Hi again from NJMP TB on 8/12and 8/13

GixerEd1

Just completed 2 my first two trackdays with NESBA at NJMP Thunderbolt.

Well, probably more like 1.5 trackdays, since Tuesday was rained out for most of the day. If you didn't get in on the morning session before the rain hit, and you were resolute enough to stick around, you were rewarded with 3 sessions from about 4pm to 7pm. There were some puddles and rivers running along the track (and race lines), but everyone made the best of it.

I was just a bit dismayed by the amount of crashes on Monday. It seemed like there was at least one crash every session, with every group. I rode in the Intermediate Group, and I remember a session where we got the red flag, pulled off the track, waited on pit lane, was eventually sent back out after the crash was tended too, and then there was another crash.

Some were attibuting the crashes to poor track conditions left over from the 24 Hours of Lemons event that weekend. I can see how maybe some of the crashes could be because of track conditions, but it felt like there were many riders pushing too hard.

Plus, there were a lot of riders on Monday. I heard we had 55 riders in the Intermediate Group, which is an excessive amount of riders, no? And even the Beginner Group had 45 riders. Aren't groups limited to 35 riders max?

Despite all this, I had a good time and remain confident in NESBA. Hopefully the next time will be less of a crash-fest, and no rain.

Thanks again to NESBA and all the CR's that took the time to help and advise us as the days went on.

And it was great to put faces to some of the names I've corresponded with here on the forum.

Til the next event!

ToddG

Control Rider
Director
GixerEd1;284721 wrote:
Some were attibuting the crashes to poor track conditions left over from the 24 Hours of Lemons event that weekend. I can see how maybe some of the crashes could be because of track conditions, but it felt like there were many riders pushing too hard.

Plus, there were a lot of riders on Monday. I heard we had 55 riders in the Intermediate Group, which is an excessive amount of riders, no? And even the Beginner Group had 45 riders. Aren't groups limited to 35 riders max?
We checked the track and the condition of the track was good, the AMA guys even confirmed this.

The maximum number of riders is 55 on Thunderbolt for each group, this number varies from track to track, although busy there is still plenty of room out there to get around.

I'm glad you still had a good couple of days and look forward to seeing you back out!

Regards,
Todd

GixerEd1

Wassup Todd!

Yup, keeping the faith and definitely looking forward to my next NESBA trackday.

ToddG;284727 wrote: We checked the track and the condition of the track was good, the AMA guys even confirmed this.

The maximum number of riders is 55 on Thunderbolt for each group, this number varies from track to track, although busy there is still plenty of room out there to get around.

I'm glad you still had a good couple of days and look forward to seeing you back out!

Regards,
Todd

CBRtist

I rode both days all sessions. I've been going to track for 7+ years and riding for about 1. While my husband and I had some frustrations with Monday, it's just the nature of the beast :dunno: I've seen crashy crowded days at XYZ clubs... now those can be :wow:

There are just so many variables converging at the track.... People's mindsets, individual personalities, goals, experience, egos (That's a big one. Wish people would just leave it at the door.) It's difficult to neatly sort that all into different categories. Even though information IS being presented in meetings, is everyone truly listening? Are they all asking the questions they should before going out there? I know I take careful notes and listen and I STILL will miss something (ergo the "mandatory" to be at every meeting and hear stuff over and over and OVER again).

Crowd control can be easy or hard... depending on the crowd. NESBA does well overall from many perspectives including safety.

I thought we were fortunate to have that rain and looooong B Group meeting and we all got a lot out of it. I always like it when an additional meeting occurs after the first session in addition to the lunch meeting, but to have it grouped into one big meeting was even better.

Sounds like you had a great time regardless and you'll find that even bad days will teach you a thing or two. For me, it ends up being how NOT to target fixate on a crash and grab the brake when something unexpected comes up. These situations will come up even on the best days, so you can never be overprepared :)

PATBAROK

Ed-thanks for the frosty again man-see u soon!!

Spork-thanks for keeping an eye on my trailer when it was next to yours..

trekuhl

Control Rider
crashes are always unfortunate, but like Todd said, the AMA guys had no problems getting around, granted thats what they do for a living! A group had a wreck in T5 i think first session which is always the corner that seems to accumulate accidents (its a "Get thru it" corner not a "make up time" corner) the other wreck in A group was someone running off and back on in the chicane area and wreaking havoc with traffic coming thru there. perhaps the rider has a mechanical or something funky, that isn't typical in A group (i have seen that happen multiple time in B/I).

Obviously the conditions weren't that bad to merit the amount of flags...i think we all just need to take conditions into account and back it down 5-10% and focus on the smoothness. after the rains that first A session i saw either May of Yates sliding their bike about a foot thru the water in the fishhook and regaining traction which was amazing. i certainly wasn't going to try it myself though. sometimes we push way too hard instead of letting the track come in to us...