helmet damage questions...

JeremyGSU

I see on the tech you are supposed to have a none "damaged" helmet. What exaclty constitutes that? Does a couple of paint chips constitute damage? I have never fallen or crashed in my helmet but dropped it from about 2 ft. once and the paint chipped ever so slightly on the top. Otherwise, I think it's fine. I don't want to arrive at an event to find out I can't ride because of my helmet.

Thanks.

Blaise

That will pass. Just remember that in the end the gear is only there to protect you, so you ultimately decide what you think is safe. Some people replace their helmet if it's ever dropped, others ride as long as they don't ever hit it hard.

rk97

the Arai video on "Jay Leno's Garage" says that a helmet should be able to withstand a 3-4 ft fall (off the seat of the bike for example) with no structural damage.

it just doesn't weigh enough to hurt itself. Now if your head is in it, the added mass means a 3-4 ft fall IS a reason to replace the lid.

like Blaise said, that should pass tech (assuming it fits right.)

Quickone4u

I agree with the above. I've heard of both happening. Personally, it would depend on how I dropped it and what and how the helmet hit. If I ever crashed one, well, it's time for a new one. Not meaning to thread jack here but, I know that most places recommend or require that you helmet was produced within the last 5 years and some say 3 years. I have one Suomy that is about 3 years or less old in perfect shape and an Arai I just bought that was produced if I remember right 4-5 years ago. The Arai has never been used and was bought on discount from a dealership. My question is will the helmets pass and be okay to use?

Burnall4

I just replaced my helmet after my fall "from grace", in all honesty it is just a nasty scratch. But better be safe than sorry! I don't skimp on my gear, I want to be able to continue to ride, walk, move my limbs and the better my gear and the better the condition it is in, the better of a chance i have to walk away from a spill...

jsin38

In the hockey world, helmets now come with expiration dates and are meant to be replaced within 5 years of being "born". The foams and plastics degrade over time.

Check with the manufacturer of your motorcycle helmet to see what is recommended. Mine has a manufacturing date of 11/06 on the label and I'll be using this as an excuse to get a new one soon.

Steve

an Arai I just bought that was produced if I remember right 4-5 years ago. The Arai has never been used and was bought on discount from a dealership. My question is will the helmets pass and be okay to use?
IIRC, Chris Moon posted once that an Arai is good for 5 years of use as long as it's within 7 year of manufacture. So it looks like according to that you have 2-3 years of it being a "good" helmet. I believe it will still pass tech though.

Bluenvy

i wrecked at beaver last year and scuffed my helmet up, about the size of half dollar, but it didnt go into the fiberglass and it wasnt deep at all and they reteched me and let me go back out. you're fine

Burnall4

Bluenvy;51014 wrote: i wrecked at beaver last year and scuffed my helmet up, about the size of half dollar, but it didnt go into the fiberglass and it wasnt deep at all and they reteched me and let me go back out. you're fine
exactly what i did....I will take the helmet with me, only as a backup though.

Yah, I am posting during my final exam, yah for graduating :saythat:

Bluenvy

Burnall4;51022 wrote: exactly what i did....I will take the helmet with me, only as a backup though.

Yah, I am posting during my final exam, yah for graduating :saythat:

yup thats what i do as well.
and gl on finals, i have my final 2 on wednesday then graduation for me as well :D

BonesDT

Bluenvy;51014 wrote: i wrecked at beaver last year and scuffed my helmet up, about the size of half dollar, but it didnt go into the fiberglass and it wasnt deep at all and they reteched me and let me go back out. you're fine
It's not the hard fiberglass shell you need to worry about, it's the styrofoam cushioning inside.

Styrofoam in a helmet acts just like an auto's suspension; however, it doesn't return back to it's original position; it stays smooshed.

If you dropped your helmet without your head in it, then it should be fine, the styrofoam did not compress. When your head is inside and something stops the momentum of your helmet, your head keeps going and compresses the styrofoam, which gradually slows your head to a stop. The helmet is no good anymore. If you ever get hit in that same spot again, there is no fluffy styrofoam to cushion you, just rock hard compressed styrofoam.

Passing NESBA helmet tech means nothing. It just means your shell isn't cracked, which hopefully you know better than to get that far. Neither NESBA nor anyone can see the status of the styrofoam. That's why you should never use a used helmet or share it without supervision. The only way to know how good a helmet is, is to fully know it's history.

Bluenvy

BonesDT;51036 wrote: It's not the hard fiberglass shell you need to worry about, it's the styrofoam cushioning inside.

Styrofoam in a helmet acts just like an auto's suspension; however, it doesn't return back to it's original position; it stays smooshed.

If you dropped your helmet without your head in it, then it should be fine, the styrofoam did not compress. When your head is inside and something stops the momentum of your helmet, your head keeps going and compresses the styrofoam, which gradually slows your head to a stop. The helmet is no good anymore. If you ever get hit in that same spot again, there is no fluffy styrofoam to cushion you, just rock hard compressed styrofoam.

Passing NESBA helmet tech means nothing. It just means your shell isn't cracked, which hopefully you know better than to get that far. Neither NESBA nor anyone can see the status of the styrofoam. That's why you should never use a used helmet or share it without supervision. The only way to know how good a helmet is, is to fully know it's history.

the OP's question was whether his helmet would pass tech if it fell off his bike and if it would missing some paint . i just shared my story about how i wrecked in mine, scuffed it up and still passed tech. indicating that he has nothing to worry about if it just fell off the bike.

and yes i understand how helmets work