Hello with a few questions...

striker3034

Hi, my name is Tony. Looking forward to my first track day at CMP on the 28th (hopefully it stops raining for one day down here). I've been street riding for the past 7 years, so I have a lot of bad habits to fix I'm sure. I'll be riding a red daytona 675. I had a few random questions:

-I looked under the tech inspection in the manual but it's still a little fuzzy, can I ride without side fairings? I just installed frame sliders and I don't want to cut my plastic just yet.
-Also, I have the leather suit that came with the bike and the knee sliders seem to be a cheaper durable plastic, do I need to buy heavy duty sliders for my first day?

Any tips for a first timer that isn't covered in the manual would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep lurking around the forums to take in any info I can in the mean time.

devildogae

I don't know about the fairings, but you don't need quality knee sliders your first day, most people don't get a knee down their first time anyways. Frame sliders can catch the curb if you go down and will tumble your bike.

Take lots of water. If you have a canopy to get out of the sun, bring it, chairs, food, and if you can get power a fan. Bring extra gas! Bring a note pad and take notes. Work on one thing at a time. Learn from the CR lines and ask questions! Don't ride beyond your means. Go talk to people, esp your pit neighbors. Get there the day before or early, give yourself plenty of time. And most important, have FUN!!

Welcome to the madness. I don't believe fairings are required. Sliders (IMHO) will do more good than harm. Water + electrolyte drink of choice. Research tire pressure settings for your bike+tire brand. The advice about "ride your ride" is just as valuable on the track as it is on the street. I tried to go too fast my first track day and have a nice collarbone protruding to remind me. I'm just a lower-tier B group so my advice is not backed up by the experience of a lot of the others on this forum, but this is what I tell myself: First session out ride like you are going somewhere and don't know the way. Steady pace, stay on the race line as best you can, be polite with the faster folks. Second session you should have the track layout memorized, maybe ride like you are late for a very important meeting. Try to be smooth and speed will follow. Last thing, go practice full panic stopping. It might spare you a funny looking collarbone:doh:

matt2212

striker3034;281503 wrote: Hi, my name is Tony. Looking forward to my first track day at CMP on the 28th (hopefully it stops raining for one day down here). I've been street riding for the past 7 years, so I have a lot of bad habits to fix I'm sure. I'll be riding a red daytona 675. I had a few random questions:.
-I looked under the tech inspection in the manual but it's still a little fuzzy, can I ride without side fairings? I just installed frame sliders and I don't want to cut my plastic just yet. .
As everyone else said you sure can

[/QUOTE]-Also, I have the leather suit that came with the bike and the knee sliders seem to be a cheaper durable plastic, do I need to buy heavy duty sliders for my first day? .
Nope, run what you got

[/QUOTE]Any tips for a first timer that isn't covered in the manual would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep lurking around the forums to take in any info I can in the mean time.[/quote]
Relax and have a good time, NEVER PANIC, you should practice braking just to see how much pressure brings up the rear tire, not stunter style but where it starts to lift, also squeeze the lever don't grab a handful all at once you will be amazed by the difference it makes. If you think you are going into a turn too fast don't panic, either turn in (you will probably make it) or slow down as much as you can before riding off the track, then use the rear brake to slow down ( use the front in the grass and you will probably crash) We go to the track to do this because when you go off the track there is room to stop, no cars, trees, or guardrails....

You should find markers that you reference for braking points, turn in, corner apex, and a mark to accelerate out of the corner to (exit apex) learning to identify these points early ( watch the guys in the orange shirts) and hitting them will help you greatly as you progress.

HAVE FUN and be safe

striker3034

Thanks for all the great info. My girlfriend will be coming with me and I was wondering if there are things to do or see for folks that aren't riding? She can keep herself entertained for the most part but I wouldn't want it to be a bad experience for her. I was also wondering about bike numbers, I see I can enter my bike number on my member profile, but will I get assigned a number or am I free to pick it so long as it isn't already taken?

devildogae

My wife comes with me, so watches the bikes, or will read a book. Not much to do in the pits but get out of the sun, talk with you neighbors, if she likes to throw a couple back, she can!

You pick your number you want, then you must display it, and the front is easiest if its not painted on. If your in B group, say hello, I'm riding the black Ninja zx6r with blue tape.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! Definitely get an EZ-Up type canopy. You don't want to be sitting out in the hot sun all day. Just remember to tie it down at all four corners to heavy objects like a grill, toolbox, bucket of sand, whatever. Even if you think it's not windy.;)
As mentioned, just pick whatever number you want and display it on the bike, doesn't matter if someone else has it. The Rider's Manual describes where to place it.

Focus on being smooth with all inputs and learning the lines. Speed will come with good technique. Ask the CRs for tips on body position.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Welcome to NESBA! If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask..

CBRtist

striker3034;281628 wrote: My girlfriend will be coming with me and I was wondering if there are things to do or see for folks that aren't riding? She can keep herself entertained for the most part but I wouldn't want it to be a bad experience for her.
Before I rode track and before our daughter, I'd be bored for the most part :asleep:. I learned to bring my laptop, lots of movies and did a lot of napping. You can also assign her various pit crew duties ;)

striker3034

CBRtist;281719 wrote: You can also assign her various pit crew duties ;)
Haha! That's just what I had in mind. I'm already trying to talk her into wiping it down between go's and helping do post and pre ride checks.

darkhorse

I remember my first track day... its a pretty tense first couple sessions, but the great thing about B-class is that the track thins out a ton after lunch. Only advice is to pace yourself....and bring food!

emsuits

If you are a person that can take constructive criticism with out being offended you will do fine. The CR's are there to help with control, body position, learning the line and helping to keep you safe while you build your skills. Pay attention to all advice and make a conscious effort to change the bad habits. Speed will come without effort with better skills and habits and before you know it you'll be another track junky pinching pennies for your next fix!