Hello steel knee, Good by track.

Folly1

I will not be riding any more track days. After 68 days with Nesba and another 25 +/- with other providers, this is a hard post to type. ( You are thinking, "all that track time, how could he be so slow?").

I have a new knee that is working great. It has put my life back on track and allowed me to do a lot of things, like walking, that was almost impossible before. Walking is important to me.

This process has involved a lot of pain over a long period of time. I am not whining as I am thrilled with the result, but I am feeling fragile for the first time in my life. I would rather have regained the "bullet proof" attitude, but that does not seem to be returning.

I have had a great time with Nesba and met a lot of very wonderful people. Several years ago I congratulated Bob B. on the quality of his members. I still feel that way. I hope to keep in touch with many of the friends I have made over the last 5 years. I will certainly keep you in my thoughts and cherish the lessons that I have learned from you.

My 06 749s is for sale ( it has 3000 miles, penske triple, woodcraft, spare wheel and can be street legal with 10 minutes of work ). Painted by Drew it is a show stopper, but does suck as a street bike. Call me if you are seriously interested. 843-364-1011

B.

jcrich

Dang Ben sorry to hear this, but am glad you are healthy again and feeling better. Don't be a stranger.

iamnotgreg

Keep you're head up
My knee and lower right leg are both made of titanium and I'm still out there
I just take right turns a bit slower than lefts now :)

Congrats on the new aftermarket bits!

No reason to give it up! I'm a PT who works with way too many total knees every day. (We reportedly have had the 3rd best outcomes in the country). Hopefully, your PT had you doing functional exercises immediately.

Most total knees get discouraged and feel like they'll never get back to normal life. It will get better. The swelling and pain will last a year, slowly subside, but still rear their heads once in a while. In five years, you won't know you had it done.

Talk to Mike Lockhardt (hotwings on here, although I'm not sure why that's his handle.....never seen him make hotwings in 3 years). He had a hemi done and is back to riding.

Although this sport demands a lot on the knee, it is non-impact (if you stay on the bike). Our doc would tell you it's fine, just don't crash.

Start doing a ton of squats, lunges (sideways), single leg balance, etc.

And get your butt back out there.

Perlzuki

Ben,
It is always big fun when you were at the track. We all make decisions that we feel is right for us! Everytime we hung out at thetrack I learned something cool from you. Some of it was even important:doh: Hope you & Chris's trip to Indy went well & you know I was pissed that I could not make it this year, but plan on it for next year. Keep in touch my friend!
By the way, you made the best breakfast ever at many tdays I was at & those sandwiches & your friendship were greatly appreciated!

Mark
SE CR #249

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Ben! Bummer, but you've got to do what's best for you. I'm glad I finally got to meet you at VIR this past May! Keep in touch!

HighWay

Ben,

You will be missed at the track.

I had a great trip to Indy and I'm patiently waiting for the next mountain trip.

Chris

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
jaren warren;149145 wrote: No reason to give it up! I'm a PT who works with way too many total knees every day. (We reportedly have had the 3rd best outcomes in the country). Hopefully, your PT had you doing functional exercises immediately.

Most total knees get discouraged and feel like they'll never get back to normal life. It will get better. The swelling and pain will last a year, slowly subside, but still rear their heads once in a while. In five years, you won't know you had it done.

Talk to Mike Lockhardt (hotwings on here, although I'm not sure why that's his handle.....never seen him make hotwings in 3 years). He had a hemi done and is back to riding.

Although this sport demands a lot on the knee, it is non-impact (if you stay on the bike). Our doc would tell you it's fine, just don't crash.

Start doing a ton of squats, lunges (sideways), single leg balance, etc.

And get your butt back out there.
:agree: Especially now...This sport does have an impact on your meniscus de to anterior translatory forces...however, you no longer have one of those! so you should be good to go!

Meat

Very sad to hear but totally understandable. You are such a fantastic person to see and visit with in the paddock. You will really be missed by Courtney and me.

rk97

Folly Beach, eh? I'm keeping that phone number in my blackberry for next summer when I'm there.

Sorry to see you go, Ben. Hopefully in a year or two, the knee will be "bullet-proof" again, and you'll be back at the track. Stranger things have happened :)

smack28752

Dang Ben, I hate to hear that. We have spoken several times at the track and last year at VIR, I followed you around for a session (Mike Ruhe even got some footage of that).

How about street riding, is that still on your plate? If so, come up to western NC and we can explore the area at a somewhat less torrid pace.

Best of luck to you and hope to see you around.

Steve Mc.

JohnS

Hi Ben,

I know it has been a few years since I have seen you but you are a class act. I know you are doing what you feel is best.

I really hope to get back down there for a vaca one of these days and you will be one of the first people I call to grab a beer.

John

moonbeam

Say it ain't so. :(
Ben it has been a pleasure talking to you at trackday's. You may not know this but I remember it like it was yesterday. My friend told me to come check out this thing called NESBA , so I did I went to VIR (South) on a Sunday about 5 years ago I found my friend in the pits , and he was with his friend Jeff . They where pitted with some guy name Ben and his buddy. Thats the day I decided to start riding on the track. I have enjoyed seeing you at the diffrent events , I will miss you . Please stay in touch , and let us know how you are doing. I hope the knee gets better and we see you riding again.

moonbeam

P.S.
thanks for the heat tape.

hotwings

Modern medicine is wonderful... I've been cut on more times ( 12 or 13) i lost count. My left knee (see avitar) hasn't felt this good in years.

Get to the gym, work with your PT guy/gal and trust me... next season will be fun.

DFlowe

Ben,
It's good to hear you're healing nicely, but sad to hear you won't be riding with us anymore. You're one of those guys that is truly a "class act".

I also owe you for many biscuits on many mornings at track days across the Southeast. I have certainly enjoyed you hospitality and I'll never be able to repay you.

By the way, if I ever need an attorney in Charleston, I'm still going to give you a call.

dbakerpa

Good luck. If you every get that "bulletproof" back. We'll see you out there.
You may want to hold on to the bike. I have seen a couple total joint patients with replaced hips and knees that come to the track one is an excellent racer.