Help with a Bike issue

fclark00

I need help with a bike issue. My friends bike is making a metallic clank when riding it. I checked the chain and rear sprocket and everything looked good. The chain was loose so i thought maybe it was hitting the swing arm so we tightened it. This made the noise louder. It is also definitely not the chain because we made it tight enough that it was not possible to touch the swingarm. When we put the chain back to a normal tension the noise lessoned. When you ride you can feel the clank lightly vibrate though the bike up through the rear sets. it definitely sounds like its coming from the swingarm though. When you turn the bike off and coasts it still makes the noise. It seems to happen with each complete rotation of the chain or something else like that. Any ideas what this might be? The bike is a 2000 r6. Thanks in advance.

nk140

Are you sure one of the links in the chain is not binding? My bike made a similar sound and I found out it was a seized link.

fclark00

Well I thought that it was the chain but I rotated the whole chain and never saw anything. I'll check again though. I didn't get a chance to pull the tire off so I will do that this weekend. It definitely sounded like the chain I just couldn't see anything on it making that noise.

avizpls

#11-A
check the chain tension at all places. It can be tighter in one spot than the others. Quite annoying.

nk140

^exactly....I thought my chain was fine until I checked the tension in other places and noticed that it had no slack in some places and over an inch of play in other areas. I noticed that spinning the wheel in reverse will show the binding link better.

chutch

I had a similar problem. Couldn't figure out what it was either till I checked the chain tension on both sides and found the problem. Looked at the chain real good and actually found that one of the little cylinder parts that space the two sides of the link and fits between the gear teeth (forgive me I can't think of an appropriate name for it) was cracked and part of it was missing. Guess what I am saying is check the chain real good or if you have the funds get a new chain and see if that works. It did me.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Rear wheel bearings?????

That would cause noise and vibration.

dbarufaldi

IIRC, on that vintage R6, there is a rear spacer inside the wheel, to hold the bearings apart and not let the axle bolt crush the sprocket and cush drive into the wheel housing. If that's missing, you will get contact and vibration from the rear hub, which could transmit through the swingarm to the rearsets. Worth checking out.

Dan B