Headers Turning Red

devildogae

I started up my wifes kawi 250R yesterday and let it idle for a bit since it's been sitting for a while. I noticed when I came back that the header pipes comming off the engine had turned bright red. Anyone know why this would happen?

andykurz

I would guess that your exhaust system is plugged. Take it apart and check. A mouse may have made a nest in there or something. Before you do that, make sure exhaust is flowing freely from the muffler, try to rev it up, etc. If it is plugged, it probably won't run very well.

If nothing is in the exhaust, pull the plugs and examine them to see if there are signs of a lean/rich condition. Methinks lean is far more likely here. Are they red across the board, or just one cylinder?

EDIT: And no, it is not normal for headers to be red at idle.

devildogae

andykurz;296387 wrote: I would guess that your exhaust system is plugged. Take it apart and check. A mouse may have made a nest in there or something. Before you do that, make sure exhaust is flowing freely from the muffler, try to rev it up, etc. If it is plugged, it probably won't run very well.

If nothing is in the exhaust, pull the plugs and examine them to see if there are signs of a lean/rich condition. Methinks lean is far more likely here. Are they red across the board, or just one cylinder?

EDIT: And no, it is not normal for headers to be red at idle.
It was both, and I may have left the choke on for to long I'm thinking. But the fan wasn't running either. I would think it its so hot to get the headers red, the engine would be overheating possibly?

andykurz

Well you have very localized heat in the exhaust system, and the cooling fans only come on when your coolant reaches a certain temp. Coolant only flows through the head, but not your headers. So no, the engine wasn't technically overheating.

Leaving the choke on would not cause this. I'm still guessing something crawled in your muffler.

windblown

Lean idle = red hot headers. In carbed bikes like your wifes this is often caused by the pilot jets starting to plug.

The exhaust blockage as mentioned above is certainly a possibility as well since blocked exhaust = not enough fresh fuel charge being brought into the cylinders = lean condition.

Either way it sounds like a little digging into it is in order.

devildogae

Looks like another project in the works then! I will test to see if it does this again, maybe ride it for a few.

JVance

I really don't think this is a big deal. I have noticed it on one of my bikes before, earlier fuel injected GSXR600. I may start my 08 in the next few days and let it run a bit and see what happens. I'm guessing they will glow a bit.

mark1200

maybe try running some carb cleaner through it. just pore it in the tank, it cleans while u ride. can't hurt