GSXR WEIRDNESS - help needed!

littlelady

So my fat bike has decided to be throw a tantrum and is throwing all kinds of funkiness when on track.:argh:

Symptoms of the problem:
While running, engine/system seems to reset (shut off-come back on immediately).
e.g. I'll be running in 3rd gear, and the tac will be dancing between 0 rpms and red line. Petrol light will come on and off (even with full tank). Gearing display will blink dashes at me. FI light is on and throwing code C21. Oh, and engine bogs of course when system seems to 'reset'....so this push-pull effect happening while riding.

Happens:

• across all rev points (low & high)
  • when up & down or leaned over
  • leaned left & rightnoticeably worse when climbing a hill (e.g. T7 @ North)kept getting worse all weekendLCD/dash throwing the above even when pitting in and coasting in hot pit with clutch pulled in (while in 1st gear)
We checked all connectors, checked the tip-over sensor, checked air box, checked resistance on air intake sensor (that's what code C21 led us to testing)......

ANYONE have ideas about what could be doing this? :confused:

I've tried all suggestions but for one more. I will be tracing the wires from the wiring harness to the ECU tonight... check to see if any wires burnt or burning through, but if that's NOT the case then WTF is going on with her :notsure:

Ruhe52

Kim drop it with Cal and have he bring it
To Road A this weekend if he can I'll come grab it and get it to Chuck if you want. One symptom the dashes flashing sounds like TPM issue but certainly not all the other stuff.
Let us know what you find on harness as it sound like something most def fubar there. Also any chance you can borrow another ECU and see if it still does it. You may have a F up unit.
Had one go bad on the R6 and it was full on ghost in the machine type stuff.
Cutting
Out running lean rich not at all dash went fuggin berserker.

finny47

I ve seen similar on loose battery terminal connections. Hit just the right vibration and it dies and comes back

steve gould

Kim,
You are in Raleigh/Durham right? Bring it over to Jim (Nesba CR) at Max Speed Cycles in Kernersville and he will get it fixed up for you.

littlelady

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it turns out!

Steve - trying to run CMP this weekend but not sure I can get to & from Kernersville w/ work this week - I'm giving myself tonight to look at it but if I luck out I'll see about getting it to Jim. Thanks for info on that :)

Ruhe52

I was referring to a properly built R6

Mike Ruhe
SE CR 52
2006 Yamaha R6
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2010 BMW S1000rr
2011 Suzuki GSXR 750

Support our Servicemen and Women
www.swettwarriors.org

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson

steve gould

Kim
I was at jim's shop tonight and mentioned your problem. He said he has seen the kickstand switch cause the same problems.

littlelady

Ok, so it looks like it has to do with the way the previous owner routed the wiring to make the system a keyless-ignition. They routed the ignition to run through the same switch as for the fuel (my kill switch), using a resistor (100 ohms) before it connects with the fuel wiring to decrease the power so as not to blow the switch. Unfortunately, they used a ghetto setup that resulted in the resistor pulling lose from it's connection. After taking a look at it and seeing it finally disconnect entirely, engine now won't even start. So pretty sure it's the cause of all of the issues!

photo-3.JPG

photo-1.JPG

photo.JPG

So it looks like i'll need to put on a different resistor mechanism - one that can handle motorcycle vibrations (it looks like the type they used needs to be plugged into a circuit board or some other stationary system)

Anyone know how others have setup their wiring with the resistor to have the keyless ignition system run with iginition & fuel through the kill switch? Any suggestions on which kind of resistor mechanism others have used?

I can jerry rig it in the meantime, but would much prefer just replacing the resistor wiring right now

JRA

Kim, you should be able to reuse the same resistor and just solder each end back to the wires. The pictures are too small for me to see exactly what it looks like but I've had several keyless set-ups that I made with Radio Shack resistors which are probably identical to the ones in your pictures. Just use some shrinkable tubing over the resistor and fold the wires over each other so that resistor can't be tugged loose, then tape it up.

Ruhe52

Kim here is what the wiring should look like and follow John's advice to solder and then shrink tube it tape it up good and make sure you secure it in the event it gets pulled it pulls against a zip tie not the wiring.

kawaholic

littlelady;275766 wrote: haha!! I need an R6 like I need the plague Ruhe :p
attagirl :haha:

i was going to suggest the kickstand switch too. that thing gave me fits on my bike for a while last year until i figured it out. glad to see you've got it worked out.

Ruhe52

So what the hell was it Gremlins?

Mike Ruhe
SE CR 52
2006 Yamaha R6
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2010 BMW S1000rr
2011 Suzuki GSXR 750

Support our Servicemen and Women
www.swettwarriors.org

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson

littlelady

Haha yes might as well have been!

So it looks like the whole LCD screen & power/ignition issue was 2-fold - combination of resistor pulling loose in connection to kill switch & tip-over sensor bouncing out of mechanism that usually holds it down!

But all looks well (so it seems) - as was able to run the rest of CMP fine. It did seem to take Pitzer sitting on the bike to finally make her work right... but then again, maybe she was just grateful that it was ME going to be taking her out! She must have realized that I give her a special touch so she better darn well keep running smoothly :p