Hardware for mounting Armour Bodies '08 R6

TMR

First, I would like to start out by saying, this is not meant to be a complaint or buyers remorse. I know there would be a challenge mounting the kit, I just thought it would be easier. Again, I am a firsttimer with this stuff. Please read on and if anyone has some advice, it would be very helpful.

I just received a set of Armour Bodies race plastics for
my '08 YZF-R6. I only had a couple of hour to fit them
on the bike before having to leave on vacation. I have never
done this before. I am very handy and a DO IT Yourselfer, but
I gotta say this is much harder getting things to line up
and fit properly that I thought (I watched a Youtube vid of the
Sportbike Track Gear team installing a set on a '07 R6) It
appeared to be pretty easy and straight forward.
As of right now, I have probably six holes that I will have to repair whenI get home. I thought I needed to retain the STOCK rubber grommets and screws. Doing so meant I had to drill some pretty large holes to get the grommets to fit.Also, the head of the factory fasteners are too large to fit in some of the mounting point recesses. So, this leaves me some questions: do you use the factory screws and grommets, how do you attach the seat cowl (the black plastic rivet type things seem to be pretty loose) how do you attach the bottom of the seat cowl (even dry fitting seems to have some alignment/fitment issues)

Any advice for a first timer with this kind of thing would be great.

Also, please forgive any grammer/typing mistakes, I am typing this on my Blackberry while sitting in a hotel room in Wyoming.

dogger

Hey Tim: I used some automotive type clips and screws to mount my tail. If you want give me a call 828-460-7377 and I'll look at my bike and tell you what I did.

Pascal

No worries, first time can be a little frustrating! Different folks have different ways of mounting bodywork. I'm on the anal retentive side, so my approach is probably over-thought, but it works.

To keep the upper and lower together use D-Zus fasteners. they are 1/4 turn fasteners that are easy to put on and remove.

For hardware to exiting tapped points, use what works. there are times I keep the original bolts, sometimes they just don't work so you find something that fits.

try not to rush - fitting bodywork can go quick or slow - either way you can't force the issue or mistakes get made.

- mount the wind shield
- fit the upper with the ram air tubes
- wrap some blue painters tape over the tank and onto the sides of the upper to hold it in place. move the upper around until it looks good - the ley points are making sure you have some meat to mount the fairing stay to, that there is room between the front wheel and the bodywork, making sure the air tubes are being held in place. if you can get the pre-marked holes close, that's great - good overall fitment is more important.
- now repeat with the lower, again using blue painters tape to hold things in place. watch the front wheel to make sure there is some room between the wheel and the bodywork.
- move things around till it looks good.
- you can mark up the bodywork to indicate drill points using a pencil - if you use a sharpie it will be hard to cover with paint (trust me on this), pencil is easy to get off. if you cover areas you are markign with blue tape then sharpie away. for marking holes that line up with tapped points on the body work put some silly putty o plumbers putty on the back of the plastics, and gently press - the tapped hole will leave an imprint.
- always cover the outside of the plastics with blue tape befor drilling, it will help tearing.
- for the ones you marked with putty, drill from the inside out with a 1/16th" bit, then from the outside in.
- use a dremel with a cone grindstone on it to enlarge/shape as needed.

I've never fitted R6 bodywork, but typically I have fitted the under part of the tail to the tail itself using d-zus fasteners - same ones that I use to hold the upper and lower together.

hope that helps!

Cooney

Tim,

I won't add on too much to Pascel other then the tail. I used the existing stock platic clips. Works well and clean fit.

Certainly one of those things, second time is a charm and now your an expert. The more practice, the better you will get at it.

Definitely don't want to put a time limit on your install or it can get frustrating when you don't meet your expectations.

Cooney

One more thing!

If you have a Stock exhaust system, the lower fairing is tight.

After market full exhaust - gives you just the right amount of wiggle room, but still firm!

stow

Wellnuts work pretty well (no pun intended) on the tail and connecting the upper and lower. Also using a unibit to drill the holes makes everything cleaner and easier.

TMR

OK I am making progress but I am still not finished. I started tonight by filling the holes I drilled. Once that was done, I went to start mounting things up again.

What size holes do you use for the main mounting points, 1/4" or 9/32" or something larger?

When using the stock wind screen, do you have to cut the groove to receive it in the upper? If comparing to the stock upper fairing, there is a groove that the entire bottom edge of the wind screen sits in to make it flush with the other body work.

If I go with an after market wind screen, can that be installed without modifying the upper fairing? If so, which one would work without having to modify the upper fairing?

Do you have to line the bottom pan with something to keep it from getting way too hot? I am running the stock exhaust and it gets pretty close. There is clearance, but it is a close fit.

Last question, do you use 2 or 3 dzus fasteners when joining the lower and the upper?

All of the advice and encouragement has been very much appreciated.

Thank You!

stkr

I did my first set a few years ago, and it can be a pain in the ass at times. My bike had aftermarket case covers, so I also had to cut out relief areas with a dremel tool. Just take your time, and before you know it, you'll be done.

What size holes do you use for the main mounting points, 1/4" or 9/32" or something larger?Just make the holes large enough for the mounting screws, but not to where it's all sloppy. Sloppy isnever a good thing. ;)

When using the stock wind screen, do you have to cut the groove to receive it in the upper? If comparing to the stock upper fairing, there is a groove that the entire bottom edge of the wind screen sits in to make it flush with the other body work.

If I go with an after market wind screen, can that be installed without modifying the upper fairing? If so, which one would work without having to modify the upper fairing?The factory plastics are all moulded to give the best final finish. Race plastics are just to cover your bike. You windscreen will be mounted inside the upper fairing, and IT WILL sit below the edge of the fiberglass. Perfectly normal.

I would just go with a simple windscreen, or double bouble style. I would recommend a clear one in case you want to run a camera behind it, but color is your choice.

Do you have to line the bottom pan with something to keep it from getting way too hot? I am running the stock exhaust and it gets pretty close. There is clearance, but it is a close fit.
They make insulating mats that can be glued on the inside. Not sure where to get them though. Maybe auto parts store, or a performance shop. I should have used some, because my exhaust burned a hole through mine. I "thought" there was enough clearance.

Last question, do you use 2 or 3 dzus fasteners when joining the lower and the upper?
I used three(3) on mine. Caution though: Don't put the fasteners at the front too close to the end. Make sure it's about 3-4 inches back from where the upper/lower V's come together. This gives the male Dzus pin to be pulled back and clears the female Dzus receiver.

ron

Control Rider
I just fitted ArmourBodies to my 08 R6. The fit pretty well with the following notes.

The stock windscreen needs to be trimmed. Cut off the tabs with a dremel.

The bodywork fits (tightly) about the stock headers and many aftermarket exhausts (graves), but it won't fit with the LeoVince. I run the LeoVince and I had to cut a hole and glass a 'bulge' in the bottom of the lower.

I used the stock clips and top bolt to mount the tail. DZUS to attach the undertail.

The upper fit using the supplied brackets and the stock two side bolts. I moved the fuze box and some connectors down an inch to make a little more room.

The lower was attached to the upper with three DZUS per side. No need to use all the other attach points. I used one additional bracket at the back on the left side I made with a strip of aluminum. That way I can remove the lower fast. No screws, only DZUS.

-Ron

joesgarageracing.com
stockisforsissies.com