works every time" packing list for NESBA track days http://www.sendspace.com/file/c7sut9 contains everything but condoms that you would need for a successful track day
Hello Beta,

57 going on 70............. a man of action for sure. Go sit in a rocking chair and you will always look your age. LOL

Thanks for the excellent check list. I viewed another a bit back that read like a book.... overly advanced for Lil Ole Me. Yours is perfect and I'm going to use it too.

Hope to see you at the track. We're hoping for our first TD at BeaveRun but am waiting for Authorization regard vintage bikes in the group.

See you there,
Pete

betarace

look me up for sept to fall beaver dates. I have a 64 year old crony who lives in Columbus ohio that just made the change from Harley to Track. I took him to Calif. Superbike School and he bought a BMW S1000RR the very next day and sold his harley. We are planning sept NJMP and looking at the Beave for similar dates

Ducati Pete

betarace;248096 wrote: Ducati Pete- welcome to the club, on tuesday I turn 47 but dont look a day over 70... anyway here is my "works every time" packing list for NESBA track days http://www.sendspace.com/file/c7sut9 contains everything but condoms that you would need for a successful track day

PS: I had just now seen you are a Ducatist............ Hello Brother!! I really hope to run across you at some point. I think you will appreciate my own Duc. It has a long story that began as an old ST2.... which I converted to what it is today and it will be fun to see where it evolves tomorrow.

Be Cool
Pete

betarace

Ducati Pete;248100 wrote: It has a long story that began as an old ST2.... which I converted to what it is today and it will be fun to see where it evolves tomorrow.
without posted pictures, this bike does not exist. :p please post pictures!

Ducati Pete

betarace;248101 wrote: without posted pictures, this bike does not exist. :p please post pictures!

HAHA......... you have a point there. A lot of elbow grease, a massive amount of head scratching, and a huge supply of love turned out this.

As received... $300

Right1sm.JPG

After completion and a little (okay, lot) more than $300

Left1sm.jpg

Now I want to begin its new life as a track bike complete with fairings etc..... From near death arises a new star. LOL

Pete

betarace

me likey... I would imagine that would have no problem at B level... defer to the pros, but that would do the job from my point of view

here is my pig
2dsomk3.png

Ducati Pete

betarace;248104 wrote: me likey... I would imagine that would have no problem at B level... defer to the pros, but that would do the job from my point of view

here is my pig
2dsomk3.png

Sweet Beta,

Us "OLD" guys rip........... at least in our own minds. LOL I have been keeping an eye open to the likes of 996, the predecessor to yours, I believe. It's from the same era as my naked machine and the price should be realistic. I LOVE wrenching on Ducs too. Simply and to the point.The newer they are, the more complicated too............... of course I wouldn't throw an 848 EVO out of the stable. An 1098/1198 would kill me......... maybe an older 748 too. If you find any, drop me a line.

Ride Fast
Pete

betarace

Ducati Pete;248108 wrote: Sweet Beta,

I have been keeping an eye open to the likes of 996
would steer you clear of the pre-testastretta (998) 916 to 996 due to flaking rockers (google it) and dodgy electrics on the early 916's. You can pick up a low mileage 749 or 999 on the cheap as they were/are decidedly unloved in the duc world due to being too far ahead of their time styling wise (but a technological marvel that are honda reliable).

anyway. sign up for a NESBA day, make it known and you will have many folks there to help you

beac83

Pete,

Welcome. You aren't too old. I did my first track day 4 years ago at age 52, after 35 years of street riding. Still having fun here. I'll be at Beaver Run July 21-22, so if you come out then, be sure to come by and say hi.

You'll be fine on the track. The day is organized into three groups, Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. The Beginner group can move at a decent pace, but I know from experience that if you are slower, your fellow riders will look out for you, and the CR's will work with you to raise your skill and comfort level.

Come on out and play!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Cool Duc, Pete! Refresh my memory, which powerplant was in the ST2? Was it a 2 valve air cooled?

I used to have a 1995 900 SS SP. Only bike I sold that I really miss....
Had an '06 Sport Classic, too. Loved the look, but it was an absolute rack to ride, so I sold it as well.

HondaGalToo;248035 wrote: I'm afraid I can't answer that positively. What year are the bikes, and how big are the engines? The only thing currently disallowed on all but the small tracks are single cylinder supermoto bikes (basically dirt or dual-purpose converted over to street tires) that are under 500cc. They just don't obtain the top speeds of regular bikes. There's been a ton of debate on that, as bikes like the TZ125 two stroke are allowed, as are other lower horsepower bikes. But I digress...

My personal feeling is that if they are mechanically sound with no leaks, nothing rattling off them, and have twin or 4 cylinder engines, I would think they'd be ok. I mean, there's vintage racing and stuff:) But I can't give you the answer.

The place to get the definitive answer is to email info@nesba.com

Additionally, you could look up the two mid-atlantic directors on here....screennames of Kubricky and Dave561. If they don't accept PMs, they may have an email address in their signatures.

