GSXR to an R6

Jase

All of my bikes have been Suzuki's, I'm thinking of selling my 06 GSX-R600 with most of the goodies to an 08 R6 with all the goodies. I've always wanted to try and R6, so now i have a chance to do so. What I would like to know is what should I expect from the R6 that's different for the GSXR?

Also, what was the best year for the R6?

stow

Jase;225725 wrote: All of my bikes have been Suzuki's, I'm thinking of selling my 06 GSX-R600 with most of the goodies to an 08 R6 with all the goodies. I've always wanted to try and R6, so now i have a chance to do so. What I would like to know is what should I expect from the R6 that's different for the GSXR?

Also, what was the best year for the R6?
Seating position is completely different. On the GSX-R600 you feel like you are in the bike. On the R6 you feel like you are on top of the bike. The GSX-R600 seems to be more forgiving, where as the R6 is very agile. I felt like with the R6 you have to be very precise with your inputs as any little movement will move that bike around. The GSX-R600 doesn't respond as fast or as easily as the R6. The R6 also seems to give a lot more front end feel entering a turn.

I prefer the GSX-R600 over the R6, but that is primarily due to the fact that I am sort of a sloppy rider. I tend to move around on the bike and weight the bars too much and that just made the R6 tough for me to ride. But I also wasted a lot of time chasing a good setup on the R6.

Lonewrench

Any R6 2008 and up would be great,set up info and spares are plentiful. We have tons of experience with both drop us a line if you need assistance.

Matt H

Sort of along the lines of Shane's repsonse. They are very different. I have ridden all sorts of years of both bikes. The R6 really screams at the very upper revs, but is pretty gutless when it falls lower in the revs. The GSXR has a bit more torque and pulls out of lower revs better, but doesn't have quite the top end scream of the last few 1000 or so rpm. The seating position is definitly more on top of the bike and over the front end of the motorcycle on the R6, and the GSXR is more in the bike. This probably contributes to the R6 turning ridiculously easy, and the GSXR taking a little more effort. But then the GSXR feels more stable and gives more front end feedback in a turn, and doesn't feel like you are holding your body back from going over the bars under really hard braking. The R6 will transition side to side faster and with less effort (like a chicane).

So pick from there what you think YOU like better and works for you. Both outstanding bikes.

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
I went from a '07 750 to an 08+/- R6. All I can say is AWESOME!! Both are very capable bikes, but the R6 suits me better because it will go where I want, when I want. I did a demo and immediately knew it was a better fit for me. What I noticed about the transition (some repeated):
You ride more like a jockey, (on top).
It responds quicker to inputs.
The bike moves around a bit more than the gixxer.
It's more nimble. It falls into turns and changes direction easier.
You will shift WAY, WAY, WAY too early at first because what sounds like redline on the gixxer is just getting into the power on the yammi. Glance down at the tach on the straights at first so you get an idea of what it should sound like when you need to shift.

If you get it, have someone who knows the platform to set it up. It makes a world of difference.

ridelater

personally i think on a whole there is no difference. there both inline 6's I went from a zx6r to gsxr and within a weekend i was back to my old ways. yeah there ergo difference but you figure it out fast enough. try to get it set-up closest to your old style and then make ur changes. now when i went from a 600 to a duc 848 i must have rode it 20 days and never got the hang of it. i will never ride a twin again. then again opinions are like assholes! best answer jst get alot of seat time and u wont have worries!!!

BlueMax

I hope 1down5up pipes in. He got rid of both his gsxr's (600 &750) and now rides an R6. Like to hear his piont of view.

1up5down

Control Rider
BlueMax;225753 wrote: I hope 1down5up pipes in. He got rid of both his gsxr's (600 &750) and now rides an R6. Like to hear his piont of view.
Well, I would hate to disappoint you (John). Hope you and the family have a wonderful Holiday Season and I look forward to seeing out on the track in 2012!

Jase (Jason) -

Like the others have mentioned there are differences between the bikes and both bikes are very capable.

My experience with the GSXR to R6 conversion:

As BlueMax mentioned, back in late 2009 I sold both my 07 GSXR 600 & 750 and purchased an 08 R6. 2008+ R6 is the only way to go in my mind. Yes, both of my GSXRs were well set up with ohlins front and rear by Thermosman and ton of others goodies. As you know I don't play around when it comes to setting up my bike(s). I love GSXRs as I had an 2000 GSXR 600 and 2003 GSXR 750 previously. So, I know GSXRs.

