help me get faster, advice please

Fencer

This was my best run of the day, most consistant times.

please excuse the shaky mount, It was my first time with a camera and I need to find a better place than the nose.

For sound turn the volume way up, just dont forget to turn it back down.
Tell me where to pick up time.

I know a few places from watching already.

1: I should use more of the track on corner exit.
2: I know I could have picked up at least a second per lap if I had been more aggressive on the passing. There are several times I backed off when I could have made it, but I didn't want to screw the rider I was passing.

It's only a trackday...

3: Help me to understand this...
If you watch, I am getting pulled on the straights by just about every bike on the track. I am on a 750 (tuned) , so I should be running them (600s) down on the straights, but instead I am catching them at the end with deeper corners and more corner speed, so theoretically I should be faster on the exit, but I am not. Help me with this please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64hX3txCwRo&feature=player_embedded

ronhix

You need to work with a CR. I only watched the first few minutes, but the most glaring issue is your lines. You are MILES off the apex.

There are other things as well, but I would recommend working with a CR at your next event so they can give you a personal evaluation and work with you directly at the track. That will be much more valuable than reading about what to do on the Internet.

noobinacan

I've heard the below from several folks: James Whittam, Neil Hodgson, freddie spencer ++
"In this sport, the harder you try...the harder it gets. Then you'll get frustrated. try even harder..go even slower. "
and the above's been experienced first hand by lots of folks here as well.

The 600's are pulling on you cause they're carrying more corner speed and earlier on the gas.
and braking later...cleaner lines list goes on...could be any of the above.

Its not gonna happen overnight. Its a fast sport and slow steady progress is good.
You need to throw this 750 vs 600 thing out the door and go out there to have fun...and you'll naturally go faster.
Start with working on lines and brake markers.

speaking of which, I need to clean up my lines as well and my approach is, first session and warm up laps. be on the line.
lean angle may not be there...speed may not be there..but be on the line. (That's directly from freedie Spencer -this month's PB issue)

I'll shut up. ha

usmc455

Looks like your way off your apex on turns you need to get tighter on them I'm not fastest guy out there but that much I can see work with a cr.

NickMcCoy

You could drop seconds by braking later and keeping the bike in the powerband. In the heavy braking zones you were letting off before the first board where you can easily go one or two more, turn one especially, you can carry tons more speed through that corner. And your 750 isn't making much power in the lower revs, try to keep it above 9 or 10k like a 600 and you won't lose so much on the exit. Other than one I noticed that the hill before the last couple corners you were taking pretty easy, you could make up a bunch of time there too.

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
ronhix;201477 wrote: You need to work with a CR. I only watched the first few minutes, but the most glaring issue is your lines. You are MILES off the apex.

There are other things as well, but I would recommend working with a CR at your next event so they can give you a personal evaluation and work with you directly at the track. That will be much more valuable than reading about what to do on the Internet.
:agree:

slowpoke

ronhix;201477 wrote: You need to work with a CR. I only watched the first few minutes, but the most glaring issue is your lines. You are MILES off the apex.

+2

You're also turning in too early and only using 1/2 the track on corner exits. This is a dangerous combination, and if not corrected can easily lead to a highside.

windblown

I'm not a fast guy but it looks like you were moving along at a decent clip, you just didn't know where to be on the track which is killing your time and makes you unpredictable to others.

I make up for lousy lean angles by concentrating on maximizing the track to my advantage and that allows me to be in the throttle more. You've got the lean angle, but your lines suck and that's slowing you down big time. Take your speed down a couple of notches and work on the technical aspects of where you need to be on the track. Once you have the lines down you can build the speed back in and it will seem SO MUCH easier to go fast. If you start blowing your lines again wash rinse, repeat. Work with as many CRs as you can, they each have slightly different styles in different parts of the track and you need to find the pieces that work for you.

Fastguy

stkr;201592 wrote:
NOTE: For those that are trying to learn how to go faster (like the OP, and myself), PLEASE, for the love of God, do NOT try to ride like Jake the next time you're at Barber. :haha:
I thought it was just me but damn. It was some things that I thought I saw and heard that I was like wow :eek:

OP,

Besides your riding line, gettin' on the gas sooner after the apex may help. It looked like a few of those other riders, regardless of bike, were making ground on you on some of the corner exits.

arhale09

I would again say that working with a CR on the track is gonna be your greatest source of good info, but watching your vid, I noticed something: It looks like, going through Museum turn and the exit of the chicane on the backside, that you aren't really clipping the apex as you go through the turn, but hitting the apex and then initiating the turn almost, and then running the bike out wide after that. And as one of the CRs stated above, it looks like you're turning in really early in a few spots. Most folks are trying to pick their bikes up and get on the gas after the apex, but it looks like you are doing your sharpest cornering after the apex, which would explain why riders are going away from you. But again, grab a CR at your next event, they would be much more helpful to you

Fencer

Summery,

my lines suck, get on the gas earlier.

As far as late braking, I thought I was doing a good job of that as I was still on the gas as the other riders braking. That seemed to be my passing zone.

The pace in the video was an easy and fun pace. No "oh shits" or scary moments or wondering if would make the turn. I know I could do better, just looking for input on how. Lines seem to be the most recurring answer.

Fencer

Saltman;201896 wrote: Fencer, are you riding Barber with Nesba in August?
going to depend on $$ and if spots are still open when time rolls around

lbsaxman;202257 wrote:
Are you an A rider ? If not wasnt that an inside pass in 2 ? Pretty bold to post that up ...
This group allowed inside passes in the "I" group

Fencer

arhale09;201627 wrote: I would again say that working with a CR on the track is gonna be your greatest source of good info, but watching your vid, I noticed something: It looks like, going through Museum turn and the exit of the chicane on the backside, that you aren't really clipping the apex as you go through the turn, but hitting the apex and then initiating the turn almost, and then running the bike out wide after that. And as one of the CRs stated above, it looks like you're turning in really early in a few spots. Most folks are trying to pick their bikes up and get on the gas after the apex, but it looks like you are doing your sharpest cornering after the apex, which would explain why riders are going away from you. But again, grab a CR at your next event, they would be much more helpful to you
Helpful insite, thank you