Hello from Lititz PA

EO157

Hey gang, looking forward to getting some track time in 2015. I come to the RR stuff from a ton of years racing mx and am really stoked to make the transition to the tarmac.

Joined N2 after happening upon a fella named Will during a fuel stop on my S1000RR. It was nice to meet you and I appreciated the invite and info on N2.

Myers

Control Rider
Right down the road!!! Welcome aboard! Start making plans to hit up the track and make some QSL bike nights next year :)

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
Sorry your intro to N2 was Will.....

You're in a great area for track riding. You're within a few hrs of some of the best east coast tracks and there are many of us who are locals. Like Dave said, he is in Manheim, Will and I are just down the road in Lancaster. Many other members are lurking around here as well. If there is anything you need or have ? About, just give any one of us a shout.

EO157

Thanks John..

Could use some advice on if I should risk wadding up my shiny new BMW or leave it in the garage and search for a less expensive track ready setup. Any insight on this dilemma? I have read a bunch on the subject and seems everyone has a different opinion. Appreciate everyone's thoughts..

Also a few posts up there is mention of a QSL bike night? Not familiar with that?

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
If you are not prepared to bring your bike home is a wad of twisted metal and plastic, you need to find a different hobby or a different bike. A lot of riders have their street bike and their track bike. I had both at one point and just didn't ride on the street any longer to warrant having the street bike. The BMW is a wonderful tool at the track, but you have to be prepared for it to crash. I say this to every single motorcycle rider I meet, "It is not if, but when you will crash!" We are all going to hit the ground eventually. I personally have a bike that is not insured, or registered. If I happen to crash and it is unrepairable, then I will take the loss and move on.

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Get Rider Insurance. They cover track incidents. I am in the process of a claim on my brand new (well, was brand new) 2014 ZX10R. Just got the check today. So for $500 deductible, they bought me a new bike.

Edit: they only cover stock parts.

Control Rider
N2
EO157,
Welcome to N2! I'm the guy that stopped by when you were at the gas station on your new bike.. glad you found your way over to the forum.
Like everyone else has said, you're in a great location for track days and a bunch of us live right around the corner from you. I know you also said you ride dirt and a bunch of us usually get together during the off season to to get dirty (we are all mostly terrible on dirtbikes, but it's fun).

I'll weigh in on your bike dilemma a bit: Many of us started on the track with our street bikes. I think it's rare to see someone willing to go purchase a track specific bike right away. Usually it only takes one day to realize your addicted, and then the search for a dedicated bike begins. For me, I rode a dual purpose (street/track) bike my entire first season with out issue.
You may also want to check with your insurance, unless they have a specific clause against track days, any damage is usually covered. Track days are usually viewed as advanced rider training and as long as you're not racing you might be ok...

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Will,
The ZX10R was the second bike i bought brand new for track use. And I'm telling you, Rider Insurance is the shit. I was completely honest about what happened. And no pushback.