Haulmark Low Hauler interior removal

Meat

I need to insulate my Haulmark Low Hauler trailer and can't seem to figure out how to get the interior out without destroying it and possibly damaging the trailer. I really like how the Low Haulers are finished on the inside, and I also lack the craftsmanship to reproduce it myself.

Does anyone know how to get these interiors out without damage? It appears that everything is glued and stapled.

If no one knows how to get it out, recommendations on where to get it insulated (not too far from Greenville, SC) would be great. Definitely looking for quality as a crappy job will irritate me every time I see it.

Thank you in advance.

alocker

If you have the wood paneling, its a pain in the ass. The only way is to carefully pry it up, do your insulating, then remove all the little staples from the wood (usually a zillion of them), then re-staple.

Meat

alocker;161680 wrote: If you have the wood paneling, its a pain in the ass. The only way is to carefully pry it up, do your insulating, then remove all the little staples from the wood (usually a zillion of them), then re-staple.
That is what I was worried about. Thank you for your help.

meanstrk

Control Rider
Meat,
Like he said, you gotta pull it away and get rid of the staples. I would use quality screws putting it back together though, and if it's thin stuff, consider upgrading to heavier plywood so you can hang crap on the walls.

I gotta pull my stuff out to trace a wiring short myself, so I am insulating at the same time as well.

sobottka

rugbymook;161685 wrote: Can you drill some holes and blow insulation in?
as an insulation contractor ill chime in- probably not. most blowers would fill the cavity so full it would push the exterior aluminum "skin" out between the studs. plus with all the vibration and wind pressure it would settle and some would escape. insulation dust would likely be a problem too. i would use high density foam board and spray foam for the cracks and corners.

Meat

rugbymook;161685 wrote: Can you drill some holes and blow insulation in?
I was worried about not only the insulation packing down but also the R-value degrading due to absorbed moisture.

I wanted to put in a foil backed closed cell foam board.

Meat

meanstrk;161686 wrote: Meat,
Like he said, you gotta pull it away and get rid of the staples. I would use quality screws putting it back together though, and if it's thin stuff, consider upgrading to heavier plywood so you can hang crap on the walls.

I gotta pull my stuff out to trace a wiring short myself, so I am insulating at the same time as well.
It looks like they use staples to tie non-structural pieces together and screws for more structural pieces. But, on the edges of the ceiling pieces, for example, I can see ~3/8" plywood beyond the width of the thin (1/8") ceiling panels. But, when I can't tell if that 3/8" plywood extends all the way across or not.

It seems like the only way to find out how everything is put in there is to cut the pieces that hold in the top corners (aluminum pieces that run the length of the interior ceiling) and rip out the ceiling panels and then make new ones. ARGH!!

Meat

sobottka;161690 wrote: as an insulation contractor ill chime in- probably not. most blowers would fill the cavity so full it would push the exterior aluminum "skin" out between the studs. plus with all the vibration and wind pressure it would settle and some would escape. insulation dust would likely be a problem too. i would use high density foam board and spray foam for the cracks and corners.
Thanks, that definitely rules that out.

rugbymook

Control Rider
Race Director
Thanks for the info.

I was curious since I just blew some insulation above the garage ceiling (and living room floor) of my townhouse.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Sounds like a pain in the ass. Mines not insulated and I don't have any problem keeping it warm with a pair of 1500w heaters and it's 8.5x20. The AC works fine too since it's silver. At this point I got so much crap in there I wouldn't want to pull anything apart. It would be easier to start over

Meat

slow_honda;161709 wrote: Sounds like a pain in the ass. Mines not insulated and I don't have any problem keeping it warm with a pair of 1500w heaters and it's 8.5x20. The AC works fine too since it's silver. At this point I got so much crap in there I wouldn't want to pull anything apart. It would be easier to start over
I am actually considering just putting in another a/c unit and running 2 of them. I have a 12,000 BTU portable (can't put one on top and get it in my garage) a/c unit in there now and it doesn't get it cool enough, early enough in the summer.

dbakerpa

If it is like mine was I had to pry a piece of 1/4 inch off the seams. I took the top peice of plywood off and worked the foil backed insulation between the metal studs. For the ceiling I taped in the foam board and covered it with FRP ( a plastic board ). The panel gaps were covered with 20 gauge aluminum strips. I wired it for 110AC first.