Heat cycles

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
Couple a Questions:

if you have the pressures set too high, will the tire heat quickly?

We run 20 minutes on, 40 minutes off. From your warmer procedure, would it not make sense to get the warmers on and keep them on high (170 degrees)?

DUNLOP-RTS;186289 wrote:
Ever notice that the chatter about heat cycles started about the time tire warmers became cheaper and more readily available? Do you think there could be an urban legend that started because of this increased supply? :notsure:
and, no offense, but your same underlying hint can be applied to your arguement as well.........:popcorn:

tittys04

JRA;186428 wrote: All tires, including slicks have tread rubber. In an effort to help out here I'll repeat exactly what I've heard Steve say more than once... If you have a chance you should attend one of the tire talks he's been giving in the Southeast this year. He's covered all of these questions with very thorough explanations.

As you use your tires you wear away the tread rubber. As you wear away the rubber the tire has progressively less grip and it runs cooler. The more rubber you have the more grip you will have and the more heat you will generate in the tire. They could make tread rubber much thicker and get a lot more grip, but the trade off would be the tire would overheat quickly and blister. The thickness they build is the sweet spot between too much and not enough.

You could take a new tire and heat it on warmers and then let it cool. You could do this once an hour many times over. What you would have in the end is still a new tire that would perform almost as well (if not just as well) as tire with no heat cycles. This would be true for the vast majority of riders. A professional rider might be able to test both and determine that one tire had more grip than the other, but most of us wouldn't know the difference.

I have a feeling this forum is going to generate a whole lot of really good information that will be easily accessible to all. I also think somebody is going to be really busy typing though. :D
He said all of that almost to a T. The reason it heats up more when the rubber is thicker is because of friction... not friction between the tire and pavement, but within the tire itself. An analogy he used was this... think about when you fold a piece of paper back and forth continuously. You can do it a hundred times and never feel any heat generated. Now take a piece of 1/2" solid lead. Since lead is very malleable, you can bend it back and forth is the same manner, and the results would be veryyy different, the lead would generate a ton of heat. That heat is from the friction of the mollecules in the lead rubbing against each other.

tittys04

lemondrop;186658 wrote: if you have the pressures set too high, will the tire heat quickly?
If you are talking about while running them, then no. Like I just posted, the heat is caused from the tire flex. The higher the pressure, the less tire flex, which equals a lower temperature, which will more than likely cause cold tear.

If you are talking about while on the warmers... well, I don't think that matters.

S

shane002

Heat cycles

For horse owners with mares, heat cycles in mares is an entirely different element of equine management.

Heat causes cross-linking of the rubber molecules. I have some tires in my garage that feel like they are made of plastic, not rubber. I suspect they came from someone that used tire warmers and they overheated the rubber multiple times. Careful with your toys, folks.

madriders86

tittys04;186755 wrote: If you are talking about while running them, then no. Like I just posted, the heat is caused from the tire flex. The higher the pressure, the less tire flex, which equals a lower temperature, which will more than likely cause cold tear.

If you are talking about while on the warmers... well, I don't think that matters.
Warming your tires on the warmers would actually heat them quicker, for the simple fact that there is more pressure already and more air to heat :)

There was a video somewhere of a pirelli rep addressing this. He was talking about adding a couple psi to help the tire warm up faster/achieve a higher temperature. The opposite of the conventional wisdom about flexing. I guess it can work either way depending on the tire/conditions/etc

Meat

I'm with daddy on this one. Lower pressure causes more flexure which in simple terms heats the tire.