Help with 2000 GSX-R 750

JayhawkInDC

Alright, so after spending the weekend working on the bike, I cannot get it to start. It will crank (although the battery is low on power), the fuel pump is working, and it started just fine last week before I started messing around with it.

I had the airbox off, but replaced all of the connectors and hoses appropriately, I had the fuel tank off, but connected the both the fuel line and the fuel pump connector properly. As I said I checked the fuel pump and it is spewing gas correctly.

Beyond the battery and the spark plugs, what else do I need to try? Is there anything in the wiring harness (from the dash connectors (white, yellow and black forward) that I could have screwed up that would still allow it to turn over but not fire?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Matt H

try a new battery. You'd be surprised how much that can mess with these things.

Any PowerCommander or Yosh EMS? What else, if anything, did you touch?

Matt H

if you want to try a battery or something, I have a 2002 750 sitting in my garage, and I'm in Gaithersburg. Heck - I'm parting the thing out of you end up needing anything.

JayhawkInDC

Matt,
That could be very helpful actually. There is no power commander or anything on there. The only stuff I touched in terms of wiring was the turn signal lights, which I took out because it was clogging up the space under my race fairings. I left everything else alone. I did retape and repackage the wiring, but no reconnecting of anything.

Is the battery you have strong, and if so, what do you want for it?

Tony A

How much retape and packaging, Meaning did you move some of the rear harness around. if so you may have set a tip sensor or something in a not happy postion.

JayhawkInDC

You know....that is a good possibility.

I pulled the major components in the tail out to clean around them. I put them all back in place, but they definitely were upside down at various times. Would I need to reset the TO (or other) sensor? If so where and how?

Tony A

well if they all went back like they came out you should be fine, but it may be worth a dbl check to besure they did get mounted the correct way.

HighWay

The tip over sensor looks like a relay (small square box). It's in a rubber sleeve mounted to the battery tray right by the ECU.

I bought a wrecked 03 750 that would crank but not start because it was mounted upside down.

JayhawkInDC

Update: The bike still has not started, but I think it is a battery issue. I took it in to have it tested and it failed miserably. I am going to put a new one in and see how it turns out.

Also, the TO sensor was untouched in my cleaning and repacking of wires.

I will update everyone once I have a battery in place!

Thanks for your help!

Matt H

Darrell - sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner. Let me know if you need anything. Again, if you want, feel free to hit me up (and we can even meet up) if you want to try any parts before shelling out money for anything, or if you just want some help. Hope you get it sorted!

JayhawkInDC

'twas the battery. Half a crank and the thing fired up! Thank god, cause I was dreading the "I screwed it up, please fix it" moment at a shop!

Now for the fun stuff, brake cleaning, spark plug changing, radiator flushing and tire changing!

Happy riding!