Help me I.D a part

treker8098

Just got home from Road Atlanta and while removing the belly pan from my '98 GSXR 600, I found a small part and need help identifying what it might be. See the attached pictures. The part measures .250" in length, not across the curve. I have not owned this bike long and not sure how long the part has been around before it landed in the pan.

Thanks for the help!

Hugh

Meat

Looks similar to a valve spring retainer, but it is lacking something to grip the valve. Just thinking out loud to try and possibly help someone else think of what it really is.

treker8098

I thought the same and figured it was an old one tha had been around the motor for a while.

Thanks for the help!

Steve

Sorry, I can't hep you ID it, but it is possibe it was laying on the track and it got kicked up into your belly pan? It looks like a spacer to me. :dunno:

John#12

I don't know what the part is either. It looks like half of something. Maybe it is from under the seat somewhere.

I came home from a track day once and found a seat latch and all its fasteners in the belly pan. The bike had 18K street miles on it before seeing the track, then I start taking it to the track and stuff started coming loose and or falling off. It is easy to underestimate what sustained high rpm can do to fasteners.

John
Midwest I #12

Joe Vital

Flip it over and let's see the other side. .25 across is too big for a valve keeper on a motorcycle. There isn't a ridge where I would one to be on the inside of the curve nor is tapered as a keeper would be.
Is it steel? I am inclined to agree with Steve, it looks like a sleeve or spacer of some sort.

sobottka

if you found it in your belly pan who cares what it is ...its junk your tires picked up. throw it away!

treker8098

Bingo! Chain roller was it. The previous owner had riveted the master link and that is where two rollers are missing. Now I will need to decide if just a chain or more is needed. Thanks for the catch!!!