Similar to Mr. Curtis after doing a demo on the R6 at Summit Point in Sept 2009 it was very clear to me that the R6 handles very well and pulled like crazy up top compared the GSXR 600. The 750 obviously has more power over the R6, but the handling of the R6 is unreal.

Yeah, the R6 offers a more aggressive riding position where your mass is centered and over the tank. Personally, I like this as it gives me the feeling of having more control of the bike especially the front end. One very distinct difference that Mr. Curtis and others have mentioned, is the screaming engine of the R6 and modest mid range power. You'll adjust to riding at the ideal rev's, it's not difficult. To help me deal with the screaming engine I use ear plugs. I can't ride the R6 without them.

There are ton of R6 riders who previously rode GSXRs, Kawi, and Honda. So that should tell you something right there. My buddy Regg converted from the ZX6 to R6 this season is was killing it after something like 3 trackdays. I'm talking about best times at NJMP (Thunderbolt) 1:36s on the ZX6 to 1:31s on the R6. He was a wise man and listened to me and others and had the bike set up properly. A must for any make model track only bike.

Bottom line is you will not be disappointed with whatever decision you make. Oh, yeah! As you know, I like the R6 that much that I bought an 09 last winter to have two.:p

If you don't get R6 from our buddy, I may add it to my collection and make triplets as the twins won't mind :D

Happy Holidays & stopping debating and buy the damn thing already!

NickMcCoy

If I can ever sell my GSXR and choose to get another bike I will get an R6 also, but it seems impossible to sell one of these right now so good luck if you try it. I was never able to get my GSXR to handle the way I wanted it so I'm giving up, someone who knows how to set it up better than I do can figure it out.

kubricky

Control Rider
Director
Lots of opinions and considerations. After basically riding both exclusively, I would tell you that there are differences in the bikes and in how they handle. The way these manifest themselves can change and riding style can increase/decrease.

In my opinion, the R6 is a more precise bike, you may find yourself turning in "too early" or "faster" when you climb aboard - this isn't a good or bad thing, but an observation.

The revs and shifting are pretty important as well, make sure you understand the differences in how the bike gets and make power. I find that the R6 makes power a little higher in the range (9000 - 12500) where the GSXR can be counted on to pull from the 6500 - 9500 range. That is subjective too, but understand YOUR machine - there are generally subtle differences.

Have someone set the bike up for your weight -- NOT like your old bike. Have someone who understands the R6 prepare it for you as an R6 should be. Do not try to set up an R6 like a GSXR. There may be some similarities, but I was puzzled by that comment.

Ask questions and find one to throw a leg over. You can put some laps on mine next season if it will help.

You can do what i did and have both... I started riding on an R6 and when i started riding at the track this past fall i picked up a built 02 gsxr... just sitting on the 2 bikes is way different, next spring will be a learning experiance

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
burtonboarder230;225812 wrote: You can do what i did and have both... I started riding on an R6 and when i started riding at the track this past fall i picked up a built 02 gsxr... just sitting on the 2 bikes is way different, next spring will be a learning experiance
IMHO, if you are new to track riding, I would find one bike and just run that on the track. It can be challenging transitioning back and forth and getting comfortable on the bikes. Stick with one and build some solid skills, rather than the focus being on getting comfortable on the bike. It also sounds like one is a street bike and the other has track upgrades. If so, that's another thing that can make going back and forth challenging. I know several people who had second bikes, only to sell them and stick with one. It's usually the one that's more fun to ride.

yea, iv had the r6 for a few years now and the gsxr sort of fell in my lap... figured id see how it is on the track and go from there... worst case one bike gets sold and i pick up a yzf450 :)

Jase

Picked up the R6. '08 with all the goodies!!

Sat on it, and it really does put in front over the gas tank. That will take some getting use too...

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Jase;226589 wrote: Picked up the R6. '08 with all the goodies!!

Sat on it, and it really does put in front over the gas tank. That will take some getting use too...
No GSXR, you sold your soul...:rtfm:

Nah, congrats on your new whip, it's going to be a fun 2012 seasons.:cool:

Jase

vinny337;226652 wrote: No GSXR, you sold your soul...:rtfm:

Nah, congrats on your new whip, it's going to be a fun 2012 seasons.:cool:
Thanks Vinny.

Just by sitting on it and riding it up and down the street, it does feel more aggressive than the GSXR.

1up5down

Control Rider
Jase;226665 wrote: Thanks Vinny.

Just by sitting on it and riding it up and down the street, it does feel more aggressive than the GSXR.

Congrats, Jason! You'll have fun on it.