Group Outing to Texas Tornado Boot Camp

ronhix

Many of you have been asking me about the group outing to TTBC, I'm happy to tell you that the outing is still a go! Nothing has changed.

First, let me say thank you to NESBA for allowing me to make this announcement on this forum.

Second, I want to be very clear that this group outing has absolutely nothing to do with NESBA in any way (other than the fact that the people who I ride with at NESBA events are like family to me). This group outing does not signify that TTBC and NESBA are affiliated in any way. The discounted pricing being offered is in no way associated with any actions taken by NESBA, promises made in regards to NESBA, nor any participant's current standing as a NESBA member.

Here's the details:

Dates are Nov 17,18,19,20

School starts at 4pm on the 17th and we ride into the evening. School concludes on the 20th about 3pm so people can fly out in the evening.

Cost is $1600 per person which is reduced from the $2250 which is normally the cost for a four day school. This discount is available ONLY because Monster negotiated this rate with TTBC and then cancelled the dates and moved them to next year. This discount was then made available to us.

The cost includes everything (including gear, lodging, food and drinks). It does not include flight and rental car to the school. Rental cars are cheap though, I think the one we got was $23 a day. Flights to Houston are also very reasonable with it costing roughly $230 from Chicago on a direct round trip flight.

Right now…this is a PRIVATE school, reserved for us and is not open to the general public. TTBC is giving us the opportunity to fill the school with friends and family before it will be opened to the public. So, please do not delay in signing up if you would like to go.

Included in the school:

Race prepped Yamaha TTR 110, 125 & 230
Riding gear and safety equipment
Lodging (4 people to a room with bunk beds or available VIP suits)
All food and refreshments
DVD of events
No bike or equipment deposit
All onsite activities

Schedule:

Thursday Night
5:00pm
Camp Opens for Orientation and Bike/Gear Selection
Safety Meeting and learn about the camp
Dinner
Free Ride

Friday

7:30am Breakfast
9:00am - 12:00pm
Bike Skills on Oval and TT Track
12:00pm - 1:00pm
Lunch Break
1:00pm - 6:30pm
Bike Skills on Oval and TT Track or extracurricular activities*
Superpole timed event
6:30pm - 7:30pm
Dinner
8:30pm - 9:30pm
Night racing under the lights on TT track

Saturday

7:30am Breakfast
Lunch Break
1:00pm - 6:30pm
Bike Skills on Oval and TT Track or extracurricular activities*
Superpole timed event
6:30pm - 7:30pm
Dinner
8:30pm - 9:30pm
Night racing under the lights on TT track

Sunday

7:30am
Good ol' Texas Breakfast
Lunch
1:00pm - 4:30pm
Superpole timed event
5:00pm - 6:00pm
Camp shut down preparation

Frequently asked questions:

A lot of people make comments on how there "isn't a lot of riding during the day". Our experience at the last 3 day event (note that this is a 4 day event) was that we were totally exhausted from all the time spent on the bike. The instructors are also very cool, you can ride as much as you want during down time. But if you're like me, you are gonna need to sit down and rest. :)

The other thing people wonder about is if Colin will be there all the time. My understanding is that Colin is present at almost all of the schools, he was there early and stayed late the entire camp that we previously attended. Obviously, this is not something we can guarantee. However, all the instructors are excellent

The other objection people have is that its not a road race school since it is "in the dirt". This is simply not true. Colin is a road racer and the school is geared very much toward road racing skills development. The bikes are ingeniously setup with a knobby front (good grip) and a supermoto style slick rear (not so much grip). This is a good simulation of how a 200 HP superbike feels on lap 17 of a hotly contested race as you dice it up for rostrum finish in 100 degree temps (or at least that is what I'm told). :D

The end result is that it will help you with "better and smoother" on the controls as well as the increased feel for what the bike is doing underneath you as the rear end is "moving around". Being superb on the brakes is also stressed during the course...as you are "backing it in" and "power sliding it out" for 4 days straight! It is no secret that the fast guys train in the dirt. One of the biggest reasons why?? The ability to develop an excellent "feel" for the bike as it gets loose and begins to move around. The dirt provides a similar feel and is much more forgiving pushing it to the limit on a road race course.

Extracurricular activities:

★Go Cart Racing
★Traxxas RC Car Racing
★Paint Ball Wars
★Target Shooting
★Table Tennis and Pool
★Relaxing in the Tornado Saloon

How to sign up:

Step 1:

Go to www.texastornadobootcamp.com and on the home page and click on "Sign-up Now!"
TTBC-01.jpg

Step 2:
Select the 4 day camp for Nov 17 - 20th dates
TTBC-02.jpg

Step 3:

Enter your info
TTBC-03.jpg

Step 4:

Choose the $500 deposit option
TTBC-04.jpg

Step 5:

Let them know you are part of the group that rides with NESBA
TTBC-05.jpg

Step 6:

The school will then send you a paypal invoice for $500 for your deposit (due immediately) and another for $1100 which is the remaining balance (due no later than 2 weeks prior to camp open). You can pay the deposit or you can go ahead and pay both together at one time.

After you are all signed up and have paid at least the deposit, please shoot me a PM letting me know. Thanks!

PLEASE NOTE: If you book this camp by sending the $500 deposit and for some reason cancel and move the camp to a later date, you WILL NOT receive the discounted price for the camp scheduled at a later date! The price is good for ONLY this camp.

