Hey guys, track nooblet from NC

Garrison

I'll be doing my first track day at Barber in august and I'm absolutely stoked about it. :D
Any pointers you guys can give me to practice before the big day?

Meat

Barber......you picked an awesome track for your first track day!

Practice faking like you are calm ;) I was so freaked out my first few track days, then I figured out just about everyone is really cool and nice at the track.

You are really going to love Barber. It is really top notch.

eE jeremy

August? The suspense is going to kill you haha, you should sign up for an earlier date, you'll probably want to do some more once you get out there, August is already near the end of the really nice weather.

Quickone4u

:haha:
Meat;53800 wrote: Practice faking like you are calm ;) I was so freaked out my first few track days, then I figured out just about everyone is really cool and nice at the track.
That's hilarious and true! I'm already practicing calming myself down for my first trackday coming up at VIR July 4th lol:D Hope it helps!

Meat

eE jeremy;53805 wrote: August? The suspense is going to kill you haha, you should sign up for an earlier date, you'll probably want to do some more once you get out there, August is already near the end of the really nice weather.
Maybe in Chicago, but in Alabama it is still very hot.

I was wondering about the August date as well. I mean is he walking his bike there ;)

Meat

Quickone4u;53810 wrote: :haha:

That's hilarious and true! I'm already practicing calming myself down for my first trackday coming up at VIR July 4th lol:D Hope it helps!
Awesome!!

I am going to VIR for the first time on May 15th. I am always so nervous my first time at a new track. I worry about going so slow that someone will think I ran out of gas. Then I find some other guys that are riding just as slowly as I am and I feel much better.

All I can say is, work on being smooth until your confidence builds. If I go out too hard at a new track, I ride like a moron and don't do very well the whole day. When I start pretty slow and relaxed, my confidence builds and I end up riding much better towards the end of the day.

I can't wait for VIR, I hear it is awesome.

BigKid

Hey Meat, it is actually really, really, really important that you take your time when learning a new track. I actually mean....GO 50% and gradually add speed. If you run out there and try to add speed right away you WILL BE THAT GUY later in the day that is off the line holding everyone up. First two sessions take it easy, keep an eye on the CR's line and learn the track. We always say, if you can't do it right going slow you are never going to do it right going fast. ALSO, if you have an opportunity to walk the track in the morning before tech you will learn more about a track walking it than you can in 10 years riding it. Same as before, you learn more going slow. I love learning new tracks because I know how to. Freddie Spenser School specialized in teaching how to learn new tracks before setting a wheel on them.