Grips and Bar Ends?

RADAR Magnet

I don't like the look of my stock grips and bar ends; have done a bit of surfing on alternatives but thought I'd come out here and see what opinions are for each. Which grips/ends do you guys like or dislike?

avizpls

#11-A
Renthal cheap ass grips (may not be the actual product name) and round nubby bar ends that come with vortex bars.

both highly technical items.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I switched to Woodcraft clip-ons and got rid of stock. Like the vortex, the bars have small little black plastic ends. Much better to fix in a crash, as the bar part is replaceable at less expense than a stock bar.

I like the light gray (soft) Renthal grips for the track.

Meat

Check the clearance between the upper fairing and the new clip-ons and cables and hoses. Some bikes will need modification did to the clip-ons being a little farther forward than stock.

I have Graves on this bike, I had Woodcraft on my last bike.

I like the Renthal medium density grips because.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Meat;301295 wrote: Check the clearance between the upper fairing and the new clip-ons and cables and hoses. Some bikes will need modification did to the clip-ons being a little farther forward than stock.

I have Graves on this bike, I had Woodcraft on my last bike.

I like the Renthal medium density grips because.
Good point about the clearance. I seem to recall that Hondas may have those issues, not sure which models. Check with Woodcraft, for some clipons they have additional products, such as risers, etc. for certain bike models with clearance issues. At least I think so, check their website.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
One item that comes up repeatedly during tech inspection is missing bar ends. Everyone should have something in place in their bar ends. Handlebars and foot pegs can do some serious damage if we are tangled up with the bike during a crash.

That being said, I have Vortex clip-ons on my bike. I also have a couple replacement tubes in the trailer. The entire clip-on runs about $140. The replacement tubes are $14.
VTX-CL0050S_is

If you are running stock bars, you should have bar ends in place. If not, aftermarket bar ends are cheap insurance. You can pick them up for around $20. If it were me, I would have a set on the bike and another in my parts bin.
0000-bikemaster-anti-vibration-bar-ends.jpg

I have Renthal dual compound grips on my bike. They give great feedback through the bars and don't slip even in the wet. They can be had just about anywhere for $14.
ren_10_gri_dia_dua_com_str_gry-blk.jpg

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
You should be fine with most after market replacement parts. I use Renthal soft grips, Woodcraft clipons and Vortex replacement bars. Make sure you have spares. :agree:

RADAR Magnet

Thanks guys, this is helpful. I actually have a set of Woodcraft clip ons that I've had laying around in case of an accident. I think I'll just slap some new grips on them (I was also leaning toward Renthal) and put them on the bike. Not having done that before, I'll be back with more questions later...

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
RADAR Magnet;301402 wrote: Thanks guys, this is helpful. I actually have a set of Woodcraft clip ons that I've had laying around in case of an accident. I think I'll just slap some new grips on them (I was also leaning toward Renthal) and put them on the bike. Not having done that before, I'll be back with more questions later...
Using an air compressor with a blow gun attachment makes installing grips a breeze. If you need to, spray the bars with soapy water. Makes it easy to install, and will tack up nicely once tried. Others also use hair spray. Quick safety wire on both ends of the grip after installation, and you're ready to rock.

I'm so pro active (Or know how crappy I ride) I even have my extra set of grips on my extra clip ons. Just in case I have an easy low side, that's one less step I gotta do to fix the bike up.

noobinacan

hey lee for your bike
you're gonna need 1.5in rise clipon's or atleast 1" rise i think..or else they won't clear your bodywork
don't go too tall or you'll need new brake lines ;)

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
What Ottoman said for grip install. I've used hairspray to install all my grips; except the soft (light gray) Renthals. They're so pliable that I needed to use grip glue (Renthal) on them, in addition to safety wire, to keep them in place.

When you install the clip-on bar on the throttle side, you'll notice a "nub" on the throttle housing that fits into a corresponding hole or slot on the OEM bars. That "nub" keeps the throttle housing from rotating. Measure and drill an appropriate sized hole in the clip-on bar to accommodate the housing "nub". Some have just sanded off the nub and used some grip tape, but I think it's safer to leave the nub and drill the hole, to be sure the housing won't rotate.

Meat

HondaGalToo;301427 wrote:

When you install the clip-on bar on the throttle side, you'll notice a "nub" on the throttle housing that fits into a corresponding hole or slot on the OEM bars. That "nub" keeps the throttle housing from rotating. Measure and drill an appropriate sized hole in the clip-on bar to accommodate the housing "nub". Some have just used some grip tape, but I think it's safer to drill the hole, to be sure the housing won't rotate.

Excellent advice. I forgot about that one because I've usually switched to aftermarket clip-ons after a crash and the motorcycle gods seem to like eating that little nub on my first impact.

Meat

And I use cheap hairspray as well. I swear when I bought it everyone was thinking "bald man buying hairspray"....poor guy.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Meat;301475 wrote: Excellent advice. I forgot about that one because I've usually switched to aftermarket clip-ons after a crash and the motorcycle gods seem to like eating that little nub on my first impact.
Initially, I dremeled the nub off. Then the more I read, the more I decided that was a bad idea. Plus the throttle housing was moving just a bit. So, I got a small screw, put it in where the nub was, cut off the screw head and dremeled to the correct height of nubliness, and viola! New nub. It's held up for several years now and survived a couple of crashes.

And I don't have to worry about the throttle housing moving.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I must admit, I grind that nub off. But I've never had a problem with the throttle housing rotating. Must be a Honda thing. :D

RADAR Magnet

Good tips on the risers and nubs. Think I'm set in both areas as my clip-ons came with the risers and are also per drilled; can't remember if I bought them through here or a Honda forum; hopefully the holes line up with my throttle housing but I'll just drill some new ones if not.