Please do not delay in signing up, we have a limited window before this is opened up to the public. Please sign up quickly if you plan to join us!

ronhix

JeffNDarcy;220153 wrote: Signing Jeff sarchett up Monday. Do u have any info on spectators. Am I able to stay there too but not ride?
Not sure, I'll check on it for ya.

JeffNDarcy

I have been trying to get ahold of them today. Im sure with the events of this weekend they wont be available. We are wanting to take our son and daughter with us...im sure its not a problem but need to find out if its extra $ and if we need the vip room or whatever. Plane tics out of chicago are $230 round trip. Not bad at all.

ronhix

I wanted to provide an update to all those that have signed up for the TTBC. With the events of this last weekend (RIP Marco) and Colin's injury we are waiting to see if there is going to be an issue with Colin being at the scheduled camp.

After talking with the camp director he indicated that he was fairly confident that we would still be a go for our date. We should have an answer from the camp director this week and once I have the information I will post up.

Truly tragic accident this past weekend with Marco, has to be terrible for Colin and Vale being involved as well.

ronhix

Just got some good news from Mike at TTBC. We are a 100% go on the date.

Those of you that have been awaiting an email response, should be receiving one soon.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Good news/Bad news
First, the GN...got my e-mail, the camp is ON and expect Colin to be there. Hopefully he's not too busted up, I'm sure he's suffering from last weekends events even though there's nothing he could have done about it.

The BN, My Mom fell and badly broke her hip/leg. As I'm the primary care giver I'm scrambling to take care of things. I still expect to attend the camp, just need to get one of the sisters to pitch in (they live far away).

Motofun352

Control Rider
All set, signed up and fee paid! :) Also rented a car, Arrive at Houston at noon on the 17th, depart Sunday 20th at 3:50 pm (a little early, I know, but the best I could do)...anyone want to share a ride?

Motofun352

Control Rider
Got back home from boot camp last night...late. Popped a couple of Advils and slept like the dead. All I can say is Colin Edwards Boot Camp is an absolute blast.
Never having ridden dirt bikes, especially setup to slide the rear, I was apprehensive about how this was going to work out. Not to worry, the instructors were top notch. After I got past the initial re-orientation required to push the bike down and spin up the rear, things started to make sense. Bottom line, I think these skills will directly translate over to track riding....(Duh, I guess if all the pro-riders there practicing and gooning around say so, it must be true.)
Finally, the "atmosphere" is totally laid back and relaxed...but underneath, it is very professionally done.

If you're on the fence about this camp...it's worth it. More later, time to catch up on chores.

Matt

Motofun352;223846 wrote: Got back home from boot camp last night...late. Popped a couple of Advils and slept like the dead. All I can say is Colin Edwards Boot Camp is an absolute blast.
Never having ridden dirt bikes, especially setup to slide the rear, I was apprehensive about how this was going to work out. Not to worry, the instructors were top notch. After I got past the initial re-orientation required to push the bike down and spin up the rear, things started to make sense. Bottom line, I think these skills will directly translate over to track riding....(Duh, I guess if all the pro-riders there practicing and gooning around say so, it must be true.)
Finally, the "atmosphere" is totally laid back and relaxed...but underneath, it is very professionally done.

If you're on the fence about this camp...it's worth it. More later, time to catch up on chores.

+1

Was just about the most fun, laid back, and exhausting weekend I've ever had. Sitting around a campfire BS'ing with Colin was one of those moments I'll never forget. The education I got on the tracks there will for sure translate over to road racing. I was a little surprised during the introductions on Thursday night to learn all but two of the instructors there considered themselves road racers but were there teaching me to ride dirt. I can't wait to go back.

Ron Hix put it almost perfectly.. What's there not to like? PLENTY of riding time (To quote Cory West "My butt is so chapped..."), guns, 50 cal, tracer rounds, night vision boar hunting, beer, great food, fun guys, and on and on and on...

ronhix

mete basakinci;224560 wrote: Well how was it enlighten us pls
It was completely off the hook. Even, better than the first time I went.

The first time I went, it took some time for me and that dirt bike to become friends. This trip, I got past that quickly and really learned a lot from all the drills and the seat time with the bike stepped out sideways. I was in the faster group this time around and there was a whole other level of drills to experience. This school is deep, I'll definitely be back if at all possible. Love it. :)

We will be planning another event early next season for those who would like to go, but could not make it this last time. Be on the lookout for the post.

1up5down

Control Rider
ronhix;224613 wrote: It was completely off the hook. Even, better than the first time I went.

The first time I went, it took some time for me and that dirt bike to become friends. This trip, I got past that quickly and really learned a lot from all the drills and the seat time with the bike stepped out sideways. I was in the faster group this time around and there was a whole other level of drills to experience. This school is deep, I'll definitely be back if at all possible. Love it. :)

We will be planning another event early next season for those who would like to go, but could not make it this last time. Be on the lookout for the post.
Yo Ron, I think you need to check yourself in to RSA (Riding School Anonymous), lol! First YCRS and now Boot Camp. I'm not mad at you!

Keep us posted on the 2012 date!

miztic

You guys are not helping at all! :)
I've been debating going to YCRS or California Superbike school, and now this, I can't decide which to choose lol (I can only afford to do one a year).