Have I been practicing wrong?

barry38

IMHO the first guy was good from the hips down. His whole upper body was "twisted" and too upright. Should have been chest closer to the tank and upper body much more relaxed.

The guy on the blue R1 was much better.

You head should be in a position that if you had the mirrors on the bike, you would be looking at yourself and if you look straight down, you see your hand on the grip.

motogypsy

the positioning of the first guy in the video...is the same positioning that Jason Pridmore was teaching last year when i took his STAR riding school...keeping your head more centered...
I had been taught the head were the mirror is method myself...so i tried the more centered method for a couple of days and couldn't make it work...it felt as though i had to lean the bike way more to make the same corner at the same speed....but i watched jason and all his coaches ride like this...at a pace that i couldn't even hope to achieve if i was riding on Ben Spies new world superbike.....speaking of Spies...i asked the question about guys like him who ride more with there head on the ground and there response was that it works for some people..and you should do whatever works best for you...but that it is unneccassary at the speed 90% of us ride at....they were real good about saying that what is right for one guys is not always right for another....sooooo........
i have continued to ride with my head out were the mirror should be...I feel i can corner faster and make slight adjustments mid corner by simply dropping or raising my head...(thanx wink)....
anyway that's my story and i am sticking to it.....
but i would be curious to get a weigh in from some fast guys...since more schools seem to be teaching more the direction of the video.....

peace...

duane

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
barry38;37709 wrote: IMHO the first guy was good from the hips down. His whole upper body was "twisted" and too upright.
That's what I was thinking......

barry38;37709 wrote:
You head should be in a position that if you had the mirrors on the bike, you would be looking at yourself and if you look straight down, you see your hand on the grip.
and this is what I have been doing......well....trying to do

ktuso27

I was taught to keep my hips in line with my shoulder. So if your but is off the seat your shoulder should go out as well and also your head.

barry38

Like most things, body position is a very personal thing. What works for one person isn't always going to work for someone else. I am no way implying that what I do is the only way to do it. All I know is it's what Freddie Spencer teaches, and once I got my body position figured out I went for B group to A in 5 events. Would have been 4 but I told Lenny there was no way I was letting him bump me to A!!!!!!!! Jamie James school teaches pretty much the same thing.

One other comment on the video. The first rider also "centers" himself to quickly/soon when finishing the corner. Watch how the suspension bounces while when is still turning. At this point you should be hard on the gas and any unwanted suspension inputs can cause you serious issue right there.

jimgl3

my poor body position was the first thing pointed out to me upon riding with NESBA. "crossed up" they called it. well, i became defensive (inwardly, not outwardly) and started finding photos of all time greats like Randy Mamola, Miguel Duhamel, Kevin Schwantz, Troy Bayliss, to name a few, and they were all "crossed up". i also noticed in other shots of them that they sometimes hang off the NESBA way. so i changed to watching video and here's what i have found. professionals as a general rule (Ben Spies excepted) only move in and down once their knee touches down. they pop up, ass off, knee out and turn in head over the tank and then once the knee hits they lean in and down.

this is my observation. right or wrong.

gkotlin

Not one method works for everyone. Body position is dynamic. To say you need to look like a certain rider or ideal form isn't an absolute rule. Photos can also be misleading when looking at body position. At the turn in point, the butt is off the seat, the knee is out and your ready to turn. Then you turn in , knee all the way back and then bring it in as needed to just skim above the ground. Your looking through the corner and getting the bike down to the apex. Once your at the apex, your then sighting to your exit point. You're then adjusting your body position as the bike finishes the turn. As your standing the bike up to allow yourself to add throttle, you try to keep your body in the same position. Which means you'll be off the bike more and more as you push the bike up and add throttle. You'll be at the most extreme body position in a photo after the apex of a turn. As the bike finishes the turn, your looking down track,and bringing your body behind the windscreen if your on a long straight. You might leave your butt off the seat but bring your head and chest behind the windscreen if you'll be turning the same direction soon. It's fluid and dynamic. It also changes with pace. The faster you go, the more body positioning you'll use. When tires are cold or if it's raining, I use max body position to keep the bike as upright as possible. Thats how I was taught. But you'll have to try what works best for you, your bike, body composition and comfort level.

Start with getting the butt in the right place. Get your foot positioned well and your knee pull outward and back. This is the first step to work on. Getting your feet and butt in the right places helps you weight the inside peg and reduce lean angle. The upper body can be added later to fine tune. Upper body motions will be relative to your pace, your need to add throttle and fine tuning how and when you'll hit your apex.

Hitting the apex of a corner is essential. But if you turned in early and are pointed the wrong direction at the apex, you'll either run wide or have to wait to add power on the exit as the bike finishes turning.

arhale09

I think there is a rule that, if you are gonna have a thread about body positioning, there has to be at least one pic of Noriyuki Haga

610x.jpg

Cole

Amen to that! Haga's great fun to watch.

Big +1 to what Greg wrote. That first guy in the video wasn't even close to his apex.

... and Duane, Wink taught me the same thing about my cranium. Has helped me out a bunch.

motogypsy

jsin...most excellent article thank you

but the pics of the Haga girls is by far my favorite post in this thread...i just keep "reading" it over and over...trying to take it all in......

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
"Would have been 4 but I told Lenny there was no way I was letting him bump me to A!!!!!!!!"

Hey Barry, I remember that !:)
You would have done just fine with 4!!!!!!!:adore: