Hearing Protection

upnadam

No shit. I could never get a good fit with the foam plugs (you know one ear plug seats well and the other doesn't and you get this weird mono sound) so I quit messing with them. My buddies Dan and Daryl convinced me to try the disposables they had. I did, they worked great and no bull, without the wind noise and the pipe screaming I averaged 5 seconds a lap faster. Been wearing them ever since needless to say. If I could put three sets in my ears I could keep the CR's in sight! :D

geekmug

Doolicous;167212 wrote: I like the custom earplugs. I rode without for several years. As I started getting more tracktime with NESBA, I noticed the ringing ears on the ride home. So, influenced by John Allen, I had earplugs made at the local ear, nose, and throat Docs! $75. and I cant hardly ride without them.
I have been using these: Radians Custom Molded Ear Plugs (NRR 26). They are not as nice as a professionally-made ear plug, but they are a helluva lot cheaper ($11). They make me feel less bad about losing one or dropping one on the ground. The biggest disadvantage compared to a pro pair is that because of the way you make these they end up with little pores that can collect ear funk, so be sure to wash them from time-to-time. And, then you can throw them away several times a year and still be cheaper than having a pro do it.

Also, I always have a box of foam plugs in my trailer in case I can't find my nice plugs. Nothing is worse than going out on track without plugs in!

hank

ScottG;167145 wrote: What are you using? Likes/Dislikes? Recommendations? Do you use different plugs for the track vs. the street? Custom or off-the-shelf?
Scott
If you go to any of the Motorcycle Shows currently making the rounds they often have somebody there making custom plugs right there.

ScottG;167145 wrote:

I read the thread about listening to music while riding. Do you use regular ear buds or something else?
Scott
:doh: There are several threads about this: http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=16470&highlight=music

alocker

ScottG;167300 wrote: Do you remember the vendor?
This is the vendor and the style I purchased. There was a $20.00 show discount so it was $65.00 OTD.

http://bigearinc.com/Products/BE-SP.aspx

I used foam for a few years and I had issues with one ear. It would only seat properly every other try. So before every session I was f'ing around with the stupid earplugs instead of sipping Redbull with my feet up. The customs just pop right in.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
hank;167321 wrote: If you go to any of the Motorcycle Shows currently making the rounds they often have somebody there making custom plugs right there.
Yup, that's where I had mine done. Try and find a booth where an audiologist is making the ear plugs. I got the best fit that way. Although it's not perfect for me, it was a better fit than the previous pair of customs I had.

JBowen33

Wow I'm surprised so many people wear ear protection. Never really thought about it when I was out there.

ScottG

I ended up getting mine at the IMS in DC. They work great and I can't ride without them. I can still hear all the important stuff and I'm much less fatigued after riding. They also worked great when I was dealing with systems in the data center as well as mowing the lawn or working with power/air tools. they are easy to get in, seal perfectly and don't come out on their own. I can wear mine all day and barely notice they are there. They don't exert pressure on your ear that the foam/christmas tree plugs do.

I got mine from the EAR Inc/Insta-Mold booth at the IMS. I have to give them kudos I brought them to the IMS last year and they inspected and resealed them for free. I dropped them off and expected to pay some kind of nominal fee for the resealing. They handed me the plugs and sent me on my way. They once again fit like they did when new. Best $70 I've spent.

Scott

Kruizen

Control Rider
Anyone have a set made at the audiologist in SAMs club? I think they are about $50 for custom ear plugs.

Domiken

I use these
5042869235.jpg

They are much softer than the traditional foam plugs and they work like a charm. The regular foam plugs that I also use hurt my ears afte ra while. $5 for 10 pairs, cant go wrong, especially when your track buddies snore like crazy.

Kordyte;167229 wrote: Is it really that loud from wind? It's never bothered me and I always thought the people I saw putting in plugs just have loud bikes.

I literally don't perceive significant levels of noise when I'm on the track at all. Either my helmet fits my head in such a way that it kind of works as earplugs (Scorpion EXO700, FWIW), or the adrenaline of the track makes me ignore the noise. I honestly have no idea which it is. I should probably pay attention to this next time go out next season!

*I'm not just a young dummy about hearing protection... my brother is hearing impaired from birth so my family is aware of this sort of stuff. I always use earplugs when shooting any of my guns, and used to use them when I played/practiced drums, too.
Trust us Old Men (and Women too), you will notice a difference.

The TZ isnt very loud when you are watching it go by on the track. Riding it is another story. Its the loudest bike I have ever ridden and completely drains me menatlly if I ride without ear plugs. My other 2T buddies argee. Their bikes arn't loud going by, but being on them is a different story.

One session I was completely spent afterwards and thinking why am I so tired and why is the TZ so LOUD!? Pulled my helmet off and had no ear plugs to pull from my ears :rolleyes:

BZ