Hello....My name is

squirrel211

Mike, but you can call me Squirrel. This will be my third rodeo with NESBA, so I figured I would introduce myself. I am very friendly, and should have plenty of water/beverages at Main on Monday. I have a tan tent, a white and red 2007 R6 #211, and curly hair so I shouldn't be hard to miss!

Stats:
Times on the track = 12
Times at Summit = 6
Best lap at Summit = 1:23 :eek:
Race In = CCS
Age = 30 :(
Favorite Food = Meatloaf :cool:
Favorite Band = O.A.R.
Favorite Track (so far) = Carolina Motorsports (VIR and NJMP are later this year)

I have met a couple of members (Bill and Jason) and a couple of CR's; Barry obviously, and I introduced myself to about 4 of you guys on 5/2 but I don't remember names. One of you was parked right across from the tech shed and had a Green ZX-10, and the other 3 of you were parked a lane down, all together. Watch for me this time, because none of you remembered seeing me on the track even though I passed one of guys twice in the same session.....:dunno:

JayhawkInDC

Hi Squirrel,
I am new to MA, and won't be at Main on Monday, but hopefully there will be other opps. to meet.

Since I am new, although I have nagged you all with posts recently I shall follow his model!

I am Darrell, no nickname...sorry! I started riding earlier this year, and have done 7 trackdays at Heartland Park, Putnam, and 3 sessions at Road America. I just got the I-bump a couple weeks ago...I am very excited to ride I this weekend!

Thanks to all of you that have PM'd me and offered help of some variety, and I look forward to becoming a part of the NESBA MA fam!

Katie785

You should try racing WERA too.. there's a tight group of us Nesbians that always have a blast.. then get to hang out at all the Nesba days.. its awesome!!

JayhawkInDC

Don't worry...racing is in my future! I just have to get some more speed....perhaps you can help with that on Saturday!!!

squirrel211

The guys I race with all race CCS, so I'll probably be sticking to that series. If only I had enough money to do both!!! The people under CCS's employ are all super excellent people to deal with, have been accomodating to me at all times, and like I said, my "team" races in it.

I may get to do some WERA Endurance stuff next year, I'm still trying to work that out......

rk97

so about this whole racing thing...

1) how do you all afford it? (bike, tires, gas)

&

2) does it kill you on insurance? Maybe I'm the only 25-yr-old looking at life insurance and income insurance, but racing would bury me...

I mean, I COULD afford to race/track ride all the time, but it would mean moving back into my parents' house, breaking up with my girlfriend (admit it Katie - girlfriends are expensive!), and probably eliminating most of my 401k contributions lol.

squirrel211

Afford it??? HAHAHAHA!!!
Seriously, I skimp on everything except for tires. My bike was bone stock until last week when I finally bought springs and valves for my forks, and bought a used exhaust.
Also Bob Michael who owns B&E Motorsports sponsors myself and 3 other racers, and I can't thank him enough for all of the help he has given us. He is a fantastic guy, and was 4th overall in the CCS Expert class last year so he's really fast too!!!!

Katie, come play with us in CCS..... you might like it!!! No knocks to WERA, but CCS's class structure offers 3 additional races for us to be competitive in on R6's. Come out Sept 6th-7th, I'll introduce you to the boys and the people who run CCS. Are you going to be CR-ing on Monday???

Katie785

Nah, i cant get weekdays off too often.. I'll be CRing sat sun though... need to get myself up to speed - Summit nationals are NEXT WEEKEND.. ahh..
I am in the same situation with you and racing in the 2 clubs... i can only afford 1 lol.. and i have alot of classes i can run - i do well in the 750 and 1000 cc classes too.. this also allows me to run 2 practice classes in the morning so i get 4 -6 sessions in the morning alone.. then 2-6 races.. not bad for about the cost of 2 track days.. .if i want, i figured out the way to run 4 practices and 2 races for $150.. also, not bad..

And NO - we cant really afford it... Girl friend are expensive - esp those who ride and race too lol... At least i make good money and pay for almost everything myself ( i do owe drew for a set of tires i used)..
I dont buy clothes, go shopping, or anything like that... i own decent car but also make payments on it.. we live in an apartment in a house, which isnt bad but if only one of us stopped we could afford a house of our own..
- we camp at every event... have only a pick up and cheap open trailer.. both our bikes are bone stock
- i sold my nicer 05 636 for alot, bought a wrecked r6 and that's the only way i can afford to own a newer bike.. everything goes to riding/racing (and now bicycling) and i'm still paying off my entry fees from the past 2 years.. we managed to go an entire season with not one brand new tire last year.... this year the only brand new tire i ran was from Drew..
its fun - but we make a hell of alot of sacrifices to do it..

rk97

so what you're saying is I need to find a girlfriend who makes enough money to buy her own house. got it.

JayhawkInDC

When I started this little obsession I thought it would be cool to have a girlfriend that rode too, but then I thought about it for 3 minutes and realized the repercussions of such a decision. Now I am in search of that perfect girl that will accept the hobby, support it in spirit, come watch once in a while, come visit me in the hospital should that ever occur, and not gripe when the suggestion of new toys and long road trips comes up.....

....I have prepared myself for a long bout with singleness!

Brian Laws

Squirrel, I will be CRing at Summit on Monday, so please come by and introduce yourself. You sound like a fun guy and its always more fun to have a couple folks out there to mix it up with. We should definitely turn some laps together.

squirrel211

Brian Laws;5480 wrote: Squirrel, I will be CRing at Summit on Monday, so please come by and introduce yourself. You sound like a fun guy and its always more fun to have a couple folks out there to mix it up with. We should definitely turn some laps together.
Consider it done bro!!! And tell me if I'm not getting my body off the bike enough!!! Evidently being completely un-flexible ties me to the bike moreso than most....

JayhawkInDC

Katie, if you are CRing in I group on Sat. I will look for you....I am always in need of help! I just got my I-bump last time out, and have the A-group hill to climb! Next season is the start of my (very mediocre) racing career!

Katie785

congrats on the bump! If i am in I (doubt it - usually do b) i will look for you - either way make sure you introduce yourself!