Hello NESBA

Ruxster

I have been spending some time on this forum learning about this organization and killing time waiting for the winter season to pass us by. This year will be my second season with NESBA but have been enjoying track days for several years with other organizers that I won't care to mention. I learned a lot over the years but I feel that NESBA can teach me a whole lot more. My first couple of track days with NESBA was a fantastic experience which has me eagerly waiting for this season.

I do have a one question. I currently run the I group but plan on signing up for Barber for the first time. Having never been to this track I think it would be best to start in the B group, learn the track and then work my way up. Is there a way to chose which group to run in when you sign-up for an event? Thanks in advance!

twin ty

Welcome to the club. Feel free to ask any questions (bike/track related) you like here. Someone will answer it. As far as Barber is concerned, if you bump yourself down to B you will have to get reevaluated to get back to I. Line up near the back, learn the track for a few sessions and have at it!

Ty

Jonsie#697

Barber is a great track...Lots of elevation changes..Not a real top speed kind of track though...Very nice grounds and facilities....There are some great you-tube vids to study.........

Meat

I think Barber is easy to get around but very hard to get around quickly. The track is so wide and smooth that if you make an error you can usually stay on the track, as long as you aren't at 100%.

On a 600, you may have a pretty difficult time passing in B-Group since passing is only allowed in the straights. I would hate to see a rolling road block in I-group, but if you are at least a mid-pack Intermediate in another track day org. then I would sign up for Intermediate with nesba. If you are any slower than that I would go with B-group since nesba B and I groups seem to be a good bit faster than other track day organizations' B and I groups..

dlockhart5x

Welcome to the funhouse.
If you can, get over to the Bash this coming weekend and re meet all your track friends.
I 'm sure some of the Indiana contingent are coming up. (I can think of a CR or 2 that are)
re learning Barber
1) not that hard
2)catch a tow from another rider
3)being able to figure out new tracks is a skill in itself and worth learning.

Ruxster

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Ty,
I would definitely line up at the back. I’ll head out and concentrate on the basics, smooth, predictable, and holding my line just the simple things to get me comfortable and gain confidence. Maybe I just might get a couple laps in before all you veterans blow on by.

Jonsie,
Your right! lots of great videos on Youtube. Already have a couple favorites that I’m learning from.

Meat,
I agree, there’s no doubt that the NESBA I group is not only faster but better skilled than the other I groups that I have done track days with. I don’t want to become that road block either while learning Barber for the first time. So it’s always good to hear the experiences and suggestions from others.

Dlock,
I wish I could make the Bash. Great way to meet new friends and start off the new season but this years schedule is tight. Thanks anyway.

headstart

I agree with Mike, don't bump yourself down. If you were bumped up to I already then you earned it and you just need to learn the track and it is normal that you will be slower while you learn it.

Just ride good, smooth, consistent and predictable lines and the faster I guys can go around you. If they can't get around you on a track as wide as Barber with I passing rules, then it's not your problem.

If you need to go to B group the CR's will talk to you and move you.

Have fun, I wish I could go.

rk97

Others (maybe on the old board?) have had the same concern, and the answer from CR's has always been something to the extent of, "we wouldn't have bumped you to "I" if we didn't think you would be ok on ANY track." They have faith in your skills - so should you.

If you're still concerned, a 30 second conversation with a CR after the riders' meeting should solve everything. I don't think any of them would be upset with you giving them a heads up like "hey - i've never been to this track. Can you spend the first 4 or 5 laps showing me a good line, so I don't hold everyone up trying to find it on my own for the first 2 sessions?"

I bet you're not the only one in "I" who hasn't been there before :)

Ruxster

Its official, I’m signed up for Barber and will be looking forward to a fantastic weekend!
I appreciate the comments and will definitely solicit the control riders for advice and a tow around the track.

Meat

Ruxster;34708 wrote: Its official, I’m signed up for Barber and will be looking forward to a fantastic weekend!
I appreciate the comments and will definitely solicit the control riders for advice and a tow around the track.
That is awesome!! I won't be there at the end of the month but hope to see you next time. Have a great time and just ask a CR for help. They really are pretty cool.