Here it is!

HavocCat

Chris
Lucky enough, someone was recording behind me when I had my off on Monday! I've watched it quite a few times and have come to this- for some reason, on the lap of the off, I am not off the bike as far in turn 6 as I was in previous laps, causing more lean angle. I was also working on carrying more speed through 6 and 7 at this time in the day, so maybe pushing a little too hard and rode over my head a bit. Thoughts?

N2 Summit Point Main I Group 4/6/15 (Crash):

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
You were hanging off the bike a little less in the crash, but I think the main contributor was trying to keep up with the CR. If you watch you two going into turn 6, he goes in with a bit more entry speed (notice the gap between you two get larger before he even apexes), and maintains/builds that speed. You entered 6 at your normal pace, and tried to make up time on the throttle coming out.

You got good speed with an empty track. I would focus less on overall speed, and focus more on maintaining your current pace in traffic. At the 0:20 second mark: Going into turn 3, you saw the group of riders ahead of you. Your entry speed and pace would have allowed you to get around the rider easily, even on the less than ideal line you were on (as he had the line you wanted). You could have made the pass cleanly, but you hesitated and backed off a little. Nothing wrong with that, if you weren't comfortable making the pass then you shouldn't have done it. But if you weren't comfortable passing in 3, you revert back to your Novice group line of thinking for passing. Instead of going your normal pace into Turn 3, you back off a little, let him get ahead some, then go through 3 and pass him coming out of the corner as you both stand the bike up - Allowing you to use the optimal line on track for the quickest speed. Instead, you came out of 3, hesitated again about passing him, then made (What I thought) was a sketch pass right before going into 4. Your "window of opportunity" for passing will only get smaller the faster you go. And the more you hesitate, the smaller you're making that window for yourself.

Mikey75702

You were hanging off the bike a little less in the crash, but I think the main contributor was trying to keep up with the CR. If you watch you two going into turn 6, he goes in with a bit more entry speed (notice the gap between you two get larger before he even apexes), and maintains/builds that speed. You entered 6 at your normal pace, and tried to make up time on the throttle coming out.

You got good speed with an empty track. I would focus less on overall speed, and focus more on maintaining your current pace in traffic. At the 0:20 second mark: Going into turn 3, you saw the group of riders ahead of you. Your entry speed and pace would have allowed you to get around the rider easily, even on the less than ideal line you were on (as he had the line you wanted). You could have made the pass cleanly, but you hesitated and backed off a little. Nothing wrong with that, if you weren't comfortable making the pass then you shouldn't have done it. But if you weren't comfortable passing in 3, you revert back to your Novice group line of thinking for passing. Instead of going your normal pace into Turn 3, you back off a little, let him get ahead some, then go through 3 and pass him coming out of the corner as you both stand the bike up - Allowing you to use the optimal line on track for the quickest speed. Instead, you came out of 3, hesitated again about passing him, then made (What I thought) was a sketch pass right before going into 4. Your "window of opportunity" for passing will only get smaller the faster you go. And the more you hesitate, the smaller you're making that window for yourself.

I would agree... Looks like you saw a gap forming between you and the CR, and you tried to make it up with throttle mid corner, and spun the rear.

HavocCat

Chris
I do get real hesitant around traffic. It's one thing that every CR that has rode with me has pointed out.

I too hate the pass I made before turn 4.

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Aftet watching it looks like you were adding lean angle as you were exiting 6. Most likely you were adding throttle too. Not a good combination. You should sneak the throttle open gently as you exit 6 to the outside of the track. Let your drive carry you to the edge to set up for the entry to 7. As you sneak open the throttle, you should be taking away lean angle. Body position will definitely help but you still need to remeber that anytime you want to add throttle, you need to be taking away lean angle too.

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
By the way, you know the REAL reason you crashed is because you painted your bike! New paint is attracted to asphalt.

Seriously, glad you are ok and are trying to learn from the crash. The hardest thing about getting past a crash is trying to understand why it happened. Once you know what you did to cause the crash, you can be more aware of the situation for the next time.

HavocCat

Chris
Best thing to do to learn, I was hoping someone had caught it on video, and I do remember trying to pick up speed to keep up with the CR after OttoMan mentioned it...

HavocCat

Chris
Tina Marie will be okay, she came out of wound care the other day and is feeling much better. She's getting a few replacement parts but nothing serious, she's in the short term recovery ward right now...

HavocCat

Chris
Awesome. I just realized under your forum name what it said and had an hearty laugh.

So thank you for that.

This guy from noiseless productions takes some awesome shots.

o6JcOAf.jpg

The turn in question!

I quite enjoy my body position here versus what it used to be. I was really working on it all weekend. Biggest thing I was telling myself was to really try to exaggerate the upper body off the bike.

In shots from last year I almost look a bit crossed up, and I think I have improved a bit. So that's a positive result of the weekend.

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
That is a great shot and your body position looks really good there! As you progress you will find that you will always be refining. Keep it up!