Hey now! A TZ125 should be faster than a supermoto if tuned and geared correctly. But I digres;)

BZ

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Bubba Zanetti;248158 wrote: Hey now! A TZ125 should be faster than a supermoto if tuned and geared correctly. But I digres;)

BZ
Oh, absolutely! Didn't mean to imply otherwise, only to point out that not everything under 500ccs are banned, just those singles! LOL.

Mikey75702

Welcome Pete. Some amazing people with this group, especially Hondagal.. If you can't get with anyone on here before the event to setup a mentor, you can always just go and speak to whoever you pit next to. I have yet to find a non-helpful member of the Nesba FAMILY. I would also suggest summit point Jefferson course with your thoughts on speed. It is a very small, fun track that is perfect for someone's first day. Best advice I can give is, go introduce yourself to the cr that is running the morning B group meeting after it is done. They like meeting new people and are all great guys. This will also give you a leg up on getting some cr attention, as they will now know its your first day and will probably watch for you on the track to make sure you a progressing safely. Also highly suggest stopping at pit in after your session and chatting with the other crs, so you can get help if you need any. Have fun, be safe, and welcome to the family.

denbsteph

Just to put my two cents worth in here about the CR's and how they pick up on things with out you knowing. My first "N" ride was in August 13, 2011 and the 20th of the same month. I rode my FZ1 out there and had a blast, I was 48 then and loved it. Then in TRACK CRACK fashion, I sold all my dirt bikes and went all out for the Track bike. I returned back to the track in April ( Easter Weekend ) of this year with my newly acquired R6S, gear, Canopies and what ever else you needed to have a fantastic time. I was in the 5TH session of the first day with my R6S and was approached by CR Darren who wanted to give me a tow. So I said cool, then I said " but I have to tell you, this is my first day on this bike", and you know what he said " I remember you on that big bastard last year, you were doing well on that 400 lb pig. I was blown away, I was like what the &*#@, how the hell did you remember that?

Moral of the story is, go out ride your ride, have fun and when you think none of the CR's are watching you, they are. They will approach you before you know it. I was not looking for a bump, I occasionally spoke with a CR that I had a pretty good idea that was behind me and asked him about my body position. They gave me their advise and I tried to work on that. I was content to stay in "B" group for a while, also I believe if you ride your ride and work on the things you know you need to work on, it will all come together. HAVE FUN RIDE YOUR RIDE. Everyone here has given spot on advice, use it to your advantage.

Again, just my two cents worth.

Mikey75702

denbsteph;248224 wrote: Just to put my two cents worth in here about the CR's and how they pick up on things with out you knowing. My first "N" ride was in August 13, 2011 and the 20th of the same month. I rode my FZ1 out there and had a blast, I was 48 then and loved it. Then in TRACK CRACK fashion, I sold all my dirt bikes and went all out for the Track bike. I returned back to the track in April ( Easter Weekend ) of this year with my newly acquired R6S, gear, Canopies and what ever else you needed to have a fantastic time. I was in the 5TH session of the first day with my R6S and was approached by CR Darren who wanted to give me a tow. So I said cool, then I said " but I have to tell you, this is my first day on this bike", and you know what he said " I remember you on that big bastard last year, you were doing well on that 400 lb pig. I was blown away, I was like what the &*#@, how the hell did you remember that?

Moral of the story is, go out ride your ride, have fun and when you think none of the CR's are watching you, they are. They will approach you before you know it. I was not looking for a bump, I occasionally spoke with a CR that I had a pretty good idea that was behind me and asked him about my body position. They gave me their advise and I tried to work on that. I was content to stay in "B" group for a while, also I believe if you ride your ride and work on the things you know you need to work on, it will all come together. HAVE FUN RIDE YOUR RIDE. Everyone here has given spot on advice, use it to your advantage.

Again, just my two cents worth.
I am not suggesting anyone go out with a "i need to get bumped" attitude, but instead go speak with the coaches so they can help you progress. You wont know how much slower your learning curve is until you start working with one of them. It is much easier to improve when you have a highly skilled teacher watching for problem areas and giving you correct advice on how to fix them. And an added bonus to talking with them is you will create friendships with some of the most helpful and genuine people you will ever have the chance to meet.

Ducati Pete

betarace;248110 said:
would steer you clear of the pre-testastretta (998) 916 to 996 due to flaking rockers (google it) and dodgy electrics on the early 916's. You can pick up a low mileage 749 or 999 on the cheap as they were/are decidedly unloved in the duc world due to being too far ahead of their time styling wise (but a technological marvel that are honda reliable).

anyway. sign up for a NESBA day, make it known and you will have many folks there to help you[/QUOTEI

Did some reading up today on the two recommened versions today and see they exactly what you say, top notch, ahead of their time machines. A quick eBay search for some completed sales to find an 8 year old 999 selling at $10K..... I think people are starting to catch up with the machines. The 749, a better choice for me, is a more realistic price point in the $5k to $7k arena.

Thanks for the advice.